NHL 12 Be A GM Tricks & Tips and things you do

JumboThornton92

May 20, 2010
Atlantic Canada
Looking for everyone to post whats works for them. I'll start off. Some of this might be common knowledge and if anyone has better ways of doing the things I mentioned let me know!

GM Upgrades. I usually try to get Assistant Coach up the fastest and balance the other 3.

Trade for the prospects and young guns I want in year 1 while they're trade value is still low.

In free agency. If you see a couple RFA's you like, look at the Cap Space of their teams and see which one has the lowest = Least Likely to match.

I make sure my AHL teams are good enough to make the playoffs/win calder cup so that my prospects get their experience and don't lose potential. If I have an early NHL playoff exit I send my lower guys down.

Coaching strategys do matter, and I want to score a lot of goals. My offence usually goes something like Full Attack, Overload, Overload, Crash The Bench, Crash The Bench and for PP Overload. Defence I can't remember off the top of my head but my good teams let in less than 190 goals per year sometimes in the 170s.

If you see those weiners that you didn't sign but take up spot on your AHL team, instead of signing them and trading (then free agents won't want to sign with you). See if you can sign then to a 1 Way deal and bring them up to the NHL team to drop them to see if they get claimed (Might not work for every player but works for some).

Obvious one is that players will take less money and sign for more years then what they are looking for.

Sign Granlund (Not sure why Minnesota lets him go every year, wish I could fix this actually for more realism but it is just a video game)

JumboThornton92

May 20, 2010
Atlantic Canada
Line chemistry doesn't matter. If you follow 2BC productions their guy Johnny Superbman found out from the EA Sports NHL 12 guys that just the individual ratings are taken into account during the simulation. So there is no real advantage to getting a PWF-PLY-SNP other than you may like the players on your first line. If you look at his current GM mode Commentary (Tampa Bay Lightning) he practices this and won back to back cups. So if you have a young PLY Center developing and he has a good faceoff and defensive category he can play the 3rd or 4th line for you if your AHL is getting full

He's also masterful at trades and makes his core players contracts run out at the same time.

I also edited some of the draft players so that Yakupov goes first. I think I edited around 30 guys and created some more. Not so much depth for the 2013 draft but I did create Seth Jones, edited Nathan Mackinnon and a few others. As well as the top drafted prospects in the game

Last edited:

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
The most important one:

Day 1, before you do anything else in GM, get all your GM relationships up to A+ by attempting to swap 7th round picks. They'll deny it every time (unless you use your 2012 pick, which has less value) but your GM relationship will go up. Do the rivals and poor relationships first, then get the neutrals to good and, finally, the goods to great. Tons of GM points plus, when you have good relationships with other teams, they occasionally give you really sweet deals.

You should be able to get 500 points before the end of the 1st pre-season.

I also disagree with evenly spending points on the 3 others. Medical is completely worthless after a few years as number of injuries drops through the floor even if you don't put a single point into it (and it's 100% completely useless if you don't sim), so I'd just drop that off the list completely. As for Pro vs. Amateur, it depends how you want to build your team; through the draft, all into amateur; through trades, all into pro. At worst, just split points between the two and not into medical.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Line chemistry doesn't matter. If you follow 2BC productions their guy Johnny Superbman found out from the EA Sports NHL 12 guys that just the individual ratings are taken into account during the simulation. So there is no real advantage to getting a PWF-PLY-SNP other than you may like the players on your first line. If you look at his current GM mode Commentary (Tampa Bay Lightning) he practices this and won back to back cups. So if you have a young PLY Center developing and he has a good faceoff and defensive category he can play the 3rd or 4th line for you if your AHL is getting full

He's also masterful at trades and makes his core players contracts run out at the same time.

I also edited some of the draft players so that Yakupov goes first. I think I edited around 30 guys and created some more. Not so much depth for the 2013 draft but I did create Seth Jones, edited Nathan Mackinnon and a few others. As well as the top drafted prospects in the game

Everyone is masterful at NHL 12 trades...

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
In free agency. If you see a couple RFA's you like, look at the Cap Space of their teams and see which one has the lowest = Least Likely to match.
If there is a FA I want, I just send Gomez to this team and send an offersheet.

Another thing, if you need prospects and have only a few picks, you can go to the trade screen and filter the players by their value (lowest to higher value) and spot young players with B- potential... They will be relatively cheap if they are B B B- (in any order), and they might end up being good. Traded a veteran for 3 of these players once, they all ended up 85, 87 and 89 (his potential bumped to A B B) so it can pay off a lot.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
The most important one:

Day 1, before you do anything else in GM, get all your GM relationships up to A+ by attempting to swap 7th round picks. They'll deny it every time (unless you use your 2012 pick, which has less value) but your GM relationship will go up. Do the rivals and poor relationships first, then get the neutrals to good and, finally, the goods to great. Tons of GM points plus, when you have good relationships with other teams, they occasionally give you really sweet deals.

I also disagree with evenly spending points on the 3 others. Medical is completely worthless after a few years as number of injuries drops through the floor even if you don't put a single point into it (and it's 100% completely useless if you don't sim), so I'd just drop that off the list completely. As for Pro vs. Amateur, it depends how you want to build your team; through the draft, all into amateur; through trades, all into pro. At worst, just split points between the two and not into medical.

I disagree with you for the points, pro is utterly useless even if you build through trades. I've always been under the assumption that the common priority is

Assistant Coach > Amateur Scouting > Medical > Pro

KesselLooksLikeRadar*

I disagree with you for the points, pro is utterly useless even if you build through trades. I've always been under the assumption that the common priority is

Honestly, this is priority.

Assistant Coach >> Amateur Scouting >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Medical = Pro.

Anyways, the trick I always use is this:

Get as many future/already #1 centre's as possible in year 1 (Toews and Nugent Hopkins are pretty easy to get... I dealt Huselius and Steve Mason for Toews). Trade all of your current NHLers with strangely high values for younger players. If you started out in FA, just replace them with one year deals.

At the end of first year, go to FA, search by UFA, and fill your team with highish potential guys (Usually b- guys, but sometimes you'll find B's in there). This'll be handy for later.

Second year, sim until the day before the trade deadline, and trade for the bottom 5 teams' first rounders (Depending on how many you can afford). You're going to want these guys in the 2013 draft:
Nathan Mackinnon
Rafael Lafontaine
Trent Lofthouse
Alex Carnevale
Chris Carlisle (He's a bit iffy)

This'll give you two wingers, two centres and one d-man. After this, if you have extra prospects from FA the previous year, deal them for Shea Weber, since his value is usually pretty low. If you can, get Adam Larsson too.

At this point, you can really do anything you want. Just make sure to trade away guys who will kill your cap for cheaper players with good potential. So long as you do that, you're good.

(This isn't a full out guide, but just some tips that I usually do).

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010

If you have excellent relationships AND a good Pro scout, you'll get more trade offers in your favour throughout the season.

Medical is only good the first few years; the further you go, the less frequently injuries happen, even without putting anything into Medical. It eventually gets to a point where they're so rare, you can go entire seasons without one of your players getting injured.

Billy Mays Here*

I've always wondered, does the player training under the coaching category matter? Player training is the one where you choose what stats you want the players to focus on in their training

Also, in the 2013 draft, make sure to draft Murray, Subban, and Teravainen. Murray usually falls to the 3rd or 4th rds, Subban you can usually get in the 5th or 6th rd, and Teravainen usually nevver even gets drafted so he's a freebe. They're all 71s right off the bat and all of them have B- potential. Teravainen is only 17 as well.

JumboThornton92

May 20, 2010
Atlantic Canada
I've always wondered, does the player training under the coaching category matter? Player training is the one where you choose what stats you want the players to focus on in their training

Also, in the 2013 draft, make sure to draft Murray, Subban, and Teravainen. Murray usually falls to the 3rd or 4th rds, Subban you can usually get in the 5th or 6th rd, and Teravainen usually nevver even gets drafted so he's a freebe. They're all 71s right off the bat and all of them have B- potential. Teravainen is only 17 as well.

I'm pretty sure that if you select a category on player training, thats where the boost will go for the overall rating. Not all of the XP gained, but most. Like If I put Nugent Hopkins to Playmaking. His playmaking will see a bigger boost then his Defensive Awareness per say. But they both go up rather quickly

JumboThornton92

May 20, 2010
Atlantic Canada
The most important one:

Never did worry about the gm relationships. I should try it out

Everyone is masterful at NHL 12 trades...

Haha we all look like genius' don't we
Honestly, this is priority.

Assistant Coach >> Amateur Scouting >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Medical = Pro.

Anyways, the trick I always use is this:

Get as many future/already #1 centre's as possible in year 1 (Toews and Nugent Hopkins are pretty easy to get... I dealt Huselius and Steve Mason for Toews). Trade all of your current NHLers with strangely high values for younger players. If you started out in FA, just replace them with one year deals.

At the end of first year, go to FA, search by UFA, and fill your team with highish potential guys (Usually b- guys, but sometimes you'll find B's in there). This'll be handy for later.

Second year, sim until the day before the trade deadline, and trade for the bottom 5 teams' first rounders (Depending on how many you can afford). You're going to want these guys in the 2013 draft:
Nathan Mackinnon
Rafael Lafontaine
Trent Lofthouse
Alex Carnevale
Chris Carlisle (He's a bit iffy)

This'll give you two wingers, two centres and one d-man. After this, if you have extra prospects from FA the previous year, deal them for Shea Weber, since his value is usually pretty low. If you can, get Adam Larsson too.

At this point, you can really do anything you want. Just make sure to trade away guys who will kill your cap for cheaper players with good potential. So long as you do that, you're good.

(This isn't a full out guide, but just some tips that I usually do).

Interesting. I usually tend to stick to realistic deals but I'm going to have a GM mode where I just go all out and see what crazy stuff happens.

Billy Mays Here*

I don't see how trading 7th rd picks builds GM rep. Every team I try to trade 7th rd picks with just says no and the GM rep stays the same.

Falcon63

May 29, 2012
The most important one:

Genius! I got 344 points from this!

Billy Mays Here*

I tried swapping 2012 and 2013 7th rd picks. They always denied the trade and my GM rep never went up so I don't know what you're talking about.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I tried swapping 2012 and 2013 7th rd picks. They always denied the trade and my GM rep never went up so I don't know what you're talking about.

You have to do it a lot to see your rep boost. It'll also go down if you make the exact same offer twice, so you've gotta use different picks every time. It'll take a good chunk of time to do it for every team, but it does work. Some teams are randomly more fickle than others (at least for me), so I've had to do things like a pair of 7ths for one of theirs, but they still won't take it, and it'll boost your rep if you stick with it.

Falcon63

May 29, 2012
Turn off CPU Trades and Waivers. A lot more realistic. I also often turn off injuries because they're too stupid as it is.

Or maybe turn it on, but only during the trade deadline and maybe FA?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I always upgrade Medical Staff first because its good for injurys.

"In free agency. If you see a couple RFA's you like, look at the Cap Space of their teams and see which one has the lowest = Least Likely to match."

I've played NHL for years but don't know where I can check team salaries/cap space.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Whenever I do a fantasy draft I just draft prospects. There is some good insider info for ya! But seriously rarely do prospects get taken so you can snag up a bunch early and then fill your roster with old guys on short contracts. You'll suck for a year or two but as soon as the prospects develop and the veterans retire you're golden.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
I dont like fantasy draft. Makes it way too easy. I do the prospects thing as barbara said but my team was like 100 in everything. My team was: Crosby, Tavares, RNH, Toews, B. Schenn, JVR, Lundqvist, Quick, Suter, Doughty, Franson, Karlsson etc. etc. Lol the cpu chooses just veterans pretty much. To prove this: I got RNH in the last round!

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
This was my exact team I made through the fantasy draft lol: Centre: Crosby, Tavares, Toews, Seguin, Schenn, RNH
LW: Pacioretty, Stalberg, JVR, Versteeg
RW: Eberle, Kessel, Kane, Simmonds
D: Aulie, Del Zotto, Fowler, Franson, Hamonic, Suter, Schenn, Doughty, Karlsson, Weber
G: Quick, Lundqvist

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
i find that for forwards its "Star Forwards (93+)" > Depth

In the offseason in free agency filter 2-way and then filter overall, see if theres a 78+ thats 24 or younger with any potential and good stat placement. They either become better then u expect or are cheap depth for both NHL and AHL. Win Win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->