Next Generation - 25 and under Roster (more or less)

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Oullett, Sproul, Marchenko and Jensen are leading the way of a GR blueline that is another Calder cup contender.

Not exactly chicken feed!

Dekeyser is every bit as advertised and well on his way to being a great #2 guy IMO.

But yes, the D lacks that true #1 to replace Kronwall, I would agree with that.

Can't argue with the offense. Looks pretty good.
- Tvrdon might figure in the way he has come on lately.
- Athanasiou might be a top 6er.

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan
Defense position arguably takes the longest to develop, so I wouldn't write the potential off.

Add in another quality defenseman and that's quite a prospect team.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Indeed it does.

Not if Sproul hits his ceiling. I think Jensen, XO, and Marchenko could all be second pairing quality guys, so having them fill out half the blueline isn't a bad thing. We know where we are with Smith and Dekeyser. Out of all of the blueliners coming up, Sproul's still got the biggest possibilities.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think the Wings could be fine with that D if the GR guys all turn into top 4 guys. We could still probably use a legit pp qb. That current lineup a bunch of solid dman even though none are probably stars. Wed be more of a Carolina style D when they won the cup.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Not if Sproul hits his ceiling. I think Jensen, XO, and Marchenko could all be second pairing quality guys, so having them fill out half the blueline isn't a bad thing. We know where we are with Smith and Dekeyser. Out of all of the blueliners coming up, Sproul's still got the biggest possibilities.

Optimistic about Sproul and Marchenko, cautiously optimistic about XO and DDK (considering him as a competitive #1 pairing guy soon) and still unsure about Jensen. Cross Smith off the list.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Tatar - Larkin - Mantha
Nyquist - Sheahan - Pulkinnem
Jurco - Helm - AA
Bertuzzi - Holmstrom - Nastasiuk
Glendenning

Dekeyser - Smith
Ouellet - Marchenko
Jensen - Sproul

Mrazek

Are we an elite team in the making?

Looking at this ... we should focus drafting on D/C prospects.

Bottom line though this is a hard argument... do this 2 years ago and we have Jarnkrok in there as the #1... which is clearly not happening.

Mantha and Larkin may not be first line guys either.

Who knows.

Maybe Jensen/Sproul become first line guys, or maybe 6-7th D men.

It all depends on the development... the names actually mean very little unless they are already on the team... then we can get a better idea of how they might top out.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
It's certainly a strong core and with FA/trade additions you can fill the holes.

That said, we probably end up losing a couple of those guys over the next few years. Simply isn't room for all of them and unfortunately for Kenny you can only keep them in the AHL so long.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Just wait til after the draft :)

Seriously bet we add a nice piece or two to the blue line prospect pool.

I agree

Luckily the play of the forwards this year have pushed some of the defenseman down. Kylington has dropped and so has J.Roy.

I'm not being cynical but I hope we drop out of the first round so we can take a pick back and strengthen our D core and maybe pick up a center

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Wouldn't be shocked if the Wings aren't done making a push for Phaneuf to shore up the defense of the future.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Defense position arguably takes the longest to develop, so I wouldn't write the potential off.

Add in another quality defenseman and that's quite a prospect team.

Oliver Kylington is already falling on the draft rankings... just for us to pick him. :nod:

DeKeyser(24y) - Marchenko(23y)
Ouellet(21y) - Sproul(22y)
"Kylington"(17y) - Jensen(24y)
Hicketts(18y)

I'm 100% sure we'll draft a lot of defencemen on the next draft. We need a new wave of D prospects (after those great 2011 pickups).

Forwards:

Nyquist(25y) - Larkin(18y) - Mantha(20y)
Tatar(24y) - Sheahan(23y) - Pulkkinen(23y)
Tvrdon(22y) - Athanasiou(20y) - Jurco(22y)
Bertuzzi(20y) - Glendening(25y) - Nastasiuk(20y) (would love this pain-in-the-ass -line!)
Nosek(22y) - Holmström(18y) - Callahan(23y)/Ferraro(23y)

Mrazek(23y) will be the next DOMINATOR 2.0 on goal.
Paterson(20y)

Average age of this kind of group would be 21.5 years. So their career peak would be somewhere at 27-29 age average. That would mean seasons 2021-24.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mantha-Larkin-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
AA-Holmstrom-Pulkkinen
Nastasiuk-Turgeon-Bertuzzi

Dekeyser-Marchenko
Ouellet-Sproul
De Haas-Jensen

Mrazek
Paterson

We need to draft a couple defenseman to replenish the pool.

Hope we draft 2-3 defenseman, boom or bust Euro forward, sandpaper forward, and a late round Swedish/Finnish goalie.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hope we draft 2-3 defenseman, boom or bust Euro forward, sandpaper forward, and a late round Swedish/Finnish goalie.

We have drafted a goalie kind of as a pattern every second year, and last year they did pick Perry. Don't think we'll draft goalie at next draft. But lots of defencemen, for sure.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We have drafted a goalie kind of as a pattern every second year, and last year they did pick Perry. Don't think we'll draft goalie at next draft. But lots of defencemen, for sure.

Don't think we'll have enough picks for that anyways ;) so we'll have to settle for the rest

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If the current trend holds out, expect the 1st round pick to be a big defender from North America. Then the rest of the picks will be big guys from overseas.

Wings have been drafting big lately, is what I'm saying, and they grabbed a ton of centers lately, so I see a big defender shift coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad