Next Generation - 25 and under Roster (more or less)

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
These types of prospect team threads, while amusing, are always tough. Nobody can predict who will still be around and who will be pushed out by the numbers game. Nor does it include any of the young prospects who may surprise, or anyone we may pick up in the next few years. Not to mention we still have a couple years before we really have to panic about fielding a team without the twins.

Knock on wood here but I'm not too worried about Kronner, he's been fairly steady the last few years. With Datsyuk, it all comes down to health, but I don't see his game falling off. Most players who rapidly decline have games that are predicated on a physical attribute that they lose. Either they lose their speed, or their body breaks down, or what have you. Datsyuk's game is all cerebral, as long as he stays healthy I think he can stay at this level the next couple of years. I'm most worried about Z, but I think they're taking steps by reducing ice time and surrounding him with some big bodies. Again, knock on wood, but I think we're ok for a couple years. And who knows what happens in that time.

As for the question at hand, I think we're fine at forward. If Larkin can stay on track and Mantha can hit somewhere near his projection we'll have a very good forward core. Defensive depth is fine, but, as others have said it's the top pair/#1D that's concerning. But as I said above, we have time to figure that out. Heck, with Kylington and Roy falling, maybe that issue will be resolved this year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ken Holland has done a good job of stacking the cupboards, but even still, life after Dats/Z/Kronner is still very much a crap shoot.

-Winger depth is our strongest area. But that is obvious to us all.

-I believe you need to get 100-120 points from your top 2 centers, though ideally you get closer to the 120 number. 2 most likely candidates are Larkin and Sheahan to assume those roles, although guys like AA and Homer Jr are some dark horse candidates that I wouldn't discount completely.
--- A 70-50 or 60-60 split may be within reach for Dylan and Riley. Riley is on pace for a shade under 40 pts at age 23, and Larkin has skyrocketed his development, he just needs to continue to do so.

-Defense is a question mark. Ouellet and Marchenko both look very composed and think the game very well. Dekeyser would fall in that category too, though he's farther along and doing big things. But none of these guys have that dynamic element of a Nik Kronwall. Most likely the group will need to get things done by committee, which is fine. If Sproul doesn't make the NHL, all of a sudden you have a pretty underwhelming group of guys potentially IMO. Though I do think XO has a better potential ceiling than he is credited with by most.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
If the current trend holds out, expect the 1st round pick to be a big defender from North America. Then the rest of the picks will be big guys from overseas.

Wings have been drafting big lately, is what I'm saying, and they grabbed a ton of centers lately, so I see a big defender shift coming.
The only guy who fits that description is Brandon Carlo. Huge guy, rh RD. Skates very well for his size. But the concern is his offensive upside. The prevailing thought is that he's lacking in that department.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
If the current trend holds out, expect the 1st round pick to be a big defender from North America. Then the rest of the picks will be big guys from overseas.

Wings have been drafting big lately, is what I'm saying, and they grabbed a ton of centers lately, so I see a big defender shift coming.

Wings need more offensive acumen in their defense, both now and in the future because not only would Mike Green be a great player for the Wings now but a young Mike Green would be even better.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The only guy who fits that description is Brandon Carlo. Huge guy, rh RD. Skates very well for his size. But the concern is his offensive upside. The prevailing thought is that he's lacking in that department.

Meloche is pretty decent sized and may go close to where we pick, no???

BigD66

Mar 24, 2009
Red Deer, Alberta
Wings need more offensive acumen in their defense, both now and in the future because not only would Mike Green be a great player for the Wings now but a young Mike Green would be even better.

I'd love this guy:

1374095998983_ORIGINAL.jpg

tumblr_ls76neDWS41qafrh6.gif

Anchor Town*

Not if Sproul hits his ceiling. I think Jensen, XO, and Marchenko could all be second pairing quality guys, so having them fill out half the blueline isn't a bad thing. We know where we are with Smith and Dekeyser. Out of all of the blueliners coming up, Sproul's still got the biggest possibilities.

Sproul is the least likely of all prospects to hit his ceiling though

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
When we talk about our D and a perceived lack of a true #1 I think we should pause for a moment and note that the first time Kronwall cracked 30 points he was 26 years old. Who knows where our current prospects go.. If one things for certain, it's that we have multiple Dmen coming up that have the tools to be bonafied top pairing guys.

That said I would like to see us grab a Dman in the first. A Center could be okay as well but I really hope we target a Top D prospect

Edit: Yea, a typo in there folks. Sorry for the confusion on the age

Last edited:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
When we talk about our D and a perceived lack of a true #1 I think we should pause for a moment and note that the first time Kronwall cracked 30 points he was 36 years old. Who knows where our current prospects go.. If one things for certain, it's that we have multiple Dmen coming up that have the tools to be bonafied top pairing guys.

That said I would like to see us grab a Dman in the first. A Center could be okay as well but I really hoe we target a Top D prospect

Kronwall is 34?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
When we talk about our D and a perceived lack of a true #1 I think we should pause for a moment and note that the first time Kronwall cracked 30 points he was 36 years old. Who knows where our current prospects go.. If one things for certain, it's that we have multiple Dmen coming up that have the tools to be bonafied top pairing guys.

That said I would like to see us grab a Dman in the first. A Center could be okay as well but I really hoe we target a Top D prospect
I think the weakness mostly comes from a lack of a certain type of defenseman. DeKeyser, Ouellet, Marchenko, Jensen... all those guys share a lot of traits. They mostly take care of their own end. I think the Wings badly need a young, high end puckmover, regardless of handedness. It doesn't even have to be a first pairing guy, I don't think. But that's just one of those elements that teams badly need these days, and the lack of it hurts the prospect group.

and that's part of why landing Kylington or Roy or Chabot would be such a big deal.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit

I think you meant 26 lol. Anyways, I believe the argument stems from the fact that we have no defensively sound d-men who can put up points. Smith is flirting with bust status, and many don't believe Sproul is capable of ever becoming halfway decent in his own zone (which I disagree with, since the guy everyone is clamoring for was once considered terrible defensively.)

As for DK, XO and Marchenko, that's just not their game. They've always been considered at best two-way defenseman, and it's very unlikely they develop that ability this late in the game. That's why I really hope we land Roy. Kylington seems to be a great two-way guy but Roy has that booming point shot and seems to have a mind for offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad