NFL/NCAA Coaching Carousel - 2022-23 Edition

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Does he run a 3-4 scheme? Always interesting when teams hire new DC who have to find new players when moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and vice versa. Generally takes a year or two to turn over some of the front 7 to make the switch into what you want.

Mostly see 4-3 in the nfl but I guess the more you grab guys from a certain coaching tree they will all use that similar scheme. Like the Seattle cover 3 used by several teams now due to Bradley, Quinn, Richard, Saleh, etc coming out of Seattle.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wonder what that means for Malik Willis that the hire was in-house.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wonder what that means for Malik Willis that the hire was in-house.
I doubt they put all of their eggs into his basket. Will certainly entertain adding to the QB room. Said a lot about Willis that they gave the starts to Dobbs who had very little nfl game action who arrived to the team in December to play the key games down the stretch for them.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I doubt they put all of their eggs into his basket. Will certainly entertain adding to the QB room. Said a lot about Willis that they gave the starts to Dobbs who had very little nfl game action who arrived to the team in December to play the key games down the stretch for them.
that coaching staff didn't seem obliged to give him another shot, given he should have known the offense better, given the GM had been fired. If I'm him, I'm hoping I get out. At the same time, switching offenses after 1 year is never good.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Does he run a 3-4 scheme? Always interesting when teams hire new DC who have to find new players when moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and vice versa. Generally takes a year or two to turn over some of the front 7 to make the switch into what you want.

Mostly see 4-3 in the nfl but I guess the more you grab guys from a certain coaching tree they will all use that similar scheme. Like the Seattle cover 3 used by several teams now due to Bradley, Quinn, Richard, Saleh, etc coming out of Seattle.

Yes. Panthers will be switching schemes.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
that coaching staff didn't seem obliged to give him another shot, given he should have known the offense better, given the GM had been fired. If I'm him, I'm hoping I get out. At the same time, switching offenses after 1 year is never good.
Willis has no leverage. He’s on the titans until they let him go. He might get cut like Mond did after 1 season with Minny.

He struggled picking up the Titans and would have to learn a new one with another team.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Willis has no leverage. He’s on the titans until they let him go. He might get cut like Mond did after 1 season with Minny.

He struggled picking up the Titans and would have to learn a new one with another team.
I think he gets cut, but he’s going to go to camp and get no shot, with no one believing in him. His career shouldn’t get killed just because of leverage.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think he gets cut, but he’s going to go to camp and get no shot, with no one believing in him. His career shouldn’t get killed just because of leverage.
All you can do is perform when your name is called. Titans won’t keep him if they don’t think he’s good enough to be on their 53 man roster. I think it’s up to the player to decide if he wants to be on their PS.

Mond spent 2021 on the Vikings main squad since he was a third round pick. Despite what happened with SF I doubt teams are going to use up one of their 53 man spots on QB3 unless it’s a young guy they feel can develop.

If Willis doesn’t show well in camp he will get cut imo. No patience on QBs that don’t show they are progressing and picking up the offence.

That’s why I am against kids coming out early with just 1 year of starting under their belt who have eligibility left like Richardson. He should return to school.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
All you can do is perform when your name is called. Titans won’t keep him if they don’t think he’s good enough to be on their 53 man roster. I think it’s up to the player to decide if he wants to be on their PS.

Mond spent 2021 on the Vikings main squad since he was a third round pick. Despite what happened with SF I doubt teams are going to use up one of their 53 man spots on QB3 unless it’s a young guy they feel can develop.

If Willis doesn’t show well in camp he will get cut imo. No patience on QBs that don’t show they are progressing and picking up the offence.

That’s why I am against kids coming out early with just 1 year of starting under their belt who have eligibility left like Richardson. He should return to school.
He’s exactly the kind of guy who should be playing in a spring league.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He’s exactly the kind of guy who should be playing in a spring league.
I would agree. Too bad there’s no such agreement to loan players like Willis and the PS guys to the spring league teams. 32 teams with 16 players each is like 512 players. For 8 teams that’s 64 players.

But it’s another playbook to memorize and eats into otas and mini camps.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Like 4-6 spots on the practice squad these days are vested veterans. So you'd be loaning just guys like Willis and Mond and not the Xavier Rhodes' of the world.
True but does the season for these spring leagues overlap with off season programs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad