NFL/NCAA Coaching Carousel - 2022-23 Edition

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Let's begin our annual countdown/celebration of incompetent leaders that are/should be on the hotseat & or deserve to walk the unemployment line.

For the NFL, we have to start with Dallas boss Mike McCarthy, as Jerruh Jones has made it clear it's a deep playoff run or bust for Mikey!

For the NCAA, the obvious one is Nebraska's Scott Frost, who is 15-30 , suffered an embarrassing loss to Northwestern in Week 0, and is struggling with the powerhouse that is North Dakota in week 1.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think hell get fired (unless things go really bad) but you have to think Carroll is pretty much done after this year.
I don't think he will go out like this. Hawks management are all on board with a "tank" this season. If Pete didn't want to go through a rebuild he probably would have stepped down in the summer.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I don't think he will go out like this. Hawks management are all on board with a "tank" this season. If Pete didn't want to go through a rebuild he probably would have stepped down in the summer.

Yeah. If anything he'll just fire himself upstairs while Desai steps in.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Matt Rhule has been coaching like he wants his huge buyout for awhile now. Will cheap douchebag Tepper acquiesce? Probably not.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Matt Rhule has been coaching like he wants his huge buyout for awhile now. Will cheap douchebag Tepper acquiesce? Probably not.

I’m surprised he even got an NFL job, he wasn’t even a good college coach. He isn’t Pete Carroll.
Speaking of Pete Carroll, I don’t think Seattle management will fire him he will probably just retire after the year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Carolina expected him to turn around Darnold. But he was likely too broken to fix. And teddy B is a below average nfl QB. Now he has Baker. Not exactly set up for success. Carolina unlike the Rams didn’t have superior weapons around the QB to scheme up the QB.

They don’t have the talent to get past Minny, SF, AZ to get into the WC spot imo.

And they also won’t get a look at Corral due to his injury.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’m surprised he even got an NFL job, he wasn’t even a good college coach. He isn’t Pete Carroll.
Speaking of Pete Carroll, I don’t think Seattle management will fire him he will probably just retire after the year.
That isn’t true, he was definitely a good college coach. He brought Temple out of the wilderness, and then quickly rebuilt Baylor after they were ridden with scandal. If he didn’t go to the NFL, he was in line for a top college job. Would’ve been the perfect guy to follow Lincoln Riley.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That isn’t true, he was definitely a good college coach. He brought Temple out of the wilderness, and then quickly rebuilt Baylor after they were ridden with scandal. If he didn’t go to the NFL, he was in line for a top college job. Would’ve been the perfect guy to follow Lincoln Riley.
If Baylor continued to rise in the big12, one of the top 6-10 schools (after the OSU ,Bama, Georgia,Clemson, etc,) would have come calling and given him a big cont.

Reactions: Voight

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
A few names that could be considered;

McCarthy: 3 seasons as Cowboys head coach with basically nothing to show for it outside of winning a garbage can division. Constant questions of if team is ready/prepared enough to play with the big boys. Anything outside of a playoff win probably means he's done.

Kingsbury: 4th season as Cardinals head coach with a strange pattern of his teams coming out white hot (Zona looking like a legitimate contender in this first 9 weeks) and inexplicably falling to shit. Have to imagine if the Cards regress in any way like people are expecting, he's gone. For Kliff's sake, the only thing he can hope for is the new Call Of Duty to get delayed so Kyler will pretend to give more of a shit past November 10th.

Rhule: third season as coach where he was brought in to establish a new culture for a rebuilder. Current estimates put his new program/culture somewhere between "ass" and "trash" with the Panthers showing zero results. Could see him being shitcanned midseason given Tepper was bitching and moaning about how things aren't good enough. Only thing that saves his ass is a playoff birth which seems unlikely even with the NFC's soft underbelly

Rivera: I wouldn't fire him. Dan Snyder might think otherwise.

Reich: The Colts have been a piece or two away from being a legitimate contender for the past couple seasons and it was thought Wentz (aka; the guy Reich allegedly pushed hard to bring in) would be that guy. He wasn't, and you can only go "well my QB sucks!" so many times before your ass is grass. Don't think he gets fired since i think the AFC South is basically a free ticket to the playoffs, but still possible.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You can’t change the QB every single year and then expect to be a contender though.

Reactions: Voight

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Carolina expected him to turn around Darnold. But he was likely too broken to fix. And teddy B is a below average nfl QB. Now he has Baker. Not exactly set up for success. Carolina unlike the Rams didn’t have superior weapons around the QB to scheme up the QB.

They don’t have the talent to get past Minny, SF, AZ to get into the WC spot imo.

And they also won’t get a look at Corral due to his injury.
Rhule had lots of input when bringing in both Darnold and Bridgewater. He had lots of input on other roster decisions as well. It's not like these terrible/mediocre players were just foisted upon him.

He's just not a NFL coach.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
A few names that could be considered;

McCarthy: 3 seasons as Cowboys head coach with basically nothing to show for it outside of winning a garbage can division. Constant questions of if team is ready/prepared enough to play with the big boys. Anything outside of a playoff win probably means he's done.

Kingsbury: 4th season as Cardinals head coach with a strange pattern of his teams coming out white hot (Zona looking like a legitimate contender in this first 9 weeks) and inexplicably falling to shit. Have to imagine if the Cards regress in any way like people are expecting, he's gone. For Kliff's sake, the only thing he can hope for is the new Call Of Duty to get delayed so Kyler will pretend to give more of a shit past November 10th.

Rhule: third season as coach where he was brought in to establish a new culture for a rebuilder. Current estimates put his new program/culture somewhere between "ass" and "trash" with the Panthers showing zero results. Could see him being shitcanned midseason given Tepper was bitching and moaning about how things aren't good enough. Only thing that saves his ass is a playoff birth which seems unlikely even with the NFC's soft underbelly

Rivera: I wouldn't fire him. Dan Snyder might think otherwise.

Reich: The Colts have been a piece or two away from being a legitimate contender for the past couple seasons and it was thought Wentz (aka; the guy Reich allegedly pushed hard to bring in) would be that guy. He wasn't, and you can only go "well my QB sucks!" so many times before your ass is grass. Don't think he gets fired since i think the AFC South is basically a free ticket to the playoffs, but still possible.

Reich got a lot of hype due to Nick Foles playing like peak Joe Montana for 6 weeks

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011

I think OU tried seeing if he had interest this past offseason could be wrong but remember reading it

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Reich got a lot of hype due to Nick Foles playing like peak Joe Montana for 6 weeks
He also had Carson Wentz on the way to being MVP.

Reich has been great for the Colts. He’s gotten tremendous mileage out of never being able to commit to a quarterback.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
cowboys-mike-mccarthy.gif

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
He also had Carson Wentz on the way to being MVP.

Reich has been great for the Colts. He’s gotten tremendous mileage out of never being able to commit to a quarterback.

Reich is a very good head coach, the QB position he inherited has been unstable but the Colts have been battling week in, week out.

I’m curious to see how Matt Ryan does in Indy.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Have to think Frank Reich's seat is on fire
This is year 4 for Reich. Past 2 he’s had a veteran QB in Rivers and Wentz. Will cut him slack for the year with Brisset. This is a big year for him. Has to make the PO as a minimum.

Colts are not that dynamic in the vertical pass game. But Ryan should run the offence well.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
This is year 4 for Reich. Past 2 he’s had a veteran QB in Rivers and Wentz. Will cut him slack for the year with Brisset. This is a big year for him. Has to make the PO as a minimum.

Colts are not that dynamic in the vertical pass game. But Ryan should run the offence well.

The Colts should battle the Titans for the division, I feel like Matt Ryan can give them steady QB play. They have a very good offensive line and the run game is good.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Rhule will definitely be on tons of P5 CFB short lists this coming holiday season if he's available.

A scenario I'd love to see (not likely obviously) would be Kelly getting canned by LSU because of a total disaster of a 1st season and them hiring Rhule as replacement.

The reason I mention this super long shot even is that (1) LSU probably isn't good this year (I think Steele has them last in the SEC West) (2) LSU people don't handle being bad even for a transitional season very well so you and I may think them going 6-6 is fine, but they probably don't (3) Everyone knows Kelly is a very awkward culture fit at LSU and those tend to have much short leashes than others. And this is a program that had no problem turning on their local favorite son and NC-winning coach Ed O in an instant when they didn't like what they saw.

Sep 19, 2008
Have to think Frank Reich's seat is on fire
it's not even if they don't make the playoffs this year

Rhule will definitely be on tons of P5 CFB short lists this coming holiday season if he's available.

A scenario I'd love to see (not likely obviously) would be Kelly getting canned by LSU because of a total disaster of a 1st season and them hiring Rhule as replacement.

The reason I mention this super long shot even is that (1) LSU probably isn't good this year (I think Steele has them last in the SEC West) (2) LSU people don't handle being bad even for a transitional season very well so you and I may think them going 6-6 is fine, but they probably don't (3) Everyone knows Kelly is a very awkward culture fit at LSU and those tend to have much short leashes than others. And this is a program that had no problem turning on their local favorite son and NC-winning coach Ed O in an instant when they didn't like what they saw.
Too much money invested in Kelly to can him after a year. Kelly is a jerk but they're not canning him after a year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kelly is still going to get NFL calls as long as it doesn’t bottom out. The man is 60 and he’ll be more apt to leave now given the culture fit. He already took the big risk in leaving Notre Dame. LSU will be able to get out if that if they want to, it’s just going to cost them a year of recruiting.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00