Speculation: Next Head Coach of the Calgary Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wish I had any idea who Bill Peters is. Oh well.
I would find the posts by Boom Boom Apathy, as a die hard Carolina fan he really gives some good insight into Peters. His posts (along with the poster formerly known as Carolina's identity saying the same stuff), have changed my opinion from this:

giphy.gif

to this:

giphy.gif

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I don't hate the idea and acknowledge it may work out great. I'm not upset, I'm just not overly enthusiastic about Peters is where I'm at.

But if we go with him and we miss playoffs next season, Brad is done I'd say.

Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I don't hate the idea and acknowledge it may work out great. I'm not upset, I'm just not overly enthusiastic about Peters is where I'm at.

But if we go with him and we miss playoffs next season, Brad is done I'd say.

I really hope Murray Edwards have said this to Brad Trevling.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
On the other hand, "nothing is imminent." Falls in line with Treliving's statement that their search had only started upon GG's firing but I guess we all know how BT keeps his cards close to his chest

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
On the other hand, "nothing is imminent." Falls in line with Treliving's statement that their search had only started upon GG's firing but I guess we all know how BT keeps his cards close to his chest

I guess it depends on how you pinpoint the start of a search. If you define it as when you make the first official phne call, I agree it does fall in line. But, I suspect Treliving, Conroy and Pascal have been gathering information for at least a few months

Reactions: Fig

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Peters is also in the running for New York and Dallas (who he has a good relationship with as well), so it's not like he didn't have other opportunities if the Flames decided against him. I'm sure he'll interview with all of them, like I'm sure Tre will interview AV or even Sutter.

Every one wants Sutter back yet when he was with the Kings they barely scored, played a system that the Flames could NEVER employ with their current forward and defensive group, and barely made the playoffs (yeah they won the Cup twice, but it was on the back of elite goaltending and a stifling defensive system which the Flames don't have).

I personally want AV, but won't be upset with Peters cause a lot of things AV does bother me like never using his rookies, having favourites like Tanner Glass (hello Troy Brouwer 20 minutes a night).

At the end of the day, I don't know why everyone (it's mostly the other board) is losing their minds over a coach that hasn't coached the Flames for 1 second. I didn't like the GG hire at the time, but gave him the benefit doubt and hoped the best for him because I want the Flames to succeed. Hating on Peters now is just stupid because all that says as a fan is you don't have faith in the Flames or anything and that is a stupid outlook to take.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
some good posts by BBA and THH on the main board regarding Peters

He would have had better results with a more talented roster. He took a team that has no top-shelf scoring talent and no goaltending, and made them look like a viable playoff team for much of the season. The wheels fell off eventually and he was very visibly frustrated with certain players by the end. Bear in mind this happened at the same time as an ownership change and the GM getting "promoted" out of his job.

Criticism on Peters is that he forces a very Corsi/analytics friendly structure, with a lot of shooting from the outside and a lot of risks at the blue line which allow a smaller but higher-quality number of chances against. You need the right group of players to really be successful with that style.

IMO he's the best coach currently on the market.

You'll get input from Canes fans that is completely opposite from each other. Some think he's a poor coach that doesn't adapt well and employs a system that doesn't get the most out of players and doesn't promote offense. Some think he's a good coach that got the most out of a young roster that lacks enough talent and has terrible goaltending.

The truth is probably somewhere in between. I do think he'd do well with Calgary as I think they have the roster to play the type of system he likes as their defensemen are good and mobile and he has some skilled forwards.

A lot of issues also stem from having the worst goaltending of the past 5 years. League-average goaltending would have had us in the playoffs and likely a very different situation in our front office.

As far as I could see, Peters had the team playing the best system possible for the group of players we have. I don't see ANY coach in this league making the Hurricanes into a contender with the present roster.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Peters seems like he's pretty much a sideways step from GG

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I feel that Cameron's total incompetence ended up getting the while staff canned. Someone had to be held responsible for letting him ruin the season.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
According to Steinberg it's likely Peters will be announced Monday as our new head coach.

I wasn't so hot on the idea first, but I'm willing to give him a shot. From the interviews I've seen he seems like a bit of a hard ass (in a good way) and he's apparently more blunt/direct with players. I think this could work, just hope we can fix our depth next season.

The ONLY thing that worries me is that the Canes story was much similar to ours in that they had amazing underlying and possession stats, but had trouble scoring. Maybe he'll be the right fit here, who knows.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I know nothing about peters except for what canes fans have said. The one good thing about the timing of this is that it got dealt with early and gives peters and the players plenty of time to prep...now on to our roster woes. I’ll give tre some credit for getting his guy early and look forward to his reasoning behind the hire.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’ve liked it from the behinning. He seems to be well liked by Hockey Canada. And I honestly think we have significantly more talent at every position than Carolina does.

Would have preferred Trotz, Boudreau, or D. Hunter but he’s a nice consolation.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I just hope the Flames keep their 2019 1st round pick, the top 5 players in the draft will be good.

Brad Trevling is running this team like it is his dad's Boston Pizza store.

Reactions: No Draft

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Ballsy move swooping in this early. Treliving must have been eyeing him for a while

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Either they're scared of somebody else hiring him or Treliving has the guy he wanted and wanted bad.

Brad Treliving strikes me as an analytical and methodical man. Wouldn't be surprised if he's been planning this for a while. Certainly will never be described as gun shy, time will tell if that's a good thing or not.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The guy coached a team that has very similar issues and strength as the Flames and he coached them out of the playoff 4 straight years.

Ballsy move by BT if it's true. Similar to the "all in" Hamonic move last summer.

Except this time BT will be likely out of the job next summer if it doesnt work

Last edited:
Reactions: Karri Ramone

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
[mod]

There is not a whole lot of difference between Peters and Glen Gulutzan, Peters is “just a hard ass” that will tuned out by the players. Brad Trevling is running this team like it is his dad Boston Pizza. There are two very good coaches available (AV and Darryl Sutter) and he goes and hires a coach that does not have a good record and is coming from a losing organization.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: No Draft

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
I just hope the Flames keep their 2019 1st round pick, the top 5 players in the draft will be good.

Brad Trevling is running this team like it is his dad's Boston Pizza store.

GM with no history of success and coming from a crappy organisation hires a coach with no history of success and coming from a crappy organisation(s). Said coach bombs out, so the GM hires another coach with no history of success and coming from a crappy organisation.

What can go wrong?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
GM with no history of success and coming from a crappy organisation hires a coach with no history of success and coming from a crappy organisation(s). Said coach bombs out, so the GM hires another coach with no history of success and coming from a crappy organisation.

What can go wrong?

This sums up what I feel like, we could have went with AV or Darryl Sutter or waited because another good coach becomes available, there was no rush, but no we go and hire a coach that has had not be successful at many levels.

The whole "process" was not done right, it was rushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad