OT: NFL Playoffs Thread

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
It simply does not matter that the dome teams were left out in that context, or even what they did.

I disagree. I want more data. The demarcation line for this 'analysis' is a rule that only effected the road teams. I want to know how the entire league's fumble stats changed from that date on and I 100% want to know how home and away fumble stats changed for everyone.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I disagree. I want more data. The demarcation line for this 'analysis' is a rule that only effected the road teams. I want to know how the entire league's fumble stats changed from that date on and I 100% want to know how home and away fumble stats changed for everyone.

The rule affected home and away teams both because you no longer provided balls for the away team in a mixed pool of footballs. Prior to 2007 you couldn't be sure of getting only the deflated balls, after 2007 you could.

Do you really think you're going to find that dome teams fumble stats were outside of the league trend like the Patriots? If you do think that, all I can tell you is write the author of the study and ask him about it.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Do you really think you're going to find that dome teams fumble stats were outside of the league trend like the Patriots? If you do think that, all I can tell you is write the author of the study and ask him about it.

I can't find all the data and I can't do it by touches but between '07-'14 the Pats fumbled, not lost but just put it on the ground, .9875 times per game. During the same time the Falcons fumbled .9625 times per game. In the previous 4 seasons, I apologize but that is as far back as I can find this data, the Pats fumbled 1.475 times per game and the Falcons fumbled 1.45 times per game. The Falcons decreased their fumbling 33.6% and the Pats 33.1%.

I know it isn't the exact same stat or encompassing the exact same time period but it is the best I can do at this time.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I can't find all the data and I can't do it by touches but between '07-'14 the Pats fumbled, not lost but just put it on the ground, .9875 times per game. During the same time the Falcons fumbled .9625 times per game. In the previous 4 seasons, I apologize but that is as far back as I can find this data, the Pats fumbled 1.475 times per game and the Falcons fumbled 1.45 times per game. The Falcons decreased their fumbling 33.6% and the Pats 33.1%.

I know it isn't the exact same stat or encompassing the exact same time period but it is the best I can do at this time.

Like you said, that's not per touch. It also includes the 2013 season where the Pats had two outlier games that accounted for enough fumbles to bring them back to league average.

Did you check the other dome teams or just the Falcons? What if the dome teams are closer to the Pats rate of fumbling, but the teams that play in bad weather aren't? How does that disprove the theory that the Pats are increasing their chance of holding on to the ball in bad weather, and then possibly coming closer to dome team fumble rates because of it?

Like I said, adding in the dome team data doesn't really change the point here. If all the dome teams fumble at a low rate and the Patriots are the only non-dome team fumbling at dome rates despite weather, it still looks bad for the Pats.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Like you said, that's not per touch. It also includes the 2013 season where the Pats had two outlier games that accounted for enough fumbles to bring them back to league average.

Did you check the other dome teams or just the Falcons? What if the dome teams are closer to the Pats rate of fumbling, but the teams that play in bad weather aren't? How does that disprove the theory that the Pats are increasing their chance of holding on to the ball in bad weather, and then possibly coming closer to dome team fumble rates because of it?

Like I said, adding in the dome team data doesn't really change the point here. If all the dome teams fumble at a low rate and the Patriots are the only non-dome team fumbling at dome rates despite weather, it still looks bad for the Pats.

Ok here is the data for the dome teams, I may have missed one but whatever.

Colts went from 1.2 to 1.0875 for a 9.4% decrease
Saints went from 1.625 to 1.1625 for a 28.5% decrease
Lions went from 1.2 to 1.5625 for a 30.2% increase
Rams went from 1.575 to 1.375 for a 12.7% decrease
Cards went from 1.85 to 1.6125 for a 12.8% decrease
Vikings went from 1.7 to 1.35 for a 20.6% decrease

So having gone through these numbers dome teams do not fumble less or if they do it isn't in any way significant IMO. And no I am not doing this for the rest of the league. And that the Pats improvement in ball protection wasn't so far out there that it was exceedingly unlikely without 'cheating' as the Falcons improvement was even better, though I guess maybe they were cheating also...

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
"I mean, it’s easy to figure out who did it,†Montana said. “Did Tom do it? No, but Tom likes the balls that way, obviously, or you wouldn’t have 11 of them that way without him complaining, because as a quarterback, you know how you like the ball. If it doesn’t feel like that, something is wrong. It’s a stupid thing to even be talking about because they shouldn’t have the rule anyway. If you want to see the game played at the best, everybody has a different grip, everybody likes a different feel.â€

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-tom-brady-ordered-footballs-to-be-deflated/

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Montana's more important comments had to do with his assessment that IF the balls were deflated then Brady certainly would have ordered it.

What? There is a big difference between knowing about it, as in gripping the ball and knowing it might not be 12.5, and ordering it IMO.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Not necessarily IMO. But by all means continue with the rush to judgement and using graphs of apparently very incomplete and inaccurate data to support your 'hands up don't shoot' position...

Well here is what I'm comfortable knowing:

1. There is a rule about the balls being at a certain level of pressure and Brady definitely likes it a certain bit.

2. Someone from the Patriots payroll manipulated the balls. Who remains to be seen but it was in their team's custody when it happened.

3. The Patriots are repeat offenders. They have shown a willingness to circumvent established rules in the past and got heavily fined and had to forfeit a 1st rounder due to this.

So:

There is a rule+someone from the payroll of the Pats was invloved in deflation+repeat offenders

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Someone from the Patriots payroll manipulated the balls. Who remains to be seen but it was in their team's custody when it happened.

Agreed that is most likely the case. But I'm willing to wait until the investigation is completed before deciding that is definitely what happened.

And if the equipment guy did do it I want to know if he did it on his own accord or if someone higher up asked him to do it. IMO what kind of penalty is imposed should go up quite a bit if it is determined to be the latter.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Are we giving our picks yet? This is an interesting matchup -- a young, very athletic team against the an older, savvy won. As badly as the Seahawks played against Green Bay, I like them to win. Firstly, Deflategate has to take a bit of a toll on the Patriots. The Seahawks have close to zero media attention on them the last two weeks, the Pats have had a ton of it 2) Brady has a history of blowing it against aggressive defences in the pressure playoff games (eg. the last 2 SB losses against the Giants).

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Ty to Darrell Bevel for not running Lynch on 2nd and goal.

Great game no matter who won. Sure beats the SB's when I was growing up during that NFC winning streak blowouts.

So much for football PSI.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
qdJSgjg.gif

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Dave Pell ‏@davepell 14 minutes ago

You just won the Super Bowl MVP, where are you going now?

"I'm going to get vaccinated."

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Came back from 10 down against the best defense in the league, with properly inflated balls no less. Not bad for a bunch of cheaters. :laugh:

You serious? They have an established pattern of bending and breaking the rules. If there's any team that deserves to win a Super Bowl the least, it's the New England Patriots. They stopped Seattle's previous drive on a defensive pass interference that went uncalled and the "winning" TD was a blatant push off.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00