Speculation: Next captain?

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
A-Campbell
A-Bolland
A-Mitchell

if we can have a 4th A (not sure how the rule works) then Gudbranson or Upshall.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Weiss was awful for one season. He is a good two way player. He actually wanted to stay in Florida. Not many players do.

As bad as Weiss was for us during his last season here, he was even worse for Detroit last year.

I loved Weiss while he was here, but we may have dodged a bullet by not offering him a contract. His career may be over with all the wrist injuries he has suffered.

He absolutely needs to rebound this year in a big way. If he doesn't, it could be all she wrote for Weiss as an impact player in this league.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Weiss was awful for one season. He is a good two way player. He actually wanted to stay in Florida. Not many players do.
Except he didn't. All the talk about only playing for one team during his career escaped his mind as soon as Detroit dumped a truckload of money on his doorstep.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Except he didn't. All the talk about only playing for one team during his career escaped his mind as soon as Detroit dumped a truckload of money on his doorstep.

Well, we didn't offer him a contract, probably due to the selling of the team, and Detroit offered him 25+ million.

I'm glad we didn't re-sign him, just because I thought he was on the decline, but I can't question his loyalty when the Panthers didn't offer him anything.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

He sure did! As ShootIt just said, hard to blame for him taking ANY amount of money compared to NO money.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Well, we didn't offer him a contract, probably due to the selling of the team, and Detroit offered him 25+ million.

I'm glad we didn't re-sign him, just because I thought he was on the decline, but I can't question his loyalty when the Panthers didn't offer him anything.

He sure did! As ShootIt just said, hard to blame for him taking ANY amount of money compared to NO money.
Is there actual proof to this, other than putting 1+1 together (cheap ownership and drafting Barkov)?

Because I recall the debacle starting from the 2012 offseason (when Weiss became eligible to re-sign a new contract) and leading up to his last game as a Panther, about his reasons why he didn't want to discuss a new contract at the time.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Is there actual proof to this, other than putting 1+1 together (cheap ownership and drafting Barkov)?

Because I recall the debacle starting from the 2012 offseason (when Weiss became eligible to re-sign a new contract) and leading up to his last game as a Panther, about his reasons why he didn't want to discuss a new contract at the time.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-12-06/sports/fl-florida-panthers-news-1207-20131206_1_panthers-shawn-matthias-slow-start-groin-injury

But when the Panthers didn't even offer a new contract to to their franchise leader in games played and assists last summer, it was an easy decision for the Toronto native to accept a five-year, $24.5 million deal to join the iconic Detroit Red Wings, who have reached the playoffs in 22 straight seasons.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida

IIRC reports were there never was a single offer to Weiss. Id have to research it but I remember we flushed it out before. 85% sure.

Not sure if we ever were told why no offer was made, whether verbal demands were to high, or Viner's empire had begun to fall.

Edit, nvm Shootit did the homework... so my recollection is supported.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
They probably saw what was happening to him and walked away. I love Weiss, have since we drafted him and am thankful for everything he did and had to put up with when it came to this team. I hope he can recover and help Detroit into the playoffs the remainder of his career, but I don't have an issue parting ways with him. May have just been the sale, we spent very little last offseason.

CoolburnIsGone

Whether he would have stayed if an offer was made, is a thing we'll never know though.

One could argue that since Weiss didn't re-sign right after 2012 July 1st (like all the franchise players that want to stay do), he was keeping his options open and looking elsewhere.
Thats hard to argue when it was mostly out of his control if the franchise didnt extend an offer. No matter what the reasoning for it, he just could not re-sign with the team if he didnt have a contract to sign, even if he wanted to stay.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Thats hard to argue when it was mostly out of his control if the franchise didnt extend an offer. No matter what the reasoning for it, he just could not re-sign with the team if he didnt have a contract to sign, even if he wanted to stay.
Tallon was vocal about re-signing him in 2012 and early 2013, but I recall Weiss saying that he didn't want to negotiate when the season was on.

CoolburnIsGone

Tallon was vocal about re-signing him in 2012 and early 2013, but I recall Weiss saying that he didn't want to negotiate when the season was on.
Which is extremely common too. Guys like Getzlaf & Perry didnt want to negotiate during the season either (both signed deals near/at the end of the season IIRC). I'm sure Weiss' agent also had something to do with wanting to wait to negotiate too seeing as how another strong season would drive up his price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad