Speculation: Next Head Coach of the Calgary Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I never said he was. But using 1 season for 1 player as an argument why he shouldn't be hired is beyond moronic.

Actually that's not my argument why he shouldnt be hired at all....it's just a piece of data that is true but some violently disputed lol

Look at my other post on why I think BT chooses Peters. I am not excited about it but BT makes his bed and he is going to sleep on it, good or bad.

Personally, I doubt Peters will have success unless the forwards are upgraded in a meaningful way if not substantially.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Actually that's not my argument why he shouldnt be hired at all....it's just a piece of data that is true but some violently disputed lol

Look at my other post on why I think BT chooses Peters. I am not excited about it but BT makes his bed and he is going to sleep on it, good or bad.

Personally, I doubt Peters will have success unless the forwards are upgraded in a meaningful way if not substantially.

Well yes, I think everyone can agree we need a few serious upgrades to our forward group regardless of who is the coach. That’s BTs biggest assignment now that a coach is apparently out of the way.

The one positive I see is how Peters has done wonders for a young blueline in Carolina. If he can get our dmen to be more active it’ll be a huge win for our team. On paper we have one of the best d cores in the league, it’s time we play to that strength.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Well yes, I think everyone can agree we need a few serious upgrades to our forward group regardless of who is the coach. That’s BTs biggest assignment now that a coach is apparently out of the way.

The one positive I see is how Peters has done wonders for a young blueline in Carolina. If he can get our dmen to be more active it’ll be a huge win for our team. On paper we have one of the best d cores in the league, it’s time we play to that strength.

Yes, that's Peters' strength . Another upgrade is he is not softie like GG and his willingness to make lineup changes.

The concern is he couldnt get the forwards going in Carolina, not one, not two, not three but for four years. I dont see him magically do it with the current group of forwards in Calgary with his style of coaching.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Yes, that's Peters' strength . Another upgrade is he is not softie like GG and his willingness to make lineup changes.

The concern is he couldnt get the forwards going in Carolina, not one, not two, not three but for four years. I dont see him magically do it with the current group of forwards in Calgary with his style of coaching.

Again, I don’t see anyone getting this forward group going without significant upgrades in adding 1 top six player and a complete revamp to the bottom six. No coach is gonna make pumpkin pie out of bullshit. Our forward group isn’t good enough as is. The scoring depth isn’t there and neither is the skill/size level needed to compete in the pacific.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
I also won’t mind the line juggling bit, at least at first. We never saw any of this under Gully. Monahan was married to Gaudreau and Backlund to Frolik and Tkachuk. What would a Backlund, Tkachuk and Gaudreau line look like? What would a Bennett, Monahan or Tkachuk line look like? None of us have any idea because it was never tried. So sure the coaches play a possession system, but that’s where the similarities stop IMO. I also love Peters demeanour and think he’s the exact type of coach this soft group needs. I’m really excited for his hiring.

I was just talking about this with one of my friend and saying how I have he just throws all the lines in a blender and starts from scratch. I actually mentioned the possibility of a Monahan, Bennett and Tkachuk line as well. That sounds like a line that would be awful to play against and I could see them putting up some huge numbers together.

Aug 3, 2010
At this point, I'm super curious moreso about the associate coaches. Not certain about which names may be available (or willing) exactly, and I don't know Peters' history very well.

Hoping for some names such as Nelson or Crawford to pop up. Any suggestions?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
At this point, I'm super curious moreso about the associate coaches. Not certain about which names may be available (or willing) exactly, and I don't know Peters' history very well.

Hoping for some names such as Nelson or Crawford to pop up. Any suggestions?
I'm hoping Peters is able to bring Steve Smith (back) to Calgary. You know he's the man to look at in regards to the Canes young D's development.

Aug 3, 2010
I'm hoping Peters is able to bring Steve Smith (back) to Calgary. You know he's the man to look at in regards to the Canes young D's development.
Sure, that makes sense. Brind'Amour is the potential heir apparent in Carolina aside from his playing history as it is, so we know he won't be coming over. Not sure if Smith has much in the way of old connections in Alberta anymore, but he'd be a realistic option.

I think D. Sutter, as many who believe he's "done" or "the league has passed him by" with regards to his style, would also be a viable option as an associate coach, if not just for the fact his ties remain healthy and strong to Calgary as well as being in close proximity to the family home. It may appeal to him for reasons such as less pressure than head coaching (as he's already won his Cups) and potentially spend more time with his kid. Not the worst pick IMHO for an associate. He's got pedigree as a good coach as it is and could be well worth it in a supporting role.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I notice that Darren Haynes article says nothing about Carolina's power play. Last year Calgary was third last in the league with a PP success rate of 16% with the NHL average being 20.18%. Carolina wasn't much better at 18.4%

Also, Carolina's PK% was 24th in the league at 77.5%. Calgary had a much more successful PK at 81.8% (7th in the league).

Carolina's special teams record, under Peters, concerns me.

Reactions: viper0220

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I notice that Darren Haynes article says nothing about Carolina's power play. Last year Calgary was third last in the league with a PP success rate of 16% with the NHL average being 20.18%. Carolina wasn't much better at 18.4%

Also, Carolina's PK% was 24th in the league at 77.5%. Calgary had a much more successful PK at 81.8% (7th in the league).

It does though, it basically says even if he is Gulutzan 2.0, a new assistant coach running the PP should help the PP improve

In Peters' 4 years in Carolina, the team had the 5th best PK (with the worst goaltending) and 26th best PP. While those PP numbers are low, much of that is due to a young team and a lack of offensive weapons. Also I believe Brind'Amour ran their PP and he wouldn't be coming here with Peters.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It does though, it basically says even if he is Gulutzan 2.0, a new assistant coach running the PP should help the PP improve

In Peters' 4 years in Carolina, the team had the 5th best PK (with the worst goaltending) and 26th best PP. While those PP numbers are low, much of that is due to a young team and a lack of offensive weapons. Also I believe Brind'Amour ran their PP and he wouldn't be coming here with Peters.
Any idea on who the front runners are for assistant coaches? God forbid Treliving does something stupid again and hire another Dave Cameron. Although, to his credit, Treliving did get it right with Paul Jerrard (who they also fired last week).

Just finished reading this article from July 2016 and the author was bang on about the Cameron hiring.
Dave Cameron and Paul Jerrard hired as Assistant Coaches

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Any idea on who the front runners are for assistant coaches? God forbid Treliving does something stupid again and hire another Dave Cameron. Although, to his credit, Treliving did get it right with Paul Jerrard (who they also fired last week).

Just finished reading this article from July 2016 and the author was bang on about the Cameron hiring.
Dave Cameron and Paul Jerrard hired as Assistant Coaches
Nothing has been suggested yet, but I am hoping that Peters can bring Steve Smith with him (Defense/PK), if not him, then you have to think Huska (Stockton) is a possibility. As for guys to run the PP, I have absolutely no idea, I don't know enough about assistant coaches and who is/might be available.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Having a .900 save percentage will do that to a PK.
Having 1 skill player (Aho) will do that to a PP.

I watched the coaching video someone posted of him talking about situational awareness and in his powerpoint it had all the duties for coaches and all the special teams stuff was done by the assistants (which is the norm for the NHL). He is the overall head coach and should still have final input, but a lot of it is done by assistants. Which is what your next post was about; the Flames really need to hit it out of the park for special teams coaching, more so PP because with the talent we have we should be right up there with the best in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad