Post-Game Talk: Next year, let's decline the California trip, Habs lose 6-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaFloater

Jan 23, 2014
Burlington
This team and its abysmal performance is just the culmination of Bergevin's idiot reign. Trade away a great player, leader and soul of the team then shockingly your team cannot score on D, has no leader and spirit. You bring back Radulov from the KHL , he has a great season then he walks to another team because you didn't reward him. Even his hiring of Julien, just smacked of desperation. Sure he won a cup, but with a much better GM who assembled a team of skillfull thugs who cheated on every shift. With this current group of plugs, Julien has been exposed as the mediocre coach he always was. Meanwhile Molson sits back seemingly uncaring about the joke the franchise has become. No cups for 24 years and none within site. Molson should fire both of these clowns. He should have fired MB and MT in 2015 after the TB exit and hired Babcock, oh but malheureusement his French wasn't up to snuff.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I like this Laval team. I may buy the season pass. I have watched 3 games so far. Been worth the price.
Watching Scherbak’s elite skills is worth it. I hope he can someday soon take this to the next level.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
So you want Weber to back in time 5 years, and see if he can replicate Subban's numbers? This is a great solution.

For sure, who knows how PK will be performing if he were with us now. We can be sitting in last place, or we can be 1st in the division. We have to keep in mind the team makeup would likely be different as well if he were here given what he brings to the table. At the same time, Weber may had brought Nashville a cup last year, or rocking the Preds PP this season. Or, he’d be stuck with a couple goals and sitting at -5.

So sure, we can guess what they’d both be doing on their own teams, slamming both during the process. However, facts are facts. PK plays for the Preds and while I would like to see him do well, I don’t really care if the Preds are awesome or not. I care about the Habs and currently we are in frikken last place and Weber hasn’t been a factor at all. I don’t think he is hurting us, but he sure isn’t helping, be it statistically or with his presence it seems.

Just to add, Price isn’t performing, Galchenyuk isn’t performing and Patches is being Patches when times are tough. We can nitpick every player but guess what? MB put this team together. These are his acquisitions and trades. All his inherited core he kept, he re-signed. This is all on him.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Yes, it is much more rational to pretend Subban may produce 'x' amount of points, if he was somehow transported here in a magical scenario. I'm playing stupid? lol. Come back at may when you want to discuss reality.

PK has 1 goal this year. 1. 4 of his pts are on the PP, he's -4 in his last 2 games... if Montreal has an ounce of creativity on the PP, the stats look completely different for Weber. Am I saying it was a good trade? No. But it is what it is, get over the trade.
There is no magical transport here. Everything is based off of previous evidence, some statistical, some "eye test". Based on said evidence, Subban has proven more resilient and productive when the talent is lacking on the team. So far, Weber is inconclusive because he has been the beneficiary of ELITE producers like Roman Josi, Alexander Radulov(17 of his points involved Radulov), and Ryan Suter for his entire career. Now, we get to see Weber in action without such an established and consistent elite producer in the shadows propping up his stats.

The ability to create goals for others is more important for a defenseman because a 50 assist defenseman has created about 15-20 goals for his team compared to a 30 assist defenseman. Sure, Weber might score 5-7 more goals than Subban, but his superior goal scoring boost to the offense is outweighed by his utter ineptitude at producing offense for others.

Weber is part of the problem. He can only gun things on the PP, but that lack of playmaking ability means less opportunities, especially for the less talented players on the team. Subban is better playmaker, even though he is somewhat flawed in that regard.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There is no magical transport here. Everything is based off of previous evidence, some statistical, some "eye test". Based on said evidence, Subban has proven more resilient and productive when the talent is lacking on the team. So far, Weber is inconclusive because he has been the beneficiary of ELITE producers like Roman Josi, Alexander Radulov(17 of his points involved Radulov), and Ryan Suter for his entire career. Now, we get to see Weber in action without such an established and consistent elite producer in the shadows propping up his stats.

The ability to create goals for others is more important for a defenseman because a 50 assist defenseman has created about 15-20 goals for his team compared to a 30 assist defenseman. Sure, Weber might score 5-7 more goals than Subban, but his superior goal scoring boost to the offense is outweighed by his utter ineptitude at producing offense for others.

Weber is part of the problem. He can only gun things on the PP, but that lack of playmaking ability means less opportunities, especially for the less talented players on the team. Subban is better playmaker, even though he is somewhat flawed in that regard.

Habs are missing the quick transition players like Subban brought.

Has anyone else noticed how friggin bad Petry has been? I still say he was and is not any better than Beaulieu.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
There's no logic in what you're trying to push here Kriss.

They performed last year... What the heck happened?

Well Billy, like I and many others have said, many many times, MANY times, Markov was the most important dman on this team. More than Weber. More than Subban. He was THE guy who drove transition and controlled the play. He was always there to bail out his partner when trying to move the puck up the play.

I tried to warn you, Billy. I said it so many times, you can go back and look at my posts. We have had this conversation before. You refused to listen. You told me Sergachev would replace Markov in 1-2 years. Before that, people told me Beaulieu would get ~50 points playing with Weber and would replace Markov eventually.

I told you this team was not prepared to lose Markov. And now you are seeing the truth.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Habs are missing the quick transition players like Subban brought.

Has anyone else noticed how friggin bad Petry has been? I still say he was and is not any better than Beaulieu.
Well, his partner used to be semi-decent. Now it's a revolving door of bad, and it's usually Alzner. Of course, since he's not a uber Dman like a Karlsson, he can't elevate that level of defenseman.

beh3moth

May 27, 2010
Price's rebound control was pathetic and his head was not in the game. I'm sick and tired of the excuses made for Price when he doesn't show up for games. It doesn' happen a lot but it does happen and this year so far it has happened in every game except for the first. You want to see an ECHL defense look at the Ducks yet their goalie kept them in the game in the 2nd period. Price took us out of the game in the 1st. So far this year Price has been outplayed by every effing goalie he faced and it had nothing to do with the defence.

I'm not placing the whole blame on him for this terrible start but he deserves as much if not more than Patches. And I'm a fan who dislikes Patches with a passion and I like Price. But I'm not blind to when Price craps the bed.

Price seems like he cares. When he's playing bad, as a fan, I know he knows that he's playing poorly. He cares. He wants to play better. Pacioretty seems apathetic and robotic on and off the ice. I trust Price to get his head in the game and hold himself accountable, I don't trust Pacioretty to do the same. So Price gets more leeway from most fans.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Well Billy, like I and many others have said, many many times, MANY times, Markov was the most important dman on this team. More than Weber. More than Subban. He was THE guy who drove transition and controlled the play. He was always there to bail out his partner when trying to move the puck up the play.

I tried to warn you, Billy. I said it so many times, you can go back and look at my posts. We have had this conversation before. You refused to listen. You told me Sergachev would replace Markov in 1-2 years. Before that, people told me Beaulieu would get ~50 points playing with Weber and would replace Markov eventually.

I told you this team was not prepared to lose Markov. And now you are seeing the truth.

This is the most truthful thing posted. Markov's departure was more harmful than thought, and we never got see if Schlemko could help fill any of that void. Petry has been on the decline for 2 years now, and Benn has never been more than fringe blueliner the last couple years.

This blueline that MB was so proud of, has been an epic disaster.

Reactions: Tyson

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Agree with others, Markov was the glue that held the blueline together.

Derek Grant, no goals in his first 92 NHL games. 2 goals in his 93rd.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This is the most truthful thing posted. Markov's departure was more harmful than thought, and we never got see if Schlemko could help fill any of that void. Petry has been on the decline for 2 years now, and Benn has never been more than fringe blueliner the last couple years.

This blueline that MB was so proud of, has been an epic disaster.
It reaffirms how incompetent Bergevin is...to think Streit, Morrow, Schlemko could somehow replace arguably the best Habs Dman since Chris Chelios.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
The person who didn't like Subban was Jealous Patches. And Therrien and Bergevin.

If they signed Subban long term right away, and told the little *****es to shut up or ship out regarding our best player. Everything would have been fine.

They chose Patches. What a leader.
If Price wanted Subban in Montreal Subban would still be a Montreal Canadien . If Pacioretty hated him he wasn't alone the only player that did

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Price wasn't there and I'm pretty sure that Subban was involved in Prices wedding.
Price said himself he has had a friendship with Weber years before the trade ever happened and that his friendship with Subban was mostly because they were team mates . Translation friends but not really.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The good news is that, like the maple leafs, we can eat a good portion of that deal. If we're rebuilding, we can just eat 3-4M off of his contract. Then Price becomes valuable again. Maybe?

You want to pay Price 4M per year for 10 years while he's playing for another team? That's crazy, just keep him at that point...

this team got slower in the backend (emelin, markov, beaulieu) and lost a guy (radulov) that showed up every night on the ice. They're not even close to the same team.

not even close. it's a massive downgrade. the only player doing his job out there in cap space. he's been awesome for us.

The positives are, this season is over, it's time to make a few trades and go into the draft with some picks and move forward. Hopefully in the off-season we can replace a couple of those trades with free agents.

I wonder if the oilers are desperate for a guy like weber. would love a first and a young prospect. they can still turn it around, they have talent. we don't.
Come on man! Since when are Markov and Emelin fast skaters? Beaulieu was a tire fire in his own zone...

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/gametracker/live/NHL_20171020_MON@ANA

It's not that bad. Most shots were taken between the face-off circles.

Price would've let in at least 5 and I'm not even joking.

Look man, even if you're right and Markov was so important the guy was on the ice for 20 minutes per game for god sake, he was not there for 60 minutes!

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Price seems like he cares. When he's playing bad, as a fan, I know he knows that he's playing poorly. He cares. He wants to play better. Pacioretty seems apathetic and robotic on and off the ice. I trust Price to get his head in the game and hold himself accountable, I don't trust Pacioretty to do the same. So Price gets more leeway from most fans.
I see you've been around for awhile but haven't posted much on this site so you may not know that I've had a huge dislike for Patches as a hockey player from almost the beginning of his career. I never liked him as a hockey player. I acknowledge he scores a lot of goals but I found him to score meaningless goals and to never show up when the games became important (i.e. playoffs, World Cup, Olympics). So now you know how I feel about Max.

But I would never, never, never say he doesn't care. If anything I'd say he probably feels it more than Price. Carey is more laid back. I don't see Max as apathetic. I would say he's more reserved. The advice he gave Galchenyuk to celebrate like you've scored before is an example of Patches reserve. I think Patches most serious flaw is a poor hockey IQ. He doesn't know how to adapt to different defense markings and also because of extenuating circumstances ( Chara hit, his hit on Letang) he has developed into a perimeter player who rarely engages anyone physically..

Reactions: DAChampion

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
I'd like to know the honest thoughts of the Nashville coaching staff management ownership in the finals Especially after game 3 when Subban went selfish again and made it about himself . The I wish we had Shea Weber right now thought were in all of their heads I'm willing to bet. There's no way the coaching staff and management would ever had to tell Weber to basically go sit in the corner and keep his mouth shut like they did Subban banning him from speaking to the media. Until Subban got into Crosby face saying what everyone now knows what he said at the end of game 3 Nashville was the better team the series turned in Pittsburgh favor after that . Was it because Subban lite a fire under Crosby's ass like many believe ? When Crosby can be heard calling Subban an f--- idiot n get the F out of here . Crosby wasn't just speaking for himself or his team he was speaking for the Montreal Canadiens

Wut?

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Nobody hated Subban, not even Bergevin, he just isn't a team player. That runned on everyone's nerves. Anybody who was around the team knew that.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Not sure when MB said this years defense was better than last year was a sarcastic joke or not.

He also suggested that Jordie Benn was a viable option to pair with Weber.

He's either the world's greatest troll or the hockey's worst judge of talent . I'm guessing it's the latter.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Weekly reminder that the Montreal Canadiens, an organization worth $1.18 billion, currently have nearly $9 million in cap space.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Price said himself he has had a friendship with Weber years before the trade ever happened and that his friendship with Subban was mostly because they were team mates . Translation friends but not really.

Price seemed to do better without real friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad