NFL: Chargers to London??

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
As a Los Angelino, let me break this down from a local perspective

Very untrue. But for more reasons than whwhat NFShogun posted

Spanos had been claiming the LA market as his territory for years. Depending on who you believe, he proactively would block teams from moving here and the word is fought hard to keep the Rams from coming back but Jerry Jones pushed harder for them to return.
Spanos also constantly broke LA's heart threatening to move to LA and constantly having moving talks with people who building the stadiums. I am not talking initial talks, word is everytime they were about to sign something, Spanos would backtrack.
I know this is the case for sure with the Industry site. Word is he was ready to move in the proposed downtown stadium (which would have been where the LA Convention center is. There are two stories there one being that he pulled his usual game the other being that AEG wanted a stake the Chargers wouldn't sell them any of the team.
The Raiders are still beloved here and were seen as LA's team by many, much more than the Rams.
Raiders games were shown on local TV here for years. Not the case for the Rams

I can tell you as long time Los Angelino, that many turned their back on the Rams when they moved to Orange County and also turned their back because of how crazy Georgia F (she will be referred to as "The Devil" going forward). Even though Al was seen as crazy, the devil was the greater of the two evils. Raiders games were shown on the local independent stations and the Radiers still had stores in LA selling their gear

Once the devil died many here really warmed back up the Rams returning and once Big Stan bought Hollywood Park and talked about building a stadium there everyone got excited, this looked like we were finally going to get a team back.
Once is was announced that the either the Chargers or the Raiders were going to be the other tenants. People overwhelmingly wanted that team to be the Raiders.
Most here think the Chargers moving here was as a much of an FU to the Raiders as it was to San Diego. Most also believe that the Chargers aren't playing in the Collesium because it was where the Raiders played and is still seen as the Raiders old stadium

I thought that was because USC told the league there was no way it could support having all 3 teams in there.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Thanks.

And I like to think of Winnipeg as the analog of #1, too. Back when it was a Yotes or Thrashers conversation over who would relocate, most Winnipeggers were hoping for the Yotes to move back for the franchise continuity. But when that didn't happen, they had zero issues adopting the Thrashers as the new Jets. Same for Baltimore being more than happy with the Ravens while obviously having a pining for the Colts originally.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The second group is smaller but much more vocal. There are countless Los Angelenos that wanted the Raiders back at all costs and were actively clamoring for it for years. To them, the Chargers are the sole reason that their team didn't come back, and there will be a hatred there for eternity directed at Spanos and the team.
This is also very true.. and with the bolded part. The any NFL team crowd also saw the Spanos' as blocking ANY team from coming here.
The Spanos' aren't nearly as hated here as they are in SD, but they don't have many fans

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad