Pre-Game Talk: Next Two Weeks filled with Divisional Opponents

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Glad to hear that Roy acknowledge that Pickard would have stayed up if the situation had allowed it. Have to wonder if they are actively shopping Berra.

From the tone... I would guess that Berra is gone this summer. Either to Europe or traded.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's possible Berra would have been available July 1st. Flames had Ramo signed and they most likely would have wanted to upgrade in goal.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Berra isn't going to go to Europe and make less money. He's here until his contract ends unless they can somehow trade him.

m0ngr31

Maybe this will be a wakeup call for them not to throw years at a player who hasn't proven himself to the team yet.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Berra isn't going to go to Europe and make less money. He's here until his contract ends unless they can somehow trade him.

He wouldn't make less money... the Avs would still be on the hook for his contract, or at least the difference from what the Euro team paid him.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He wouldn't make less money... the Avs would still be on the hook for his contract, or at least the difference from what the Euro team paid him.

I guess I just don't understand contracts in Europe because that sounds insane to me :laugh:
Why wouldn't every player who isn't getting ice time just dart off to Europe if they could be paid the same? I thought if you leave the NHL you left your contract as well. Like I said though, i'm clueless about the salary part of hockey.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I guess I just don't understand contracts in Europe because that sounds insane to me :laugh:
Why wouldn't every player who isn't getting ice time just dart off to Europe if they could be paid the same? I thought if you leave the NHL you left your contract as well. Like I said though, i'm clueless about the salary part of hockey.

Not if it is a loan... It gets weird. Basically if it came to be that he was destined to ride the bus in the AHL for the next two seasons, I could see him saying eff that and go back to Switzerland and play out those two years. The Avs should get a bit of salary relief from it as well, so they would likely agree to it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Can't they just terminate his contract if he refuses to go to the AHL? If so, why agree to loan him out?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Can't they just terminate his contract if he refuses to go to the AHL? If so, why agree to loan him out?

Because he would be dumb to absolutely refuse. The 'eff that' was TIC... it would be a sit down conversation where Berra's agent basically says you can pay him 1.45m to be in the AHL and be a call up when needed... or you can pay him 700k to go play in Europe. The money difference could easily make it worth it to loan him.

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
Not enough talk about Holden being moved to forward. What's up with that? Who does he replace up front and who replaces him at back?

It seems odd. I would rather see him get scratched.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Not enough talk about Holden being moved to forward. What's up with that? Who does he replace up front and who replaces him at back?

It seems odd. I would rather see him get scratched.

The injury and IR situation. Stollery was called up and takes his place, he just takes the hole on the 4th line that Colin Smith played last game. There are no extra bodies, therefore no scratches. My guess is this lasts all of 2 games and if they get a forward back on Tuesday it all goes back to normal.

Regarding the backup job next year, wouldn't we be having a similar conversation about our then 23 year old goalie needing to get consistent play?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Regarding the backup job next year, wouldn't we be having a similar conversation about our then 23 year old goalie needing to get consistent play?

At some point that conversation has to end, but likely that would still be happening.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I'm going to bet that this Holden at forward thing will work out. I bet he gets his defensive game together a bit after he moves back.

But maybe I'm just being ridiculous.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
I'm going to bet that this Holden at forward thing will work out. I bet he gets his defensive game together a bit after he moves back.

But maybe I'm just being ridiculous.

Well, playing forward it'll be easier to hide his mistakes and it'll be less stressful on him. He can find his game again in a spot that has less pressure placed on him to perform.

Hopefully he takes it as a chance to take a deep breath and relax. I feel like he still has it in him to be an offensive D that can produce a few from the third line without being a massive liability. I think it's just when he was expected to do more he started to fall apart.

Aves Fren

Eat the Jets
Dec 20, 2005
I got the GDT up. My first one I've done so go easy on me. hehehe. I did the Avs lines based on available info I had last night. If they're wrong and I'm sure they are, please tell me.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'm sure it will be great!

Don't think lines have changed since yesterday but quickly they are

90 9 40
92 29 12
81 25 48
55 43 2

I think Sgarbossa should be switched with Talbot to be honest. Between Talbot and McLeod playing together frequently as well as Sgarbossa being more offensive... it just makes sense.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Sgarbossa should be switched with Talbot to be honest. Between Talbot and McLeod playing together frequently as well as Sgarbossa being more offensive... it just makes sense.

It's a shame vincour or cody can't take draws could I'd like a talbot, sgar and Briere line. I know it's little, but I think they'd work well together and bring a good combination of skating, forechecking, and skill.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
update for the Jets game tomorrow.

Top D pair is MIA- Bogosian broke a foot last night, out 4-6 weeks. Enstrom out for the month of December.
Clitsome also out.

Byfuglien will be playing D until further notice. You get his first game back on the blue line, paired with an AHL callup (Chiarot). And that's our second pairing!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
update for the Jets game tomorrow.

Top D pair is MIA- Bogosian broke a foot last night, out 4-6 weeks. Enstrom out for the month of December.
Clitsome also out.

Byfuglien will be playing D until further notice. You get his first game back on the blue line, paired with an AHL callup (Chiarot). And that's our second pairing!

You can have Holden for a bag of potato chips and an ice girl to fill in at forward for a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad