Rumor: Next Winter Classic: Flyers To Visit Capitals

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I think it'd be cool if the Winter Classic was determined by results from the previous season.

For example:
-A rematch of the previous Stanley Cup series
-The top regular season of the east vs top team west
-Alternating Metropolitan division winner vs Atlantic division winner or Central Division winner vs Pacific Division winner

Seems like it'd be more of an honor and maybe get fans more excited about the earning the best regular season record or a division title.

I doubt they really need to plan it a full year before hand.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I think it'd be cool if the Winter Classic was determined by results from the previous season.

For example:
-Alternating Metropolitan division winner vs Atlantic division winner or Central Division winner vs Pacific Division winner

Seems like it'd be more of an honor and maybe get fans more excited about the earning the best regular season record or a division title.

If Eklund is right, here is a list of the winter classic teams:

Philadelphia - 3
Pittsburgh - 2
Washington - 2
Detroit - 2
Rangers, Chicago, Buffalo, Boston - 1

I am okay with keeping the winter classic in big markets, then I would prefer to move the stadium series all around the NHL to places you might not expect them, e.g. Dodger Stadium. Also I don't understand why people are so unhappy with 6 outdoor games in a season, I like it.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
They're really beating the outdoor games to death. There's nothing special about the Winter Classic if they're going to have 5 outdoor games in the span of a month. Not much of a "classic"....

ayshplaysh

Jul 2, 2011
Can't the league just get the Pens and Flyers to play at Beaver Stadium? That's what we all really want to see.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
How the hell would Tampa host a game?

If the Dodger Stadium game goes well, I would not be surprised too see an abundance of games in hot locations, e.g. AT&T Stadium (Dallas vs. St. Louis Blues), LP Field (Predators vs. Red Wings), Raymond James Stadium (Lightning vs. Capitals). The average temperature in January for Tampa ranges from 50 degrees to about 70. It is slightly colder in LA in January but, it could be very comparable, I hope it goes well.

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
If the Dodger Stadium game goes well, I would not be surprised too see an abundance of games in hot locations, e.g. AT&T Stadium (Dallas vs. St. Louis Blues), LP Field (Predators vs. Red Wings), Raymond James Stadium (Lightning vs. Capitals). The average temperature in January for Tampa ranges from 50 degrees to about 70. It is slightly colder in LA in January but, it could be very comparable, I hope it goes well.

It could really help promote hockey in the southern cities if they can successfully play some outdoor games.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They're really beating the outdoor games to death. There's nothing special about the Winter Classic if they're going to have 5 outdoor games in the span of a month. Not much of a "classic"....

"Winter Classic" still makes sense, it's a reference to old time games that were played outdoors.

If it was "Winter Special" or "Winter Unique" it would be wrong lol

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I really hope this is true. I don't get why people would be less excited about this just because there's more than one outdoor game per season. If the Flyers are in it I'm immediately interested and excited, other teams doing a similar thing doesn't change that at all. It'd also be awesome to see them do 24/7 Flyers Capitals. I love that miniseries when it's interesting, which it certainly would be if it's the Flyers again. I want to see more about the players on the team away from the rink, not just focused on that Russian idiot and Jagr 90% of the time.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
That's really the only thing left that I want to see with this. After that I couldn't care less of the Winter Classic anymore.

They would have to call in the Green Berets to provide extra security for that game. When I lived out there it seemed like there were slightly more Pitt fans but in that huge stadium it would look 5050.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Yeah. I much prefer having one as a New Yearsy type thing. I will watch that and enjoy it.

Especially since this year's alumni game is ****ing ABSURD. Poor marketing choice to kill the concept by overdoing it.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
Yeah, every game should be played outdoors! :laugh:

Odds of having an indoor classic in 2020?

For example:

That's be awesome.

The only reason I like the Winter Classic is 24/7.
The hockey for the most part has been awful and the whole build-up to it was annoying as hell. Don't care one bit about this Stadium Series.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
How the hell would Tampa host a game?

Bettman didn't tell you?? NHL 2015 Roller Hockey Classic :sarcasm:

For example:

I really like the alternating division winner idea. One extra game and it'll likely feature top teams who deserve to play in the game.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I really don't like the idea of multiple outdoor games.

Yup, much like every good thing that happens in the NHL Bettman & Co. felt the need to run this into the ground as well.

What's not to like about it? Every one I watch is as compelling as the first one I've seen, and I'm looking forward to the full slate this year. To me this doesn't seem like something that really will fade out. It will always be fun to see a game like this outside, especially if you are in that city. I didn't get to go to the first one in Philly, you better believe I'll be at the next one. I'm sure there are people in all these cities that feel the same way.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
I had a blast at the winter classic and would go every year if the flyers were in it. Despite the poor sightlines, the atmosphere was unbelievable. The only people who are tired of the stadium series never expierenced the game live. That said I really hope its not at fed ex field, I hate that stadium...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad