OT: NFL Fantasy teams discussion

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
how does individual defensive players work? never done a league like that before. Im sure who ever has JJ watt is sitting there just smiling at having basically a second tight end

Watt's like a five PPG edge on any defensive end in the league lol - he scores around 11 PPG - so that is kind of significant (and the team that has him is 12-1 though I'd attribute that more to having Brady, Julio, a resurgent Gates, and getting a hot stretch from Sanu after I dropped him early).

Defensively you get points for the usual stuff, tackles/INT's/fumbles forced and recovered, even passes defensed. Good linebackers score like 7-10 points a week, safeties 6-8 points a week (though I got 15 from Reshad Johnson this week which really helped), corners 6-7 points, DE's and DT's not as much, except for Watt. We start one DT, one DE, one LB, one CB and one S, which can make bye weeks a pain in the *** but fortunately we have 20-man rosters and you can put players on the injured list if they're just out for the week so there's a little wiggle room.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Watt's like a five PPG edge on any defensive end in the league lol - he scores around 11 PPG - so that is kind of significant (and the team that has him is 12-1 though I'd attribute that more to having Brady, Julio, a resurgent Gates, and getting a hot stretch from Sanu after I dropped him early).

Defensively you get points for the usual stuff, tackles/INT's/fumbles forced and recovered, even passes defensed. Good linebackers score like 7-10 points a week, safeties 6-8 points a week (though I got 15 from Reshad Johnson this week which really helped), corners 6-7 points, DE's and DT's not as much, except for Watt. We start one DT, one DE, one LB, one CB and one S, which can make bye weeks a pain in the *** but fortunately we have 20-man rosters and you can put players on the injured list if they're just out for the week so there's a little wiggle room.

Definitely a different way of doing fantasy. Sounds interesting tho

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Season officially over. Sturgis gave me a good effort but to far behind.

Manning let me down and if I played rudolf over Witten and stills over smith I win easily this week.

Just...****

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I managed to go three for three making the playoffs:

League 1 (12-team) - 12-1, top seed with a bye this week
League 2 (16-team PPR) - 7-6, #6 seed in a six-team playoff after rallying from a 3-6 start to run the table the last month
League 3 (20-team) - 8-5, #8 seed in an eight-team playoff despite being second highest scorer overall

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I managed to go three for three making the playoffs:

League 1 (12-team) - 12-1, top seed with a bye this week
League 2 (16-team PPR) - 7-6, #6 seed in a six-team playoff after rallying from a 3-6 start to run the table the last month
League 3 (20-team) - 8-5, #8 seed in an eight-team playoff despite being second highest scorer overall

for the last 3 years including this year I usually have 3 teams a year. Only one team has missed the playoffs and that was last year in a 10 team league in which I had Ray rice and Trent Richardson as my backs . Idk if im lucky or decent at fantasy :laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Three's really too many for me though, I just got in the third as a bit of a lark (and to help prep for my 16-team draft which unbeknownst to me I had to miss and wound up autodrafting anyway). As it turned out I did pretty good in the 20-team draft though if I had it to do over again I would have just taken Rodgers in the first round, I figured I'd get a second tier guy later but they were all scooped up by the end of round 2, I had to pick between Cutler, Romo and Russel Wilson and I picked Wilson.

Even two leagues can be problematic in the wrong circumstance. If I didn't have a bye in league #1 I'd be in a situation where I'm starting Luck and DeMarco Murray in that playoff and going against them in the league #2 playoff. But now with the bye I can just root against them this week :P

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Three's really too many for me though, I just got in the third as a bit of a lark (and to help prep for my 16-team draft which unbeknownst to me I had to miss and wound up autodrafting anyway). As it turned out I did pretty good in the 20-team draft though if I had it to do over again I would have just taken Rodgers in the first round, I figured I'd get a second tier guy later but they were all scooped up by the end of round 2, I had to pick between Cutler, Romo and Russel Wilson and I picked Wilson.

Even two leagues can be problematic in the wrong circumstance. If I didn't have a bye in league #1 I'd be in a situation where I'm starting Luck and DeMarco Murray in that playoff and going against them in the league #2 playoff. But now with the bye I can just root against them this week :P

Three is a pain sometimes cause Im often playing players that I have on my team in the other leagues. I manage somehow tho. Things get hectic when hockey starts. I have 3 fantasy football teams and 3 fantasy hockey teams. Gets hard to keep track and set lineups.

Whats your drafting strategy like? Me personally I load up on running backs and wide recievers and try and get a qb in like round 6. In my one league this year I lucked out *Pun intended* and drafted luck in round 5. Im old school mentality when it comes to drafting I usually like having 2 solid running backs to work with and go from there

aero8279

Aug 31, 2008
So I need a win to make the playoffs. Stupid 14 week league. Need some help. Ppr league. Thanks.

Ryan vs Packers or Flacco vs Miami
Gore vs Oakland or Jeremy Hill vs Pitt

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Three is a pain sometimes cause Im often playing players that I have on my team in the other leagues. I manage somehow tho. Things get hectic when hockey starts. I have 3 fantasy football teams and 3 fantasy hockey teams. Gets hard to keep track and set lineups.

Whats your drafting strategy like? Me personally I load up on running backs and wide recievers and try and get a qb in like round 6. In my one league this year I lucked out *Pun intended* and drafted luck in round 5. Im old school mentality when it comes to drafting I usually like having 2 solid running backs to work with and go from there

For the moment I'm the same way. I don't entirely buy the whole 'WR is the new RB' mentality most people have, if anything with the RB crop so thin it just amps up needing a top guy even more. Plus I never do well when I pick WR's in the first five rounds anyway, my best picks tend to be middle-round guys (like last year with DeSean Jackson, or this year with Jeremy Maclin). It's also easy to find guys on the wire in-season, last year I picked up Keenan Allen who wound up starting, this year OBJ.

Thing is the crop of solid RB's are getting thinner and thinner every year and you can't even trust the top guys anymore for the most part. I was lucky in my 12-team league where I got Murray in the first round and Foster in the mid-second (he was still having his preseason hammy issues at that point). Things could have worked out very differently though, the only other guy in my league who went RB-RB in the first two rounds picked Zac Stacy and Gio Bernard. Two players even went WR-WR in the first two rounds.

Next year it might swing back the other way again with so many quality WR's, the number just keeps growing every year which makes the top QB's, RB's and TE's more valuable IMO. Especially in my leagues which tend to be six points per passing TD. Someone in my league went nuts and with Peyton as his keeper traded up for Rodgers to hoard QB value for a later trade (and then drafted Stafford on top of it). It took him two months to find a trade and it wasn't even that great since he wound up trading Rodgers, Ingram and Tate for Demariyus, Ryan Mathews and Andre Johnson. Of course he still made the playoffs and probably will troll us to win the league.

In the past I've been a 'draft a QB later' guy but the last couple years I've gone more to the school of there are only a few true difference-makers and getting one of them gives you a pretty good chance to make the playoffs. Last year I drafted Rodgers, which could have hurt come playoff time but I wound up getting some big stretch performances from Ben and McCown in the playoffs. This year I traded up for Luck in the fourth round.

So I need a win to make the playoffs. Stupid 14 week league. Need some help. Ppr league. Thanks.

Ryan vs Packers or Flacco vs Miami
Gore vs Oakland or Jeremy Hill vs Pitt

Ryan and Gore I guess, but I'm not particularly confident in either. More confident in Ryan over Flacco than the other one.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol of course Murray's destroying me this week in my one PPR playoff, the one week my other team with him has a bye. And my opponent still has Luck in the other pocket, oh joy.

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
lol of course Murray's destroying me this week in my one PPR playoff, the one week my other team with him has a bye. And my opponent still has Luck in the other pocket, oh joy.

murray put up 37 against me in ppr. I had Bennett who at least made it respectable he had 27. Not to far off. Nothing worse than seeing 30 from romo and 30 from murray in my other league but it counts for nothing because I have a bye

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's worse for me cause I have Murray and Luck on a bye team in one league and am playing them in this one. Still if Luck doesn't destroy me I have a shot cause the rest of my team's better than his...but that's a pretty big if.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Ellington and Jennings looking doubtful for this Sunday really screws my RB2 spot. Guess I'll have to put Jeremy Hill and hope for the best.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
My main dilemma this week in my PPR league is whether I should wait it out for Roddy White or just Flex Gio Bernard (he's got a Sunday 1 PM game, Roddy plays Monday night - there's literally nothing available on the wire to replace him at Flex if he misses again)?

I've got Peyton at QB, CJ Anderson at RB, Benjamin and Jarvis Landry at WR and Jordan Reed at TE. My other bench players are Garcon and Stedman Bailey (WR) along with Denard Robinson and Johnathan Stewart (RB) as well as Heath Miller (TE). All of them have 1 PM Sunday games so I pretty much have to decide the whole lineup by then. I could bother to drop someone and pick up Andre Williams or Nate Washington, that's about the best that's on the wire in a 16-team league.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Welp, got destroyed in my two playoff games this week. Hopefully my 12-1 team doesn't let me down next week. Julius Thomas better get his fanny back in the lineup though lol. I picked up Dwayne Allen just in case but he wasn't too great today either.

My only other lineup decision there is probably sticking with the Bills defense or dropping my backup QB (Sanchez) and picking up (bleh) Tennessee against the Jets or Carolina home against Tampa. The Bills have been too good to me to sit/cut though, even against the Packers.

Last edited:

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Welp, got destroyed in my two playoff games this week. Hopefully my 12-1 team doesn't let me down next week. Julius Thomas better get his fanny back in the lineup though lol. I picked up Dwayne Allen just in case but he wasn't too great today either.

My only other lineup decision there is probably sticking with the Bills defense or dropping my backup QB (Sanchez) and picking up (bleh) Tennessee against the Jets or Carolina home against Tampa. The Bills have been too good to me to sit/cut though, even against the Packers.

scored 167 points you would have thought I would have won. other guy has 212 and still has Julio playing tomorrow....so unlucky in the league

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

I'm in the same boat. My 11-2 team which scored 169 points last week in a very standard scoring league with no "bonus" points has 47 points or so this week with Julio Jones left to play. Luckily my opponent had a terrible week too at 68 points but this is a terrible start for a team that has I believe 7 or 8 guys that are top 8 in their positions.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm 12-1 going up against the one team that beat me (he was 7-6 but has a better team than that), I swear if I lose to this guy again :laugh:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Well thank you Julio Jones and your 31 points. Somehow I'm in the lead after week 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad