NFL: Chargers to London??

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
From the Athletic (subscription):
With London ready for an NFL team, the Chargers have been...

The Athletic has learned through NFL sources that the possibility of the Chargers moving to London has been broached among league personnel. The Athletic also has learned that, while the team is fully committed to Los Angeles where it will move into the new $4.5 billion stadium with the Rams next year, the Chargers would at least listen if the NFL approached them about about London as a possible option.

Finally, The Athletic has learned that NFL owners are concerned enough about the Chargers’ situation in L.A., where a crowded sports market and the presence of the more established Rams has resulted in a tepid embracement of the Chargers, that they would provide the necessary support for a relocation to London if the Chargers pursue it.

In other words, London offers the Chargers and the NFL an immediate and rare opportunity to fix a glaring problem in a way that checks off multiple boxes, both for the franchise and the league.
The Chargers would move into a viable venue — likely the NFL-ready Tottenham Hotspur Stadium — that would offer all the perks and monetary benefits necessary to remain financially competitive with the other 31 NFL teams. And they would have the region and market all to themselves to cultivate a fanbase.
The NFL seems to be taking note. And the necessary support for a Chargers move there could be available among fellow owners.

“Some would be happy …” a high-ranking NFL official told The Athletic. “But all of them (are concerned) about them in L.A. So I think they would get (support).”

“We are fully committed and focused on Los Angeles and look forward to continuing to build our fanbase as we transition to our new stadium,” Chargers owner Dean Spanos told The Athletic this week. “We’re seeing progress every day, and we look forward to building on that.”

Should the Chargers pursue the move, the NFL could help build the team’s bridge to London by transferring the $650 million relocation fee it still must pay for the L.A. move to a London relocation. The Chargers also could switch divisions with the Houston Texans — the Chargers to the AFC South and the Texans to the AFC West — or perhaps the league could move the Chargers to the AFC East, Miami Dolphins to the AFC South and Texans to the AFC West.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
This must be the worst relocation move in history. When this happened, I've never seen such anger from the receiving market.

As long as Spanos owns the team, going back to San Diego will never be an option plus the league wouldn't want to lose leverage in stadium issues in the future which is what this move was about.

If this happens a major realignment would be needed. Outside of that, I think London can work.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Even if Spanos is out of the picture San Diego won't be taking them back.

The city is selling the old stadium and surrounding land in Mission Valley to San Diego State, who will tear down and build a smaller facility in the 35,000 capacity range. Plus developing condos and other properties within the site. It's perfect for the university since the SD Trolley has a line that runs directly between the campus and the stadium site, and it reaches into all other parts of the city/county.

They're done with the NFL.

Reactions: DaveG and DoyleG

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It will never happen.

NFLPA will not allow it. Guys do not want to move there after spending their entire life in NA..... the only similarities between say Atlanta and London is the language. It would be a massive culture shock. Then you have issues like currency, yea they will get paid in USD but to buy stuff there they will need pounds.... if they wanna drive there obviously they sit on the other side of the car and their roads are very different.... unlikely a player will want to move his family across the pond.

Never mind that a visiting team would be at a disadvantage, fly in Friday, play Sunday and then back on the plane Sunday night or Monday morning. & trying to say "oh well, maybe they will travel earlier and leave later / give them another day or two" won't work because guys would rather be back home.

As other users have said, its just going to be used as a leverage tool now that LA has two teams.

This must be the worst relocation move in history. When this happened, I've never seen such anger from the receiving market.

As long as Spanos owns the team, going back to San Diego will never be an option plus the league wouldn't want to lose leverage in stadium issues in the future which is what this move was about.

If this happens a major realignment would be needed. Outside of that, I think London can work.

The league screwed over Oakland and now they are paying for it. Should have declined the Chargers/Raiders proposal (as they actually did) and told the Raiders to move in with the Rams & for Spanos to stay in SD. Instead the Raiders are going to go make a stupid amount of money in Vegas while the Chargers have attendance issues.

Reactions: DaveG

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
No doubt that attracting and retaining FAs will be a challenge. I don't see it being much different than getting top NBA players to come/stay in Canada, however the Raptors won a championship.

The NFLPA are the weakest union in Sports, won't be an issue and neither should scheduling shouldn't be a big issue. The Toronto Wolfpack of the English Rugby league managed to pull it off and is now being promoted to the Super League. If that sport in the lower divisions can pull it off, so can the NFL.

2 different currencies won't be an issue either. Other leagues in North America manage it, the NFL can too.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Que to the Chargers to Toronto rumours.

But I think OKC is a better more reliable option for the club. The thing I dislike about London is the time change and distance. What division would they be in anyway? If I had to guess AFC East, they move Miami to AFC South and the Texans to AFC West.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

The city is selling the old stadium and surrounding land in Mission Valley to San Diego State, who will tear down and build a smaller facility in the 35,000 capacity range. Plus developing condos and other properties within the site. It's perfect for the university since the SD Trolley has a line that runs directly between the campus and the stadium site, and it reaches into all other parts of the city/county.

Spanos wanted to be downtown anyway, so don't close that door yet...

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
It will never happen.

NFLPA will not allow it. Guys do not want to move there after spending their entire life in NA..... the only similarities between say Atlanta and London is the language. It would be a massive culture shock. Then you have issues like currency, yea they will get paid in USD but to buy stuff there they will need pounds.... if they wanna drive there obviously they sit on the other side of the car and their roads are very different.... unlikely a player will want to move his family across the pond.

Never mind that a visiting team would be at a disadvantage, fly in Friday, play Sunday and then back on the plane Sunday night or Monday morning. & trying to say "oh well, maybe they will travel earlier and leave later / give them another day or two" won't work because guys would rather be back home.

As other users have said, its just going to be used as a leverage tool now that LA has two teams.

The league screwed over Oakland and now they are paying for it. Should have declined the Chargers/Raiders proposal (as they actually did) and told the Raiders to move in with the Rams & for Spanos to stay in SD. Instead the Raiders are going to go make a stupid amount of money in Vegas while the Chargers have attendance issues.

I don't think culture shock is a big deal at all. It's all the logistical issues that are the problem.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Spanos wanted to be downtown anyway, so don't close that door yet...

Unless he's ready to pay for the stadium himself (and he doesn't have the ability) it isn't happening. San Diego got hosed for decades by the Spanos from propping up the franchise. Dean is a pariah to fans there. They want nothing to do with him.

Reactions: DaveG

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm finding myself more and more disenfranchised with the NFL by the day. I'm at the point where the product go screw off. I would be the least surprised person in human existence if sooner or later the Glazer family just started waving the London bullshit at Tampa for new stadium leverage. What Spanos and the NFL did to San Diego is inexcusable and the fact they give more of a crap about exploring the idea to get a team in London as opposed to making things work in San Diego shows just how back asswards their priorities are.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't think culture shock is a big deal at all. It's all the logistical issues that are the problem.

Logistical issues are massive but culture shock is apart of it. Especially since players would be living there for 4-6 months of the year as opposed to being there permanently.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Logistical issues are massive but culture shock is apart of it. Especially since players would be living there for 4-6 months of the year as opposed to being there permanently.
Eh, while I am sure some players would not want to play there, I bet a lot would jump at the unique opportunity, especially in an international city like London.

Not unlike Vegas and the NHL, I bet a lot of players with family and kids wouldn't sign there, but I am sure a lot of players are having the time of their life living there.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Eh, while I am sure some players would not want to play there, I bet a lot would jump at the unique opportunity, especially in an international city like London.

Not unlike Vegas and the NHL, I bet a lot of players with family and kids wouldn't sign there, but I am sure a lot of players are having the time of their life living there.

Why tho? Don't get me wrong, London is a great city and a world city but they could easily have the time of their life in NY, LA, Miami etc.

It would be a cool experience but I can see the majority of players get tired of it after a couple months.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
It will never happen.

Would the players even get a say? Lets say SD moved to... Montana. The players under contract now play for Montana, right? So just have to move along. So SD becomes London, don't they just become London players? What rights would they have?

Also I don't think culture shock is relevant. London/NY/Toronto - other than the side of the road you drive, accent you speak with and gun laws what's so different these days? Plus they'll be at work for the majority of their season time, it'd basically be a paid holiday for them wouldn't it?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Some of the past proposals I've seen don't call for the players to spend all that time living in England. There were proposals for the primary training facilities to be located on the east coast. The games in London would be batched up so the team could do them in 3-5 "road" trips.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That franchise won't get fans until they're owned by someone whose last name isn't Spanos. San Diego won't welcome him back and LA doesn't want him.

I maintain that the Chargers are the 5th or 6th most popular NFL team in LA. 7th or 8th if you figure in college football.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Unless he's ready to pay for the stadium himself (and he doesn't have the ability) it isn't happening. San Diego got hosed for decades by the Spanos from propping up the franchise. Dean is a pariah to fans there. They want nothing to do with him.
There are also rumblings that he isn't living up to his end of the bargain already with the new stadium
Spanos is a piece of work

Rams, Chargers Reportedly Feuding Over New Stadium

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
That franchise won't get fans until they're owned by someone whose last name isn't Spanos. San Diego won't welcome him back and LA doesn't want him.
Agreed

I think the only way the Chargers could ever save face and return to San Diego would be a charismatic non Spanos owner, like Ballmer with the Clippers

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018

That 35,000 seat stadium they are building is expandable to 55,000 for an NFL return.

SDSU Releases Football Stadium Renderings

output_MV_Stadium.gif

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
If memory serves, the NFL mandates 60,000 as the minimum capacity for a permanent stadium, so they'd have to either further expand it or have it be temporary until a new stadium is built.

That all being said, it'd be moot point if Spanos is the owner. He's persona non grata for very good reason in San Diego.

And realistically, Spanos screwed over not one, not two, but three markets with his vainglory. San Diego, for obvious reasons. LA, for preventing them from getting the team that the market really wanted, the Raiders. And Las Vegas, as I can't help but think that the Raiders would be looking longterm at a move whenever their lease expires back to their preferred destination if LA reverts back to a one-team market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad