OT: NFL Playoffs Thread

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm good with it if the others are.

They just mentioned a stat...I think they said 6 of the last 9 SB champs played in the wild card round. I don't see that happening this year. Top 2 seeds in each division should be big favorites at home. The only scenario is maybe if the Ravens somehow put together another miracle run through NE and Denver.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
If Detroit beats Dallas this is officially a great DC area sports weekend :-D

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Detroit looking like they will choke. If I see Opie Taylor smiling after this game I'm going to punch something.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
NFL should be embarrassed about this. They have some splainin to do. Even on that TD Smith was holding.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Even if they picked up the flag (which was stupid) how could they have possibly missed DEZ running on the field helmetless to get in an officials face to complain??

I feel bad for the lions but to be honest I'd much rather see the Cowboys play Green Bay next week.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
So what is the appropriate penalty for the Pats?

I really wish the Colts had put up a fight and it was within a score. Because then this thing would be a disaster.

While I doubt it really had that much to do with the score, I could see an argument that a team accustomed to playing with a deflated ball would have a distinct advantage.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
So what is the appropriate penalty for the Pats?

I really wish the Colts had put up a fight and it was within a score. Because then this thing would be a disaster.

Logic says that they were using them during the Baltimore game as well, which was within a score.

What do they deserve? Forfeiture of the Colts game. They cheated to win, undoubtedly. There is a specific rule against altering the balls after the officials inspect them ~ 2 hours before the game.

What's appropriate given they can't pull them from the Super Bowl? A year suspension for Belichick, fines, and lost draft picks. Sean Payton got a year suspension for the bounty thing, and it was his first offense. The Pats have been caught cheating before.

They'll get a slap on the wrist though. They're the NFL's darlings and Goodell is buddies with Kraft.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
This deflategate BS is just that, BS. Brad Johnson payed someone $7,500 to scuff up the 100 balls set aside for SB 37.

"I paid some guys off to get the balls right," Johnson now admits. "I went and got all 100 footballs, and they took care of all of them."

How much did it cost Johnson? "Seventy-five hundred (dollars)," he said.

"They took care of them."

The difference, of course, is that both teams used the same footballs in the Super Bowl. But the point is, quarterbacks want to control the feel and grip of the football and will do anything to ensure they are taken care of. For the record, Raiders QB Rich Gannon threw five interceptions in Super Bowl XXXVII.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/...o-have-footballs-altered-before-sb-37/2214490

So should TB forfeit their SB 37 win? Why does the NFL mandate balls used for kickoffs, FG's and Punts be out of the box new, but not the other balls? Non story, IMO.

Helps pass the 2 week wait for the SB nicely though. :laugh:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's more cheating from a cheating organization. Just because other people have allegedly gotten away with it doesn't make it right. The rules exist for a reason. You can't tell a cop "everyone else is going 65 in a 50" when you get pulled over doing 85.

Difficulty in enforcement and discovery after the game is over doesn't make it OK.

Did they test the balls used by the Colts? Were they cheating, too?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They did at halftime and they were good.

The Colts complained about this to the league after playing NE in November as well.

http://deadspin.com/report-nfl-was-aware-of-patriots-deflation-allegations-1680914291

Right. So it's not a sour grapes, everybody does it situation. It's another pattern of cheating. And the thing with cheating is it's banned for a reason: it gives an unfair advantage. You can't dismiss it. If it was harmless it would be legal. I've thrown and caught enough footballs in the rain and cold to know this matters. And if it didn't matter, people like Brad Johnson wouldn't be paying thousands of dollars to break the rules.

Who knows what else they've done? Either this year or last I noticed a pattern of them getting killed in the first half, and then miraculously blowing teams away in the 2nd. Those must have been some massive adjustments. I wonder if they were all legal (like listening to the other sideline's playcalls, maybe).

And maybe the Patriots aren't even in a position to play that game if some of the things they've probably done are exposed earlier. How many games did they cheat to win this year? Remember how BAD they were early in the year? And just like some of those games where they stunk in the 1st and rolled in the 2nd, they came on strong all of a sudden and beat up on the league the rest of the way.

Coincidence? Or some more cheating from a bunch of cheaters?

Finding out too late to change the outcome of the game doesn't mean the NFL should do nothing. Payton got suspended for a year for his role in bountygate. The people involved in deflate-gate should face punishment as well.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I hope the NFL sets an example when they sort it all out, so ridiculous. I wonder how it will be affected because of the Super Bowl opposed to say a regular season game.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I think the lack of outrage from current and former NFL QB's says a lot. Especially with a former SB winning QB saying he bribed NFL officials thousands of dollars to scuff up 100 footballs prior to SB 37.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
After that ridiculous cap penalty against the Skins the league doesn't have any credibility anyways so I'm 'meh' about the whole thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad