Next Flyers Captain

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
An interesting comparable would be the Sharks.

They've gone through two captain demotions, and the players are still contributing members to the team. (Both having gone from C to A, and A to player.)

For the Flyers to be like the Sharks, they'd have to get better, but frustratingly so, earning the dreaded "choker" label.

If Giroux is Marleau, then the next captain isn't on the team yet. However, the guy to replace ? is probably already in the system, if not the current squad. So the 2nd captain after Giroux is likely Couturier, Koenecny, Rubstov or Provy.

The next captain not yet on the team would be someone in the Pacioriety, Kopitar vein (age, production wise).

ftr- this is a silly exercise because Giroux will be the captain for the foreseeable future.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I am ruling Couturier and Schenn out because Giroux is Captain until he retires or passes it on. So in no particular order I think the "C" will come from this group.
Gostisbehere
Provorov
Konecny
Sanheim
Laughton

Either Provorov or Konecny are my odds on favorites followed by Ghost.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I love Giroux and he's a great player and fine leader and all but I don't get this notion that "omg he's captain until he dies."

He's not Mark Messier.

Dave Poulin is still the No. 2 captain in Flyers history and he was stripped of the C while on the team.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
With Konecny being 9 years younger than G, I am gonna go with him.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I love Giroux and he's a great player and fine leader and all but I don't get this notion that "omg he's captain until he dies."

He's not Mark Messier.

Dave Poulin is still the No. 2 captain in Flyers history and he was stripped of the C while on the team.

I think that's more of an outlier than a norm

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Current flyers captains
Captain: Claude Giroux
Assistant Captain: Mark Streit
Assistant Captain: Wayne Simmons
Jake Voracek wore an "A" when there was an injury to one of the captains.

Future flyers captains
Captain: Travis Konecny
Assistant Captain: Ivan Provorov
Assistant Captain: Wade Allison or Philippe Myers

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
C- Provorov
A- Rubtsov
A- Ovechkin

Ovechkin comes to play with the two greatest Russians of the century in hopes to finally win a cup. Giroux is left unprotected in the expansion draft as he refuses to speak Russian like the rest of the team. He is claimed by the Quebec City Poutines.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
There is a chance that the next Captain isn't even on this team right now.

Think of it this way. Say Giroux is on this team till he's 36, that would be Ghost 31? Provorov 29(ish).

Do they give the captaincy to someone in there early 30s? Maybe, very likely too, but there is a possibility that the next "superstar" on this team isn't on the team yet and they may want to give it to him.

But looking at it like that, my guess is Ghost would be a very likely choice. 31 isn't all that old and he'd be around for like 8 years at that point.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
theres really no way of predicting this early in girouxs captaincy

we may as well guess who our starter is going to be in 10 years

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'd change it from a random date to, if Giroux was not here anymore (for whatever reason) next season, who would be next in line.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I am ruling Couturier and Schenn out because Giroux is Captain until he retires or passes it on. So in no particular order I think the "C" will come from this group.
Gostisbehere
Provorov
Konecny
Sanheim
Laughton
I agree with this but my choice is Sanheim. IMO, he's going to be really special. Provorov is good and does everything well; NHL ready now. His game is ahead of Sanheim's right now. However Sanheim has room to improve and I think that he will. He could be the next Duncan Keith. Guys that are that good should get "C"s unless a Toews is around.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I agree with this but my choice is Sanheim. IMO, he's going to be really special. Provorov is good and does everything well; NHL ready now. His game is ahead of Sanheim's right now. However Sanheim has room to improve and I think that he will. He could be the next Duncan Keith. Guys that are that good should get "C"s unless a Toews is around.

This analysis is weird to me. Provy has been better than Sanheim at just about every age. The idea that Sanheim will suddenly be better than Provy at age 23+ or something seems totally random.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This analysis is weird to me. Provy has been better than Sanheim at just about every age. The idea that Sanheim will suddenly be better than Provy at age 23+ or something seems totally random.

Because the gap has been closing.

2014/15
Sanheim .97 PPG
Provy 1.02 PPG
Provy by .05

2015/16
Sanheim 1.31
Provy 1.18
Sanheim by .13

If someone thinks Sanheim still has more growth potential than Provy, then you can see why.

Sam Gagner was better than Max P until age 23 where it's been all Max P since. It does happen.

Last edited:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Because the gap has been closing.

2014/15
Sanheim .97 PPG
Provy 1.02 PPG
Provy by .05

2015/16
Sanheim 1.31
Provy 1.18
Sanheim by .13

If someone thinks Sanheim still has more growth potential than Provy, then you can see why.

Sam Gagner was better than Max P until age 23 where it's been all Max P since. It does happen.

do you really think Sanheim closed the gap in a year where Provorov was named the best defenseman in Canadian Junior Hockey?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Look at it this way, I think there is an excellent chance that Provorov can be a #1 Dman in the NHL. If, and its a huge if, but if Sanheim even equals him, this defense would be friggin ridiculous.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You don't have to believe Sanheim could be better than Provorov someday, but the GM recently said that Travis is probably 4 years away from his physical peak. Do you think Provorov is 4 years away from his physical peak? Sanheim has a lot of room to improve. That makes him a riskier prospect than Provorov for sure, but a 20 year old defenseman with things to work on isn't always a bad thing. Especially when he's 6'4 and has the offensive resume that he has to this point in his career.

In comparison to forwards, defensemen develop at much different rates than forwards. That's why you find #1 D outside of the 1st round, yet not many #1 centers are taken outside of the top 15 picks, let alone the first round. If you look at some old threads of NHL players you will see posts of people talking in absolutes about teenage hockey players only to come back and look silly. Shea Weber wasn't supposed to crack the 1st pair in Nashville because they had Ryan Suter and Kevin Klein. :facepalm:

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
Provorov has all the tools - work ethic, confidence and 'bro' type of personality. Also, he is a smart kid and obviously highly adaptable. The days of enigmatic Russians are gone. Younger guys (Panarin, Kunetsov, Tarasenko, Kucherov) and the kids (Sergachev, Provorov etc) are indistinguishable from their North American peers other then their language skills. Wouldn't be shocked if 5 years down the road Provorov is wearing the C.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Provorov has all the tools - work ethic, confidence and 'bro' type of personality. Also, he is a smart kid and obviously highly adaptable. The days of enigmatic Russians are gone. Younger guys (Panarin, Kunetsov, Tarasenko, Kucherov) and the kids (Sergachev, Provorov etc) are indistinguishable from their North American peers other then their language skills. Wouldn't be shocked if 5 years down the road Provorov is wearing the C.

Giroux would be. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad