Speculation: Next Flyer to Reach 100 Points in a Season.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Only five Flyers players over the decades have reached the magical 100 point season... and that 100 points mark has been reached eight times among those five players (Clarke-3, Recchi-2, Lindros-1, Barber-1, Macleish-1)

The closest any current Flyers player has gotten to it was Jeff Carter in over games during the 2008-09 Season.

1 Mark Recchi 123
2 Bobby Clarke 119
3 Bobby Clarke 116
4 Eric Lindros 115
5 Bill Barber 112
6 Mark Recchi 107
7 Bobby Clarke 104
8 Richard Macleish 100
38 Jeff Carter 84 (2008-09)

Who will be the next Flyers player to reach that milestone in one season?... Is he currently on the Roster or even the Organization?... When do you suppose he will do it?

Please vote for one selection and post your reasoning and targeted season.

Reactions: FlyersMania2

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Ever is a very long time, but if the makeup of the team (not the players themselves but the general makeup of the team) stays the way it is now, I don't see it happening - the lines are too balanced and the scoring is spread around too much.

I don't have a problem with that, and someone could get really hot (JVR and Carter are the closest of the current lot) and come close, but I wouldn't put money on it.

I'd sooner see 4-6 players at 70-80 points than one at 100 and the rest at 40.

KimiFerrari

Messi Is God
Oct 29, 2007
Montreal, Qc
Unless we go back to 2 scoring lines, then it wont happen.

I could see any of Richards, Carter or Giroux doing it in a career year.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I voted for Giroux and I believe it will be done first in the 2012-13 Season.

Roo has a great vision of the ice and seems to know ahead of time where the players will be and has a sweet touch in his passes... He also has good moves and speed and is imaginative in those move, not being afraid to take prudent chances... Add to that he has a good shot and has proven that he can score a good number of goals in a season if this partial season is any indication... I only expect his play to improve, barring major injury(s).

mm6492

Dec 9, 2007
The way we play now, none, as it won't be done with this kind of balance.

jb**

Think Gustaffson has a chance in the coming years. If they somehow reacquire Maroon, then look out.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Ever is a very long time, but if the makeup of the team (not the players themselves but the general makeup of the team) stays the way it is now, I don't see it happening - the lines are too balanced and the scoring is spread around too much.

I don't have a problem with that, and someone could get really hot (JVR and Carter are the closest of the current lot) and come close, but I wouldn't put money on it.

I'd sooner see 4-6 players at 70-80 points than one at 100 and the rest at 40.

I thought of that also... This is a team oriented Organization as opposed to one that lives on superstars. That said thought, I just believe Giroux is that special a player and will eventually be a Mini-Foppa Lite who will rack up the Assists while potting a fair share of goals of his own.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Someone not yet in the organization. I don't think people here realize how hard it is to reach 100 points in the modern day.

In 07-08 only two players got 100 points. Those two players were Ovechkin and Malkin and they both played all 82 games.

In 08-09 only three players got 100 points and those three were the big three of Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin. The lowest GP total was 77.

In 09-10 only four players got 100 points and three of those four played at least 81 games. Two of those four were Crosby and Ovechkin.

This season there looks to be only three or four players tops to make 100 points. Crosby and Sedin look to be on pace for over 100 points again.

So, in the last three season, 100 points has been broken only nine times and seven of those nine times were from the same three players (Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin). This season two of the three or four people on pace for 100 points also got 100 points last season.

To get 100 points you have to not only have a healthy season, but you have to be an elite talent with the likes of Crosby, Sedin, Malkin, Ovechkin, Backstrom, etc. We don't have anyone like that in our organization and, to be completely frank, I find it laughable that people do think we have someone of that caliber in our organization.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Since someone already broke out Erik Gustafsson for me, I'm going to vote for Garrett Klotz. That man is having a career year in the CHL. It's only a matter of time.

Really though, until the Flyers change their philosophy entirely, no Flyer will hit 100 points.

SeanVT395

It's Not Even Close
May 15, 2010
Vermont
I'm willing to bet money it will never happen again, unless the Flyers orginization changes it's philosophy or the league makes major changes (i.e. 05-06 season) again.

I hope fans of other teams don't read this thread, people banking on JvR, Giroux and Richards for 100 points sometime in their career?

let's be reality

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I'm willing to bet money it will never happen again, unless the Flyers orginization changes it's philosophy or the league makes major changes (i.e. 05-06 season) again.

I hope fans of other teams don't read this thread, people banking on JvR, Giroux and Richards for 100 points sometime in their career?

let's be reality

Seriously. 12 people voted for Giroux already.

Bryz4shiz

Feb 10, 2009
Alhoa Oe
Rinaldo's gonna turn into the best power forward of all time. Eclipsing 92 goals on a regular basis.

That or we acquire Stamkos at the deadline this year for Shelley and a pick and he breaks 100 points on the season.

KimiFerrari

Messi Is God
Oct 29, 2007
Montreal, Qc
Someone not yet in the organization. I don't think people here realize how hard it is to reach 100 points in the modern day.

In 07-08 only two players got 100 points. Those two players were Ovechkin and Malkin and they both played all 82 games.

In 08-09 only three players got 100 points and those three were the big three of Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin. The lowest GP total was 77.

In 09-10 only four players got 100 points and three of those four played at least 81 games. Two of those four were Crosby and Ovechkin.

This season there looks to be only three or four players tops to make 100 points. Crosby and Sedin look to be on pace for over 100 points again.

So, in the last three season, 100 points has been broken only nine times and seven of those nine times were from the same three players (Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin). This season two of the three or four people on pace for 100 points also got 100 points last season.

To get 100 points you have to not only have a healthy season, but you have to be an elite talent with the likes of Crosby, Sedin, Malkin, Ovechkin, Backstrom, etc. We don't have anyone like that in our organization and, to be completely frank, I find it laughable that people do think we have someone of that caliber in our organization.

05-06: 7 players; Thorton, Jagr, Ovetchkin, Heatly, Aldferson, Crosby and Staal. Also Kovalchuk missed by 2 pts and missed a few games, with some others in mid 90's

06-07: 7 players; Thorton, Crosby, Lecavalier, Heatly, St Louis, Hossa and Sakic. Also a few mid 90s.

Chris Pronger

Valar morghulis
Jan 20, 2011
Canada
Maybe Giroux...like you guys said we have a balanced team and we don’t count on only 1-2 players to score goals... (Like the pens...)

Terence Peterman

Sep 17, 2007
If Giroux ever hit 100 points he'd need a super sniper next to him. He doesn't have the shot to help pace him that high over a full season.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
We don't have a 100 point player on our team right now. So I voted accordingly.

Definitely. Giroux is talented, but he's a 70ish point guy, 80s in a really good year (same with Richards) type of player.

If Giroux ever hit 100 points he'd need a super sniper next to him. He doesn't have the shot to help pace him that high over a full season.

Yeah, if Carter could dish he'd be the guy on this squad with a real chance. Briere has shown he can get up to that pace, but that was right after the lockout when the rules were completely wide open, which really catered to his game.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Carter has already had 84 over 82 games which is better than a point per game... To score 100 points over a season a player has to score at just a hair under a 1.22 point per game pace. Carter would have had to score just two points more every 10 games to hit 100 that season... and prior to his freak break last season he was on an iron man streak, IIRC, and 82 games was/is not that big a deal for some players... Giroux has been a sturdy player, as has others.

It must be remembered that the NHL is not a static league and all sorts of paces and trends fluctuate... and at times on a pretty huge swing. Long before the New NHL came about circumstances swung where the huge scoring seasons and Gretzky's 92 goal and 200+ point seasons went far away... There is no way we can be certain that circumstances won't arise where scoring rises a bit again -- probably never to that extent though -- point being we don't know what is ahead.

All that said... it is still not impossible that a Flyers player won't emerge as a 1.22 PPG type player... and again, I believe Giroux has the God given talent to excel, and maybe enough to crack the 100 point per season mark in a couple of years. Although I have to agree that it is not quite as easy to do on the Flyers as it would be on other teams... We will see.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Carter has already had 84 over 82 games which is better than a point per game... To score 100 points over a season a player has to score at just a hair under a 1.22 point per game pace. Carter would have had to score just two points more every 10 games to hit 100 that season... and prior to his freak break last season he was on an iron man streak, IIRC, and 82 games was/is not that big a deal for some players... Giroux has been a sturdy player, as has others.

Carter doesn't get enough assists to have a legit shot at 100 pts. He would have to have a 50+ goal season... and also be racking up career highs in assists to have any chance. It's just not going to happen for him.

Giroux is probably never going to score enough goals.

It must be remembered that the NHL is not a static league and all sorts of paces and trends fluctuate... and at times on a pretty huge swing. Long before the New NHL came about circumstances swung where the huge scoring seasons and Gretzky's 92 goal and 200+ point seasons went far away... There is no way we can be certain that circumstances won't arise where scoring rises a bit again -- probably never to that extent though -- point being we don't know what is ahead.

Ah, yeah, back then the coaching in the league sucked.... and the goalies were taking up about half the net that they are these days. As coaching improved, and goalies became more athletic... goal scoring plummeted. Sure, people weren't necessarily expecting that, but it wasn't shocking that it happened in retrospect. Just like goal scoring jumping up right out of the lockout was predictable... just as the adjustment that followed was equally predictable (unfortunately -- officiating has slacked off considerably since the first year out of the reboot).

All that said... it is still not impossible that a Flyers player won't emerge as a 1.22 PPG type player... and again, I believe Giroux has the God given talent to excel, and maybe enough to crack the 100 point per season mark in a couple of years. Although I have to agree that it is not quite as easy to do on the Flyers as it would be on other teams... We will see.

Nothing is impossible, but we don't got anyone on our roster that is likely to pop for 1.22 PPG a year. Giroux would need something like a 40-60 split... and as we've seen this year, it's tough for him to maintain that type of goal scoring pace, let alone finding the assists.

We don't have anyone that is a 100 pt talent on this team right now. A lot of very good offensive players, but no one is in the elite class of the guys that can pull it off.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Carter doesn't get enough assists to have a legit shot at 100 pts. He would have to have a 50+ goal season... and also be racking up career highs in assists to have any chance. It's just not going to happen for him.

I used Carter more as an example about how many more points he would have to have that season to hit 100... I agree that it would be tough for him... UNLESS he gets a high scoring line-mate.

Giroux is probably never going to score enough goals.

The opposite of Carter where it would help to have a gunner line-mate... Actually a hot Carter/Giroux/? line could help them both get up there... and I really see great things ahead for Giroux; I see a special player. Remember he is very young and has a long maturation period to hit his peak... A couple years may prove that he is exceptional, or it might bring him down with the pack... I see the former.

Ah, yeah, back then the coaching in the league sucked.... and the goalies were taking up about half the net that they are these days. As coaching improved, and goalies became more athletic... goal scoring plummeted. Sure, people weren't necessarily expecting that, but it wasn't shocking that it happened in retrospect. Just like goal scoring jumping up right out of the lockout was predictable... just as the adjustment that followed was equally predictable (unfortunately -- officiating has slacked off considerably since the first year out of the reboot).

My point was that things change and while not as great, scoring and 100+ point seasons may increase.

Nothing is impossible, but we don't got anyone on our roster that is likely to pop for 1.22 PPG a year. Giroux would need something like a 40-60 split... and as we've seen this year, it's tough for him to maintain that type of goal scoring pace, let alone finding the assists.

Again, Giroux is still a young player and only in his second full season... He has made strides this season and may make greater ones ahead... As stated he needs a snipe line-mate and a player to feed off of -- and visa versa -- If he gets 100+ he will have a winger that will have a high output season also... And we don't know who may be obtained or developed in the Organization down the line to compliment him.

We don't have anyone that is a 100 pt talent on this team right now. A lot of very good offensive players, but no one is in the elite class of the guys that can pull it off.

But the Flyers do have a lot of very good players on the early stages of their careers... and the NHL could open up offensively as well.

This being all speculative, it is fun to discuss but no one can say what and who is right or wrong... I thought it would be interesting to read what people thought and see what a poll would report.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
...Giroux isn't that young. He's 23 right now. Recchi, for example, had 3 100 pt seasons in the NHL... when he was 22, 24, and 25 y/o.

I think Giroux is going to have a very productive career, but in more of the Scott Gomez arc than what you're suggesting is possible. There are examples of guys that take longer to get to that threshold (like the Sedins), but if you look at 100 point players listed above.

Thornton 23
Ovechkin 20
Crosby 18
Jagr 23
Heatley 25
Malkin 21
Lecavalier 26
St Louis 31
Hossa 28
Sakic 20
Alfredsson 33
Staal 21

So, 7 of those 12 guys got to 100 when they were Giroux's age or younger. You have a guy like Alfredsson who took advantage of the silly first year out of the lockout. Hossa and Lecavalier are both bigger guys, who tend to develop a bit slower... also better goal scorers than Giroux. None of this meant to be a slight to Giroux... just a reality check on using his age too much to his benefit in this type of discussion. Elite scorers start young in the NHL, and small guys tend to develop much faster than bigger guys.

Reactions: FlyTimmo

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
05-06: 7 players; Thorton, Jagr, Ovetchkin, Heatly, Aldferson, Crosby and Staal. Also Kovalchuk missed by 2 pts and missed a few games, with some others in mid 90's

06-07: 7 players; Thorton, Crosby, Lecavalier, Heatly, St Louis, Hossa and Sakic. Also a few mid 90s.

05-06 was a whacky year for scoring all around due to players taking advantage of the lockout year that preceded it. Even ignoring that fact, Giroux isn't up there with any of those players. No one in our organization is.

Unless you actually do think that we do have anyone in our organization up to the level of these kinds of players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad