NHL 12 Be A GM Tricks & Tips and things you do

Billy Mays Here*

Wow, first season with the Wild and Zach Phillips is a 68 overall with B-, B-, B- potential. The very next season, he's a 72 overall with an A, B-, B potential. Talk about a jump in potential.

Vegas is better

Mar 4, 2011
This was my exact team I made through the fantasy draft lol: Centre: Crosby, Tavares, Toews, Seguin, Schenn, RNH
LW: Pacioretty, Stalberg, JVR, Versteeg
RW: Eberle, Kessel, Kane, Simmonds
D: Aulie, Del Zotto, Fowler, Franson, Hamonic, Suter, Schenn, Doughty, Karlsson, Weber
G: Quick, Lundqvist

That's impossible to do through the fantasy draft as nearly all of those players are taken in the first round automatically (Weber, Doughty, Toews, Crosby, Kessel, Lundqvist just off the top of my head). So, I highly doubt that was your exact team you made through the fantasy draft. You either traded away all your draft picks, all your high trade value prospects or you selected players for the CPU. Even through those trades, it would be difficult to ice that squad after a fantasy draft. But, that team, sir, is not one you can draft through a fantasy draft in NHL 12 - at all.

JumboThornton92

May 20, 2010
Atlantic Canada
I always upgrade Medical Staff first because its good for injurys.

"In free agency. If you see a couple RFA's you like, look at the Cap Space of their teams and see which one has the lowest = Least Likely to match."

I've played NHL for years but don't know where I can check team salaries/cap space.

During free agency you can make trades and on the trade screen you can see how the teams cap space and on the contracts menu you can switch teams :)

Last edited:

KesselLooksLikeRadar*

This was my exact team I made through the fantasy draft lol: Centre: Crosby, Tavares, Toews, Seguin, Schenn, RNH
D: Aulie, Del Zotto, Fowler, Franson, Hamonic, Suter, Schenn, Doughty, Karlsson, Weber

Have fun with the cap!

Falcon63

May 29, 2012
^Also, you can just go to the contracts screen and scroll through the teams. Cap space is at the top right. And as said above, at the trade screen. But contracts obviously gives you a better look for years and years to come as well.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
That's impossible to do through the fantasy draft as nearly all of those players are taken in the first round automatically (Weber, Doughty, Toews, Crosby, Kessel, Lundqvist just off the top of my head). So, I highly doubt that was your exact team you made through the fantasy draft. You either traded away all your draft picks, all your high trade value prospects or you selected players for the CPU. Even through those trades, it would be difficult to ice that squad after a fantasy draft. But, that team, sir, is not one you can draft through a fantasy draft in NHL 12 - at all.

I maybe traded for 2-3 players. But i can tell you honestly I got the majority of this team from the fantasy draft. As I said earlier people like RNH, Schenn's, Fowler etc. I got them all in the later rounds.

Fan of The Game

Apr 3, 2007
USA

How did you get Crosby, Toews, Kane, Kessel, Weber, Doughty, Lundqvist, Seguin, Suter in the first nine round when the typically are all gone by no later than round 3 or 4? That is even being generous saying you use the default rosters.

I ask because I usually see Crosby, Towes, and Doughty go in the top ten with Lundqvist, Kane, Weber going sometime in the first.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
How did you get Crosby, Toews, Kane, Kessel, Weber, Doughty, Lundqvist, Seguin, Suter in the first nine round when the typically are all gone by no later than round 3 or 4? That is even being generous saying you use the default rosters.

I ask because I usually see Crosby, Towes, and Doughty go in the top ten with Lundqvist, Kane, Weber going sometime in the first.

I went first overall and grabbed Crosby, second round got like Toews, 3rd was Lundqvist. I think the 2-3 I traded was for Doughty, Weber, Kane. But it was weird it may have been a glitch but in the first round the CPU kept taking veterans that were like 80-90. Rarely taking the superstars.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
BTW i think i got like Kessel around 8 or so and Seguin around round 12

sdude5

Jun 16, 2011
The most important one:

Day 1, before you do anything else in GM, get all your GM relationships up to A+ by attempting to swap 7th round picks. They'll deny it every time (unless you use your 2012 pick, which has less value) but your GM relationship will go up. Do the rivals and poor relationships first, then get the neutrals to good and, finally, the goods to great. Tons of GM points plus, when you have good relationships with other teams, they occasionally give you really sweet deals.

You should be able to get 500 points before the end of the 1st pre-season.

I also disagree with evenly spending points on the 3 others. Medical is completely worthless after a few years as number of injuries drops through the floor even if you don't put a single point into it (and it's 100% completely useless if you don't sim), so I'd just drop that off the list completely. As for Pro vs. Amateur, it depends how you want to build your team; through the draft, all into amateur; through trades, all into pro. At worst, just split points between the two and not into medical.

i tried this strategy with the new york rangers and it really work for anything from 2013 to 2017 6th and 7th rounds picks which got pittsburgh rep up to good, but when i tried with new tork islanders it only went up to neutral

Last edited:

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
i tried this strategy with the new york rangers and it really work for anything from 2013 to 2017 6th and 7th rounds picks which got pittsburgh rep up to good, but when i tried with new tork islanders it only went up to neutral

Got all of mine to great in about 45 minutes. Offer your 2012 7th for the other teams 2012 7th, then change their pick to 2013, 2014, etc... Up to 2017. Then change yours up to 2013, 2014 etc... Up to 2017. Then do the same with their 2013. Just never do the same trade twice.

Last edited:

Falcon63

May 29, 2012
Got all of mine to great in about 45 minutes. Offer your 2012 7th for the other teams 2012 7th, then hangs their pick to 2013, 2014, etc... Up to 2017. Then change yours up to 2013, 2014 etc... Up to 2017. Then do the same with their 2013. Just never do the same trade twice.

This.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
the problem is you can easily fix trades and stuff

so you gotta really dumb down to keep everything even no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad