Boston Bruins Next two games postponed - NO Covid Debate Allowed.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I’m not 100% sure you’d have to cut the North games just so that every division is the same. Since every game is divisional, you could have the North play a full schedule, and the East play 50-52, and it would work out well in terms of figuring out who makes the playoffs.

Is it 100% fair? No. The North would have had to play more games, and would be that much more tired. But it’s NEVER fair. Bruins had the Presidents Cup locked up pretty early back in 2013-14, and they played Krug as a forward one game. They could phone in the last 3-4 games that season. Granted, they worked for that advantage, but nothing’s 100% fair. Would it be more fair this season to force teams into 4-in-5 game situations just so all divisions play the same number of games?

As long as the last two weeks are free of 3-in-3s (it’s happened due to rescheduling), and no team gets a full vacation, it should be okay. First two rounds are also divisional, anyway. By the semis, most regular season effects should have gradually worn off. But perhaps I’m underestimating the effect of the length of the season.

There’s precedent for unequal season length - the California AHL teams play fewer games due to travel/budget issues.

What benefit is there having the Canadian teams still play all their scheduled games? It's not like they really need that 9th game against this or that opponent, they've already seen quite enough of each other, and with no crowds in attendance there's no money in it for the owners. I imagine there'd be some kind of impact for the TV networks, but I don't think that'd be a major consideration at this point. For sure they could have the northern teams play all their games anyway, but what point would it serve?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I can tell you this much - The NHL intends to end the regular season around May 15th - Cup MUST be awarded by July 22nd but NBC is pushing for July 15th so people can then go to Japan

Because of arena conflicts with NBA teams we are going to see some weekday afternoon games.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I guess this kind of thing multiple times during the season was to be expected. My hope is that the nastier variants of the virus are kept at bay from North America. If those get in here and start creating surges, then things might get real tricky for the NHL by playoff time, as a couple of the variants spread faster and are infecting people who had built up immunity from previous versions of the virus.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I guess this kind of thing multiple times during the season was to be expected. My hope is that the nastier variants of the virus are kept at bay from North America. If those get in here and start creating surges, then things might get real tricky for the NHL by playoff time, as a couple of the variants spread faster and are infecting people who had built up immunity from previous versions of the virus.

Hate to say it, but all the known more infectious and more resistant to antibody variants of the virus are already present in the USA. Some have so far only been detected in a few states, so perhaps it can be hoped they don't spread nation-wide, but they're definitely already in the mix in both America and Canada.

Coronavirus Variants and Mutations

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am in what is called Group 3 - I can't go anywhere near the players and if I did my tag would record it.

Cam Neely and Charlie Jacobs have the same restrictions I have and they can't even have contact with Sweeney.

Here is our bible

https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2020-21/2020-21COVID19Protocol.pdf

upload_2021-3-20_1-38-57.png

Group 1 individuals include: • Players • Coaches, including Video Coaches • Athletic Trainers (at least 2) • Strength and Conditioning Coach(es) • Equipment Managers (at least 2) • Massage, chiropractic and other performance personnel • Club Neuropsychologists (Training Camp and initial/follow-up evaluations only) • Club’s Physicians and dentists In addition, the On-Ice Officials assigned to work NHL games will also be deemed Group 1 individuals and will have corresponding access to Restricted Areas in Game Facilities and will be similarly required to observe Protocol responsibilities and safeguards required for Group 1 individuals. Absent extenuating circumstances, Group 1 individuals are prohibited from accessing Non-Restricted Areas.

Group 2 consists of additional personnel whose job function requires them to have access to Restricted Areas, and further: (a) be in close proximity to Players and other Group 1 personnel, but on a less frequent and for shorter duration-basis than Group 1 personnel; and (b) who always maintain the use of face coverings and physical distancing. Group 2 personnel should also be limited to essential personnel only. Individuals in Group 2 will be tested (if applicable) in accordance with the Testing strategy outlined in Section L2. • Group 2A (Club) personnel may include: • General Managers and Assistant General Managers • Other necessary Hockey Operations Personnel • Club Public Relations/Communications/Social Media Personnel Limit of 4 individuals at any one time • Club Transportation Personnel • Club Travel Coordinators/Club Services Coordinator • Club IT Support requiring access to Restricted Areas (e.g., during interviews, etc.) • X-Ray Technician(s) • Locker Room Attendants (if different from Club-engaged cleaning crews) Limit of 2 individuals per Club1 • Security assigned to Restricted Areas • COVID-19 Collection and Testing Personnel • NHLPA Personnel designated as “Player Contact Representatives”

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Can be fully vaccinated and still test positive. That's Me. I'm 55-years old. Bike 150-200 miles per week. Ultra fit. Wiped me out. Month later, I'm still not right.

Wife likely got it at a DR's appt. She spent 21-days in the hospital (pre-existing issues). She's officially a long-hauler on O2 constantly. Sh'e burned up sick days - no idea when or if she'll be able to return to work. Walking 4-feet is an endeavor. Pray no one, I mean no one, ever, ever gets it. PERIOD

As an aside, watching bench during that Rangers debockle it seemed something was wrong. Maybe this?
Wow guy, this is crazy stuff. My neighbor is para-medic and last summer he was telling me that people that he's seen that were thought to be of fragile health have pulled through fine. Then a 30-something athletic cop got it and after months still isn't right and needs a transplant (can't remember for sure but I think it damaged his liver).
My heart goes out to you, I hope that you and your wife recover 100%.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Wasn't Pasta part a group of Bruins that were in Covid protocol last summer? He and
a few other Bruins had a picture of them taken with no masks on posing arm-in-arm.
Pasta is one relaxed kinda dood... Doesn't seem to get too stressed about much.

Reactions: Bodit9

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
It’ll be interesting if this situation provides “cover” for Sweeney and co. if they DNQ for the playoffs.

“We were in first until injuries hit, and then Covid did us in. I feel good about this group and we’re going to make another run at it next year.”
Would it surprise you if this did happen!?!

Reactions: smithformeragent

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Can be fully vaccinated and still test positive. That's Me. I'm 55-years old. Bike 150-200 miles per week. Ultra fit. Wiped me out. Month later, I'm still not right.

Wife likely got it at a DR's appt. She spent 21-days in the hospital (pre-existing issues). She's officially a long-hauler on O2 constantly. Sh'e burned up sick days - no idea when or if she'll be able to return to work. Walking 4-feet is an endeavor. Pray no one, I mean no one, ever, ever gets it. PERIOD

As an aside, watching bench during that Rangers debockle it seemed something was wrong. Maybe this?
Yikes. I hope you and your wife have a full recovery...soon. This COVID is terrible.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I’m not 100% sure you’d have to cut the North games just so that every division is the same. Since every game is divisional, you could have the North play a full schedule, and the East play 50-52, and it would work out well in terms of figuring out who makes the playoffs.

Is it 100% fair? No. The North would have had to play more games, and would be that much more tired. But it’s NEVER fair. Bruins had the Presidents Cup locked up pretty early back in 2013-14, and they played Krug as a forward one game. They could phone in the last 3-4 games that season. Granted, they worked for that advantage, but nothing’s 100% fair. Would it be more fair this season to force teams into 4-in-5 game situations just so all divisions play the same number of games?

As long as the last two weeks are free of 3-in-3s (it’s happened due to rescheduling), and no team gets a full vacation, it should be okay. First two rounds are also divisional, anyway. By the semis, most regular season effects should have gradually worn off. But perhaps I’m underestimating the effect of the length of the season.

There’s precedent for unequal season length - the California AHL teams play fewer games due to travel/budget issues.
the California AHL teams didn't play 68 for that reason.... that was an agreement to create the division.... which had it not happened when it did in 2014/15. WHICH extended to 2015/16, but the premise was who got LA/SJ to change their stance about leaving NE for CA AND that move would've happened by now if it hadn't by then .. that's why you no longer have Portland or Worcester playing Providence.... the expenses of surviving in the changing economics of the AHL since 2001, is why there's only 3 New England teams active in 2021, 4, traditionally, if you readd Springfield.

SJ/LA/ANA also own their teams outright, just like Bridgeport and Hartford are here in New England, why has DN not just bitten the bullet and bought Providence by now... 1) it's because the state of RI controls the DDC .

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I am in what is called Group 3 - I can't go anywhere near the players and if I did my tag would record it.

Cam Neely and Charlie Jacobs have the same restrictions I have and they can't even have contact with Sweeney.

Here is our bible

https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2020-21/2020-21COVID19Protocol.pdf

View attachment 410131

Group 1 individuals include: • Players • Coaches, including Video Coaches • Athletic Trainers (at least 2) • Strength and Conditioning Coach(es) • Equipment Managers (at least 2) • Massage, chiropractic and other performance personnel • Club Neuropsychologists (Training Camp and initial/follow-up evaluations only) • Club’s Physicians and dentists In addition, the On-Ice Officials assigned to work NHL games will also be deemed Group 1 individuals and will have corresponding access to Restricted Areas in Game Facilities and will be similarly required to observe Protocol responsibilities and safeguards required for Group 1 individuals. Absent extenuating circumstances, Group 1 individuals are prohibited from accessing Non-Restricted Areas.

Group 2 consists of additional personnel whose job function requires them to have access to Restricted Areas, and further: (a) be in close proximity to Players and other Group 1 personnel, but on a less frequent and for shorter duration-basis than Group 1 personnel; and (b) who always maintain the use of face coverings and physical distancing. Group 2 personnel should also be limited to essential personnel only. Individuals in Group 2 will be tested (if applicable) in accordance with the Testing strategy outlined in Section L2. • Group 2A (Club) personnel may include: • General Managers and Assistant General Managers • Other necessary Hockey Operations Personnel • Club Public Relations/Communications/Social Media Personnel Limit of 4 individuals at any one time • Club Transportation Personnel • Club Travel Coordinators/Club Services Coordinator • Club IT Support requiring access to Restricted Areas (e.g., during interviews, etc.) • X-Ray Technician(s) • Locker Room Attendants (if different from Club-engaged cleaning crews) Limit of 2 individuals per Club1 • Security assigned to Restricted Areas • COVID-19 Collection and Testing Personnel • NHLPA Personnel designated as “Player Contact Representatives”

If the Group 1 or 2 aren't present, can anyone from your group access their areas? Like the benches, etc? I know I've seen interviews on the bench with a player with a headset. I wonder who brings that to them or sets it up?

Be safe Fenway.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
On some positive news the leaf fans are walking the plank as I type its a real dumpster fire over there.

It's hilarious.
2 weeks ago TSN/Sportsnet were cuing for the Leafs cup run, buying party favors, how Matthews is the greatest player ever , etc etc...

Last I heard there's rumblings of going with Campbell as their starter in net.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
I can tell you this much - The NHL intends to end the regular season around May 15th - Cup MUST be awarded by July 22nd but NBC is pushing for July 15th so people can then go to Japan

Because of arena conflicts with NBA teams we are going to see some weekday afternoon games.

Just reading Japan will bar international spectators. Think that will include folks in your business Fenway?

I work in schools and have more cases now in NYS local schools than any time in past year. With Spring breaks starting, the CDC changing distances from 6 to 3 ft, the next three weeks look disheartening.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I really hope they test negative.

Getting COVID is whatever, but the after effects for a young healthy athlete can be absolutely devastating.

I work out 6 days a week and play club sports and it has taken so much strength and endurance from me. And now I have asthma...obviously not ideal for an NHL caliber athlete.

You can tell that the Sabres are suffering still from COVID. Another example would be Cam Newton, who clearly suffered post-COVID.

Hope you make a full recovery. Too many people don't realize that some very healthy people suffer after-effects.
My 15 year-old daughter is going through the same thing. Her and my wife somehow got Covid this past fall and she hasn't been the same since. She's a high-end athlete and although we can't be sure it's the after-effects, her running and stamina fell off the map and she started getting dizzy when she exerts too much. Five months and it's improved but she still isn't back to normal.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Is there any chance the NHL would extend the season a couple weeks? They could redo the schedule and space everyone's games out a bit more in case of more cancelled games.

Reactions: nORRis8

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
No because NBC needs them done before the Olympics start in July.

Really? I guess that makes sense. Sucks - but makes sense.
It's going to be impossible to ice a healthy line-up if they're forced to play that condensed of a schedule. The whole thing will be back-to-backs. And if they can't play a full season and it goes by points % it'll probably be games against Buffalo and Jersey that are left on the table. I'm starting to have that same feeling I did last summer after the long lay-off, that it's nice to watch hockey but my expectations and ... I don't know how to phrase really - my demands for this team or how I view them, judge them, I don't know - it's an asterisk season.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Hope you make a full recovery. Too many people don't realize that some very healthy people suffer after-effects.
My 15 year-old daughter is going through the same thing. Her and my wife somehow got Covid this past fall and she hasn't been the same since. She's a high-end athlete and although we can't be sure it's the after-effects, her running and stamina fell off the map and she started getting dizzy when she exerts too much. Five months and it's improved but she still isn't back to normal.
I hope your wife and daughter have a full recovery. I know some people who have the same issues as your daughter. They seem to slowly be getting better but it is taking a long time.

The guy who lives across the street got it from his wife last March (She works in a nursing home) . She didn't get real sick with COVID but is having the same issues as your daughter. Her husband (has COPD) ,was on a ventilator and then went to a nursing home. He was gone for 2 months . He looks like he aged 20 years.

I hope to avoid it.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Is there any chance the NHL would extend the season a couple weeks? They could redo the schedule and space everyone's games out a bit more in case of more cancelled games.
I was very surprised they went with this many games to begin with. 40 would have been sufficient to create seperation between the teams.
With there being obvious cancellations it's going to a very crowded calender.

Thankfully for the Bruins we have 1/2 of Providence up right now ;)

Reactions: b in vancouver

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad