Rumor: Next Winter Classic: Flyers To Visit Capitals

rWoHockeyman88

Jul 7, 2010
Richmond, VA
I had a blast at the winter classic and would go every year if the flyers were in it. Despite the poor sightlines, the atmosphere was unbelievable. The only people who are tired of the stadium series never expierenced the game live. That said I really hope its not at fed ex field, I hate that stadium...

Yeah, I think FedEx could dilute the experience due to the size. Has the Wings/Leafs classic sold out yet? Most likely it will be at Nationals park. From what I hear on the radio (not sure how true it is), Caps ownership isn't too fond of Dan Snyder. The game might be really interesting at RFK for it's history, but I don't know how the sightlines would work out. I have only been there once for a DC United game a REALLY long time ago.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
Yeah, I think FedEx could dilute the experience due to the size. Has the Wings/Leafs classic sold out yet? Most likely it will be at Nationals park. From what I hear on the radio (not sure how true it is), Caps ownership isn't too fond of Dan Snyder. The game might be really interesting at RFK for it's history, but I don't know how the sightlines would work out. I have only been there once for a DC United game a REALLY long time ago.

RFK is a cool stadium but way out of date. I don't think the NHL would go there for that reason alone. Nationals park is absolutely gourgous, you have the poor sight line issues like the one at CBP(every stadium game does), but the park and surrounding area are awesome.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany

Haven't checked but I think Leafs fans alone could probably sell that Stadium out in a couple of days.

Hooah4

Apr 4, 2007
Maungie, PA
Can't the league just get the Pens and Flyers to play at Beaver Stadium? That's what we all really want to see.
Problem is that both teams cannot agree on who would be the "home" team. It's al about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

rWoHockeyman88

Jul 7, 2010
Richmond, VA
If we do get into another Winter Classic, I can't wait to see what the Chinese Knockoff jerseys look like, and then people that wear them for 3 years after the event:laugh:

6a0115709f071f970b0154328845b7970c.jpe

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
I think they need to continue hand picking the teams. Stanley Cup rematch is too risky. In 2007 your WC would have been Edmonton and Carolina, both of who didn't even make the playoffs that year. Plus you could run into scenarios where neither team could realistically host a WC.
The WC is going to going to rotate around the 7-8 until the well runs dry. I don't mind the stadium series, but I would kill it after this year and just stick to 1 game. I know the Caps were promised the next game which would have been this year if there wasn't a lock out, but Minnesota should really be the next candidate for 2016.

RJ8812*

I think they're struggling to sell tickets TBH bc I got an e-mail from TeamBuy (kinda like Groupon) and they were selling discount tickets on there. They usually only do that when sales are going well for concerts/events

Struggling may not be the proper word, but I don't think it'll be an actual "sell-out" in that they actually sold all the tickets

RJ8812*

Haven't checked but I think Leafs fans alone could probably sell that Stadium out in a couple of days.

very doubtful

There may be a lot of Leafs fans, but for the most part, they can't all afford the insane prices that tickets would cost for a WC game

laundryman

Jun 28, 2011
What's not to like about it? Every one I watch is as compelling as the first one I've seen, and I'm looking forward to the full slate this year. To me this doesn't seem like something that really will fade out. It will always be fun to see a game like this outside, especially if you are in that city. I didn't get to go to the first one in Philly, you better believe I'll be at the next one. I'm sure there are people in all these cities that feel the same way.

I enjoy the games as much as the next guy, but it loses it's luster when there's 5 games a year. I think it's more special when it's just a single game every year.

RJ8812*

I enjoy the games as much as the next guy, but it loses it's luster when there's 5 games a year. I think it's more special when it's just a single game every year.

I agree, but the NHL doesn't really care about how "special" the game is

It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

rWoHockeyman88

Jul 7, 2010
Richmond, VA

I agree with this, and even with one game a year. I think the luster begins to wear off as a team is consistently show cased in the game. Don't get me wrong, I will probably still go if the price is right. I had more fun at the Winter Classic in Boston than I did for the one in Philly, and I think its because it was a first time experience. I still enjoyed the game in Philly and had better seats, but it wasn't as special the second time around. Oddly, I enjoyed the alumni game more than the actual Winter Classic. It was probably watching my childhood idles out there, but it was amazing and very cool to share with my wife.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I agree with this, and even with one game a year. I think the luster begins to wear off as a team is consistently show cased in the game. Don't get me wrong, I will probably still go if the price is right. I had more fun at the Winter Classic in Boston than I did for the one in Philly, and I think its because it was a first time experience. I still enjoyed the game in Philly and had better seats, but it wasn't as special the second time around. Oddly, I enjoyed the alumni game more than the actual Winter Classic. It was probably watching my childhood idles out there, but it was amazing and very cool to share with my wife.

The Lindros to Leclair goal was just awesome. It was like being 8 again.

RJ8812*

I honestly I don't care about this one, the Caps don't do anything for me.

This is going to be our third one so it's not like it really excites me just off the simple fact that we're in the game.

but according to NBC, we have a rivalry with WSH...

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
and according to Washington we have a rivalry with them.:) They are still upset that Ron Hextall scored on them.

Yeah it's really weird... Caps fans consider us a top 3 rival... For Philly fans, the caps are just another team. Not even a top 5 rival imo

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
I had a blast at the winter classic and would go every year if the flyers were in it. Despite the poor sightlines, the atmosphere was unbelievable. The only people who are tired of the stadium series never expierenced the game live. That said I really hope its not at fed ex field, I hate that stadium...
I was at the Winter Classic in Philly and I think it's getting to be overdone, so that's not true.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
i just want to see another Flyers 24/7. :nod:

With multiple teams doing this, I doubt that now.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
I was at the Winter Classic in Philly and I think it's getting to be overdone, so that's not true.

Im sure you know but you're in the minority. The game would sell out every year if the flyers were in it...no doubt in my mind. The average fan loves it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad