Next Flyers Captain

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
An interesting thread idea on the main board about who is next in line to be your teams captain.
Who takes over from Claude? I would imagine it would be someone not yet in the lineup. Proverov, Konecny, Sanheim, someone traded for?? Who do you think?

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Couturier or Ghost could be worthy in the near future [~2-3 years], but it's Giroux's patch until he is no longer with the team.

It's near impossible to say without knowing what goes on in the locker room, though.

Last edited:

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Giroux is going to be captain only for 3 more years? Nobody is going to take it away from Giroux at least until his contract expires if nothing major happens. That being said, I have really no idea, maybe Provorov, maybe Konecny, maybe Morin.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Giroux is going to be captain only for 3 more years? Nobody is going to take it away from Giroux at least until his contract expires if nothing major happens. That being said, I have really no idea, maybe Provorov, maybe Konecny, maybe Morin.

I just meant that they might be worthy candidates within that time span if something unthinkable were to happen to Giroux. Barring something catastrophic, it's his patch until he retires.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Nobody strips captaincy from Giroux. As long as he plays hockey in an orange sweater he will wear the C.

Difficult to tell how the roster will look like or who would be worthy in 5-10 years.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Nobody strips captaincy from Giroux. As long as he plays hockey in an orange sweater he will wear the C.

Difficult to tell how the roster will look like or who would be worthy in 5-10 years.

Agreed, he is a leader. Not talking about stripping leadership from him. But as he took over from Richards who takes over from him when the time comes??

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'd predict Gostisbehere would be next in line, but I don't anticipate that being any time soon.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Giroux obviously wears it as long as he plays for this team, but after that:

Don't get me wrong but I don't see Ghost as a captain like some of you do. I think what captains usually have in common is their known ability to succeed (be great) in both sides of the rink and being some kind of motivating voice off-the ice. I could be wrong but this is just my opinion.

Couturier could be the thing in the future. Or Konecny, he's known for his great leadership I think. Or Provorov, or Morin. Ghost could be one, never know.

We'll see in the future.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Obviously Giroux will have it for quite a while, but I could easily see Morin ending up with an A eventually. To a man, the org seems to have nothing but heaping praise for his attitude.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Perhaps the easier way to answer this question is "Who gets the second A after Streit moves on?"

My inclination would be to choose a C from the current As, and then move someone up, rather than name a C who didn't have a letter, so if the unthinkable happened to Claude before this year, the C would probably go to Simmonds.

Longer term, I think Couturier gets the second A when Streit moves on, unless they want a defenseman to have an A. If that's the case, it's probably Del Zotto if it happens soon, and perhaps Provorov or Morin if it's further down the line.

Our next C is probably either Couturier or a player not currently on the NHL roster. Given the hopefully long timeline for that, I'm going off the board and saying Rubtsov.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Perhaps the easier way to answer this question is "Who gets the second A after Streit moves on?"

My inclination would be to choose a C from the current As, and then move someone up, rather than name a C who didn't have a letter, so if the unthinkable happened to Claude before this year, the C would probably go to Simmonds.

Longer term, I think Couturier gets the second A when Streit moves on, unless they want a defenseman to have an A. If that's the case, it's probably Del Zotto if it happens soon, and perhaps Provorov or Morin if it's further down the line.

Our next C is probably either Couturier or a player not currently on the NHL roster. Given the hopefully long timeline for that, I'm going off the board and saying Rubtsov.

When Striet's gone the A will likely go to Voracek.

Pretty sure he's worn it before whenever there's been injuries.

Can't imagine Couts wearing an A. Love him as a player but doesn't seem like the leadership type to me.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Ghost and Konecny are probably the leading candidates for future captain, but most likely that will be a ways down the line.

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012
If Giroux got traded today, Wayne Simmonds would be my captain. Can't speak for the future.

Newest sens fan

My uncle owns Nintendo 64
Feb 13, 2014
Connecticut
I agree if it was today, for sure Simmonds. Future I'd go with Ghost at the moment, he shows intensity and frustration much like G does. Thats my preference in captains though, the fiesty ones rather than calm ones.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
When Striet's gone the A will likely go to Voracek.

Pretty sure he's worn it before whenever there's been injuries.

Can't imagine Couts wearing an A. Love him as a player but doesn't seem like the leadership type to me.

That would give 3 forwards all of the letters, with two likely on the same line. I think they choose a defenseman to balance it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad