Speculation: Next GM

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
I was reading an ESPN insider article about the top-10 potential GM candidates and Tim Murray appeared on the list. Got me thinking, GMBM isn't going to be around much longer, is Tim a shoe-in or maybe someone like Dorion as a darkhorse?

9. Tim Murray, Senators
He's got the pedigree as the son of Bryan Murray's brother but more importantly he's a big part of the young talent contributing to the Senators surprising success. He oversees Ottawa's AHL team in Binghamton, a group that won the 2011 Calder Cup, and it's many of those players who have helped the Senators stay in the playoff race while injuries crushed veterans. Ottawa is another team that has managed to develop a large group of impressive young talent without the traditional tear-down rebuild like the one the Oilers are struggling to emerge from.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Jarmo would have been pretty cool but we missed that boat, so...

I'd like to see Tim. Would be a nice way of ensuring a continued philosophy. Maybe Dorion can take over assistant GM or something once Tim moves up.

R2010

May 23, 2011
I'm pretty happy knowing it will either be Tim or Dorion - i'd prolly be more upset to lose Dorion but Tim's not going anywhere else.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think it depends on how long Bryan Murray stays on before he decides to retire & how the team is doing at that time whether Tim becomes the GM or not. If the team sucks, they could decide to clean house but if they continue to do well & all indications are that they will then It's likely a no brainer & Tim Murray has a good of a chance as anyone to be Ottawa's next GM. That would probably mean that Pierre Dorion would become assistant GM unless some other team offers him a GM job.

It should be interesting because Bryan doesn't look like he is interested in retiring any time soon. He could be pushed out if either Tim or Dorion are offered GM jobs else where & the organization wants to keep them in the fold. Should be interesting.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Dorion will be on the radar for a number of clubs looking for a GM over the next few years. If he isn't GM here in that time frame, someone else will have snapped him up, much like Peter Chiarelli...

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
The longer Bryan Murray stays on, the more likely it is that Dorion leaves imo.

A guy as good as him is destined to get a shot somewhere. And i think it would be a big mistake to let him go.

I know theres a whole team of scouts, coaches, management, etc that makes decisions on players, but I think Dorion is the most responsible for who we draft, and thats the strength of our organization. So losing him would be like losing the most important part of our strongest asset.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
While Dorion is an excellent scout he doesn't have any GM experience in the NHL. A GM also does quite a lot of managing & speaking to the media. He would probably be wise to bide his time, wait for BM to retire & become assistant GM & learn the job that way. He would be better prepared to become a GM in the NHL afterwards. He's got a good thing here with potential for advancement but it will all depend on him whether he would be willing to wait, some will not. Cyril Leeder is still quite young, I`m not sure he is willing to give up the Presidency. I think it all depends on Bryan & how long he plans on doing this.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Tim will be the next GM.

I'd like either Dorion or Pierre MacGuire to be the Assistant GM, though.

Something struck me about McGuire on radio the other day

He wouldn't say the word "sucks" when commenting on Luongo talking about his contract: he said he hated the word.

Something tells me that while he's very knowledgable his general attitude, while great in everyday life, might not be suited for managing a hockey team. Can you imagine the Assitant-Gm being careful with what he says to the players: no swearing would raise eyebrows but the guy won't even SAY the word "sucks"? I'm not sure it would go down so well.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I forgot who said it on twitter (Lebrun?), but someone said to expect a few more GM firings in the summer. I imagine Tim and Pierre are top candidates for any open spot. Ideally Tim would be GM and Pierre asst. GM when BMurr retires.

Sensgirl65

The original EK fan
Jan 25, 2013
I was reading an ESPN insider article about the top-10 potential GM candidates and Tim Murray appeared on the list. Got me thinking, GMBM isn't going to be around much longer, is Tim a shoe-in or maybe someone like Dorion as a darkhorse?

Says who?? I see Bryan Murray being GM until he chooses to retire.

As for the next GM, definitely Tim Murray. Dorion for Assistant GM please.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I forgot who said it on twitter (Lebrun?), but someone said to expect a few more GM firings in the summer. I imagine Tim and Pierre are top candidates for any open spot. Ideally Tim would be GM and Pierre asst. GM when BMurr retires.

Colorado and Buffalo seem like logical places where you would see a change. Dallas is another one, as there is a new owner who didn't hire the incumbent. Wherever there is an opening, expect to hear Brian Burke's name quite frequently. I don't think he will be out of work much longer. In Toronto, his style was considered gauche - in Dallas, it will help sell tickets.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
You're all speculating that Dorion dislikes his position as head scout of our organization. For some the job is about happiness, not dollar bills. I believe Dorion stays in this organization and that Melnyk will give Dorion initiatives to stay. Tim and Dorion will be here after BM moves to presidency.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $209.00