Speculation: Next Flyer to Reach 100 Points in a Season.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It really didn't hit me until somewhat recently about how pessimistic you actually are. :laugh:

Looked back through this whole thread, figuring that I embarrassed myself in the initial iteration of this thread. Only posted twice, once to pick someone not on the roster as the next 100 point scorer, and once to temper Jake's breakout year. Not as bad as I thought.

A lot of ghosts of HF past in this thread.

I definitely don't miss the Jester and Spongolium banter :laugh: , but there was a good crew here not so long ago that has left and didn't return.

75-85 points isn't really pessimistic. I was trying to be realistic. Giroux just never hit the mini-slump that Jake it. I'm very rarely pessimistic when it comes to individual players that have earned my loyalty like Giroux.

Reactions: Jtown

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Giroux was robbed. He should be at 99

It was both obvious and wrong by the On-Ice Official... but the Flyers petitioned the League and after an initial refusal, it was finally corrected... He officially now is at 99 Points.

I'd say it is very doable at this point.

As many of us pointed out earlier in this Thread, in today's NHL it is rare for a Player to get 100 Points in a Season... and only one or two achieve such each Season... which only highlights just how great G has been this Season... the Hart Voters have to take this into account... plus the fact that the Flyers wouldn't be close to the PostSeason without Giroux. He is a definitive MVP Candidate... to ignore that is just so very wrong.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It was both obvious and wrong by the On-Ice Official... but the Flyers petitioned the League and after an initial refusal, it was finally corrected... He officially now is at 99 Points.

I'd say it is very doable at this point.

As many of us pointed out earlier in this Thread, in today's NHL it is rare for a Player to get 100 Points in a Season... and only one or two achieve such each Season... which only highlights just how great G has been this Season... the Hart Voters have to take this into account... plus the fact that the Flyers wouldn't be close to the PostSeason without Giroux. He is a definitive MVP Candidate... to ignore that is just so very wrong.
Yeah I said like a month ago if he can reach 100 points I think he gets real consideration. Unfortunately, I think that Taylor Hall is undeservedly going to get it. Lot of buzz around him and the Devs weren't really supposed to make a lot of noise this season. Even though he is far behind the Art Ross race I think he gets the Hart Trophy because voters are dimwits and numbskulls. It will be Hall, Kucherov, McDavid, Giroux. Book it.

Reactions: Sawdalite

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Giroux’s been phenomenal but if the MVP goes to the player most valuable to his team, it should be Hall. Hall is carrying the Devils offensively by himself.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Yeah I said like a month ago if he can reach 100 points I think he gets real consideration. Unfortunately, I think that Taylor Hall is undeservedly going to get it. Lot of buzz around him and the Devs weren't really supposed to make a lot of noise this season. Even though he is far behind the Art Ross race I think he gets the Hart Trophy because voters are dimwits and numbskulls. It will be Hall, Kucherov, McDavid, Giroux. Book it.
i think they split the difference between mc jesus top scorer on bad team and hall not top scorer in league on playoff team and give it to g one of the top 2 or 3 scorers and on a playoff team (if they get in). also kucherov is not the main reason tb is going to the playoffs like hall and g (if they get in)

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Giroux’s been phenomenal but if the MVP goes to the player most valuable to his team, it should be Hall. Hall is carrying the Devils offensively by himself.

While I have to agree with the reasoning... I must point out that that guideline has for just about eternity been flatly ignored as the Players who put up monster numbers... it is rare for a Player who is on a Team out of the POs by a good amount to be considered, but McDavid is the frontrunner because IMO he has so many points at his young age... more than being the best of a flawed Roster.

So, Hall should take the Hart but McDavid probably does... based on historical selections.

Selke should be pure defense, but offense of late decides it... and Norris should be pure defense also, but the Offensive D-man always gets it...

By these reasonings Giroux would have a great shot baded on his elevating his Team to the PostSeason with monster offensive Season... but just watch them go against the recent grain and hold to the original standard and go with the Player arguably most important to his Team, with Hall... or go with the highest scorer, even if he couldn't take his Team to the POs, with McDavid.

With Giroux IMO you have the best of ALL worlds... a high scorer who is most valuable to his Team... and led them to the PostSeason.

I rest my case... and expect to be disappointed in the end.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I don't really get this. Devils have scored 1 less goals than Flyers. Yes there is no one close to Hall but it's not like they don't score without him.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Connor McDavid leads the NHL with 83 even strength points.

Claude Giroux is second.... with 64.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't really get this. Devils have scored 1 less goals than Flyers. Yes there is no one close to Hall but it's not like they don't score without him.

I think @Tripod posted this yesterday but:

Hall has 39 goals. The next two players on the team combined (Nico and Palmierei) have 43....combined.
Hall has 93 Points. The next two players on the team combined (you guessed it, Nico and Palmierei), have 95...combined.

We'd be a wreck without Giroux for sure, but Devils would be fighting with Buffalo right now if they didnt have Hall. He gets no support.

Reactions: SnS

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
hakstol-fist-pump.gif

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
A couple years ago I thought it would be too little too late for Giroux to get 100, glad I was wrong. Couldn't be happier for him.

SeanVT395

It's Not Even Close
May 15, 2010
Vermont
I'm willing to bet money it will never happen again, unless the Flyers orginization changes it's philosophy or the league makes major changes (i.e. 05-06 season) again.

I hope fans of other teams don't read this thread, people banking on JvR, Giroux and Richards for 100 points sometime in their career?

let's be reality

how young and naive I was...

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I will always remember this thread for how adamant, and of course condescending, Jester was about Giroux not having enough talent to hit 100, not being young at 23 etc and then the next season he paced for 100.:laugh:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
This was originally a Poll... during the migration all the votes were lost... This is a shout out for all those who voted and supported Giroux.

When it started the scoring was just about to tail off to where the NHL was lucky to get more than one Player who reached it each Season... and more than two was rare air... As the discussions progressed it seemed that any Flyer reaching 100 Points was a real long shot.

Giroux accomplished the feat in an upyear where it appears there will be three who did... it is still IMO a great accomplishment.

CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR CAPTAIN... MAY THIS JUST BE THE FIRST OF MORE TO COME.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad