NFL to start streaming service $5/month

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

For those cutting cord, $5/mo is much less than some of the upgrades for live TV some streaming services offer.

This makes too much sense. If only the NHL had a service that showed every game live for about the same price... maybe call it something like "Gamecenter" so you easily knew you could view every single game in a single centralized place?

Especially if it has a really good user interface so it's easy to find the games you want to see. Just a thought

Reactions: SoupNazi and Gumbo

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Dear NHL, I want a streaming service that:

- carries home and away feeds of *every* game, including playoffs​
- includes an NHL Network offering insightful, entertaining programming​
- provides live, in-depth coverage of the NHL Draft and free agency​
- provides live feeds of significant non-NHL hockey events - WJC, World Championships, Women's Worlds, etc.​

You're always boasting about how your fanbase is the most tech-savvy in sports. Start catering to it.

Undoubtedly some of the above is prevented by existing contracts. Get the army of lawyers you employ to renegotiate contracts as required. There's plenty of money to go around.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Apparently you can only get your area local game and prime time games. Useless.
Can only get them on your phone.

They're selling the games that Verizon had been giving everyone for free the last several years. It's a worthless package.

Perhaps the backlash will be big enough that the NFL will just make Sunday Ticket a separate streaming service and integrate NFL+ into it.
They won't be, Apple is in all likelihood going to be the Sunday Ticket holder.

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
Local and prime time games have been free for years on the app. So now they’re gonna make you pay?

Dear NHL, I want a streaming service that:

- carries home and away feeds of *every* game, including playoffs​
- includes an NHL Network offering insightful, entertaining programming​
- provides live, in-depth coverage of the NHL Draft and free agency​
- provides live feeds of significant non-NHL hockey events - WJC, World Championships, Women's Worlds, etc.​

You're always boasting about how your fanbase is the most tech-savvy in sports. Start catering to it.

Undoubtedly some of the above is prevented by existing contracts. Get the army of lawyers you employ to renegotiate contracts as required. There's plenty of money to go around.
I seriously don’t understand why they don’t have this yet. I was just looking for this service I assumed they had one but no. Center ice is the closest thing but that’s not a stand alone service. And Espn+ is limited.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
The NFL was doing this for free for the most part on their app with regard to local game streaming. Now they are charging for it.

The difference between NFL and NHL/MLB/NBA/MLS is that NFL games are over the air and not on regional sports networks that paid millions for the right to broadcast the games and may be their only real value for anyone to watch.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
You shouldn't have to have Apple TV just to have access to Sunday Ticket. It has been an issue for a long time. Competitors of DirecTV have complained about Sunday Ticket's exclusivity to them for years, with the situation getting worse when one such competitor, Comcast, became the owner of Sunday night broadcaster NBC. Now is the perfect opportunity to address that, by making Sunday Ticket a separate streaming service, complete with the option to buy teams, weeks, and games a la carte.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
You shouldn't have to have Apple TV just to have access to Sunday Ticket. It has been an issue for a long time. Competitors of DirecTV have complained about Sunday Ticket's exclusivity to them for years, with the situation getting worse when one such competitor, Comcast, became the owner of Sunday night broadcaster NBC. Now is the perfect opportunity to address that, by making Sunday Ticket a separate streaming service, complete with the option to buy teams, weeks, and games a la carte.
You do understand how much money they'd stand to lose, right?

It's not good business...

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
On the contrary, doing what I proposed would increase the amount of subscribers to Sunday Ticket, as there are currently many people who are avoiding it because of having to pay so much for all the Sunday afternoon games not on in their area, with no a la carte options. The people that do want it all would still want it all, but a whole new customer base - those who want teams, weeks, or single games a la carte - would complement them.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
On the contrary, doing what I proposed would increase the amount of subscribers to Sunday Ticket, as there are currently many people who are avoiding it because of having to pay so much for all the Sunday afternoon games not on in their area, with no a la carte options. The people that do want it all would still want it all, but a whole new customer base - those who want teams, weeks, or single games a la carte - would complement them.
You're wrong, as always.

The NFL makes more money taking the upfront payment and letting someone else market it.

Reactions: tank44

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Personally i switched to watching the nfl on nfl.com. cost is $100 and you can watch any team whether they are your local team or any team in the league.

The reason they do this is you have to wait for the game to end. There is no watching live games but that suits me perfectly. I watch no sports live so i can skip every single commercial and intermissions. Biggest issue is along with espn+ it is one of the worst apps around. Lots of crashes and the skip aheae feature might skip you to the 4 quarter when you only pressed skip 30 secs.

Reactions: varsaku

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad