Movies: next James Bond will be Aaron Taylor-Johnson?

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Not sure if he turned it down yet, but Tom Hardy. Idris Elba is good but I don't think anyone was as old as him when they became Bond.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not sure if he turned it down yet, but Tom Hardy. Idris Elba is good but I don't think anyone was as old as him when they became Bond.
Hardy is 45. If they are not going to shoot the next Bond film until like 2025 he’s going to be 47, 48 in 2025. Not really setup to hold the role for upwards of a decade.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Having just watched the Top Boy series, I really enjoyed Ashley Walters (Dushane). He would be a pretty bad ass Bond.

He's 41 though.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
I looked up Aaron Taylor-Johnson to see what his wife has directed, and I learned they met when she was directing him in a movie when he was 18 and she was 42. She's currently directing an Amy Winehouse biopic and also did Fifty Shades of Grey and a couple others.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Having just watched the Top Boy series, I really enjoyed Ashley Walters (Dushane). He would be a pretty bad ass Bond.

He's 41 though.
It's going to be an 8-12 year run as Bond, depending on the number of films the actor signs on for.

And it's probably not going to begin shooting until 2024 at the earliest I would imagine. Asking this actor to remain in excellent shape into his 50's. Craig got the role at 37 so this Walters person is going to be 5 years or more older than Craig by the time shooting begins.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Latest rumour here in the UK has Aaron Taylor-Johnson wanting his wife to direct bond movie he does.
I looked up Aaron Taylor-Johnson to see what his wife has directed, and I learned they met when she was directing him in a movie when he was 18 and she was 42. She's currently directing an Amy Winehouse biopic and also did Fifty Shades of Grey and a couple others.
Haha this guy is so whipped.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Out of the rumored candidates, my choice would be Aaron Taylor Johnson. He's young enough and can pull off the rugged suave look. I recently saw him in Bullet Train and he was great in it.

Aaron-Taylor-Honson-Bond-1200x900.png

This guy did duck face once and now you want him to be Bond.

• Haha
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
They all take steroids.
Well... that's probably true. I would say Pattinson for The Batman didn't. I remember while they were filming the movies, there was an article I read about him having trouble "bulking up" because of his fast metabolism. I think there was another item I read with a possible quote from him saying he wasn't going to bulk up for the role of batman. I would say that's code for I'm not going to take steroids.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Elba is too old and the feeling is once Bond goes to someone of colour that if it goes back to a cacausion that there would be too much blow back and debate.
This makes no sense whatsoever. Who exactly is "feeling" that and why would anyone take that person or persons seriously?

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This makes no sense whatsoever. Who exactly is "feeling" that and why would anyone take that person or persons seriously?
Are you imagining that there wouldn't be blowback and debate or just expressing that there shouldn't be? Of course, there shouldn't be, but I think that we all know that there would be. There's always debate when an important character is race swapped. We're having it right now, so why would it be different the next time? Just as there are people who want Bond to stay white, there'll be people who won't want him to go back to being white. They'll likely argue that we've already had half a dozen white Bonds, that other ethnicities deserve representation and that going back to a Caucasian would be a reversal of progress. They probably also won't want non-white Bond to look like a failed experiment and a victory for "racists," especially if his era doesn't last as long as Craig's did. The people arguing and worrying about that may be in the minority and not taken seriously, but I think that we can expect some debate. No matter the subject, if there's controversy over a change in the first place, there'll be controversy over changing it back.

Besides, haven't you heard "Once you go black, you never go back"? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
of all the takes I was expecting in this thread, "Richard Madden isn't handsome enough" was not one of them.

Richard Madden makes Daniel Craig look like Steve Buscemi.
1679334154728.png

Couldn't recall what Richard Madden looked like and I googled him and swore this was a picture of Jack Harlow lol

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

He's 41 though.
I'm surprised he's 41 already but I agree that he'd make a great Bond. He's excellent in Top Boy which is one of the best shows going right now imo.
View attachment 672777

Couldn't recall what Richard Madden looked like and I googled him and swore this was a picture of Jack Harlow lol
I just can't imagine having to watch women pretend to throw themselves at this ugly bastard.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
To answer the question about what happens if they make Bond a person of colour. Once you make any character change of race or sexuality, if you try to change it back to the original style, there will be protest. For a few years now there has been another reboot of Battlestar Galactica in pre production and one of the few things they said they were considering doing is putting back Starbuck to that of a male and certain parties got pissed off at that idea, saying they have to keep it female because of the second remake and they would protest and cause trouble for the production. It is a tough fight to fight in the current climate

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
To answer the question about what happens if they make Bond a person of colour. Once you make any character change of race or sexuality, if you try to change it back to the original style, there will be protest. For a few years now there has been another reboot of Battlestar Galactica in pre production and one of the few things they said they were considering doing is putting back Starbuck to that of a male and certain parties got pissed off at that idea, saying they have to keep it female because of the second remake and they would protest and cause trouble for the production. It is a tough fight to fight in the current climate

True but it's possible that one day in the future if they want to go back to a white guy, the political environment is different making people not really care about race as much. This guy could be Bond for 10-15 years and then they could pick another black female or gay one for another 10 years and then after that it's 20-25 years from now and who knows what the politics are of the time period.

Furthermore they have to take account the risk that if they pick a white guy and people meh it, the Bond franchise dies. You could have ATJ movie #1 break even due to the interest in new guy, ATJ movie #2 flop, and then it's over as the Broccolis crawl to TV to try to keep it going. Except for breakout every once in a while like Skyfall the franchise usually is only moderate successes financially, and its currently relying on old people. No Time To Die was expensive and I believe only barely made money. I think they should focus on making the next guy as big as possible rather than worry about the ones after. They could determine that black Bond with the rap music soundtrack is the one way to reach young people.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
True but it's possible that one day in the future if they want to go back to a white guy, the political environment is different making people not really care about race as much. This guy could be Bond for 10-15 years and then they could pick another black female or gay one for another 10 years and then after that it's 20-25 years from now and who knows what the politics are of the time period.

Furthermore they have to take account the risk that if they pick a white guy and people meh it, the Bond franchise dies. You could have ATJ movie #1 break even due to the interest in new guy, ATJ movie #2 flop, and then it's over as the Broccolis crawl to TV to try to keep it going. Except for breakout every once in a while like Skyfall the franchise usually is only moderate successes financially, and its currently relying on old people. No Time To Die was expensive and I believe only barely made money. I think they should focus on making the next guy as big as possible rather than worry about the ones after. They could determine that black Bond with the rap music soundtrack is the one way to reach young people.
Picking the wrong guy to be Bond is a risk that exists no matter his skin color. I think that it's safe to say that changing it increases the risk, though. You said, yourself, that the franchise currently relies on "old people," i.e. people who have lived through many Bonds and like the character as he is. Making changes that could lose the interest of the audience that the franchise relies on in order to try to appeal to an audience that already doesn't have much interest in it is probably the riskiest thing that could be done. That's the way to kill a franchise. To make Bond as big (i.e. profitable) as possible, you need to gain younger viewers without losing the older ones. To that end, keeping Bond Caucasian, but making him younger and supporting him with diverse supporting characters may be the safest strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad