Speculation: Next Canucks GM

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I am personally fine with him too. He's made some awesome draft choices with our later picks and recently some very good trades.

Please be specific: I'd like to know which _late_ draft choices could be described as "awesome", and which trades have been "very good"?

As to this thread: Benning has to be fired first. All speculation about a replacement is directly tied to the timing of when that happens.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Please be specific: I'd like to know which _late_ draft choices could be described as "awesome", and which trades have been "very good"?

As to this thread: Benning has to be fired first. All speculation about a replacement is directly tied to the timing of when that happens.

You have to remember that life is a video game

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Loose term around here.

2014 2nd round pick. Thather Demko. With that pick it really feels like we drafted a future starter. Numbers better then Schneider wins the Mike Richter award (Their best goalie of the year award)

2014 3rd rounder. Took a risk on Trymakin who I think is a bondifed NHL player, some thinks he's a future top pairing, I think its one hell of a 3rd rounder if you ask me. What he brings and what he can do, right now, and what he can potentially do.

2014 5th rounder. Although not our player anymore the Forling pick was a solid pick for such a late pick. Already played half the season with a strong Chicago team.

2015 1st rounder. Brock Boeser was a Hobey Baker runner up last year. NCAA all rookie team and made the 3 stars this year. Playing better then 15 players drafted ahead of him, INCLUDING the 3rd overall pick, Dylan Strome.

2015 3rd rounder. Guillaume brisebois, was one of the finalist for defencemen of the year award this year in the QMJHL. Lost out to worthy dman Thomas Chabot. Another strong performance by a later pick.

2015 5th rounder. Adam Guaddette posts insane numbers as a 19/20 year old. Another solid pick for a later pick. Posting numbers future top 6 players will post.

2016 3rd rounder. William Lockwood, who Button and McQuire have been raving about, wins MVP for his team award, and a nominee for the Hobey Baker award.

Maybe a little exaggerated when I say later picks, I actually mean making good picks outside of a teams 1st rounder. He's made some solid picks. Also I think he's made some very good trades.

I don't ever recall being excited about our prospects during the Gillis era.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I am surprised that Dubas is running away with this with Gilman a clear 2nd. I mean what's so good about Gilman besides his cap management prowess? Was he the GM of a winning AHL team? No. But Dubas and Brisebois at least has that on the resume.

Speaking of running an AHL team, Brisebois is far more accomplished. He also has a law degree and MBA and is responsible for analytic work for the Lightning. As an AGM, Brisbois' teams have been largely winners both in the AHL and in the NHL. If you're looking for a "young brilliant mind" type Brisebois should be on top of the list.

In the Jim Nill category there's Fenton. I think Futa has lost his lustre and why hire Futa when you can hire Lombardi instead?

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
Then you have a short memory. People were just as excited for Kevin Connauton, Cole Cassels, Jordan Schroeder, and even Alex Friesen for awhile as they are now for Lockwood, Gaudette, and Brisebois.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Loose term around here.

2014 2nd round pick. Thather Demko. With that pick it really feels like we drafted a future starter. Numbers better then Schneider wins the Mike Richter award (Their best goalie of the year award)

2014 3rd rounder. Took a risk on Trymakin who I think is a bondifed NHL player, some thinks he's a future top pairing, I think its one hell of a 3rd rounder if you ask me. What he brings and what he can do, right now, and what he can potentially do.

2014 5th rounder. Although not our player anymore the Forling pick was a solid pick for such a late pick. Already played half the season with a strong Chicago team.

2015 1st rounder. Brock Boeser was a Hobey Baker runner up last year. NCAA all rookie team and made the 3 stars this year. Playing better then 15 players drafted ahead of him, INCLUDING the 3rd overall pick, Dylan Strome.

2015 3rd rounder. Guillaume brisebois, was one of the finalist for defencemen of the year award this year in the QMJHL. Lost out to worthy dman Thomas Chabot. Another strong performance by a later pick.

2015 5th rounder. Adam Guaddette posts insane numbers as a 19/20 year old. Another solid pick for a later pick. Posting numbers future top 6 players will post.

2016 3rd rounder. William Lockwood, who Button and McQuire have been raving about, wins MVP for his team award, and a nominee for the Hobey Baker award.

Maybe a little exaggerated when I say later picks, I actually mean making good picks outside of a teams 1st rounder. He's made some solid picks. Also I think he's made some very good trades.

Out of all his draft choices in the then 4 years, there is probably one (Boeser) maybe 2 (Juolevi) on the team in October. And even Juolevi might be more forced than earned. Every single team in the NHL has these kinds of prospects, most teams probably way more. I am not saying these guys are bust or anything but there is a difference between looking good in junior/College and translating that into the pro game.

Also (and that not specifically for you only) but why is it so damn hard to spell the prospect names if they are so awesome? There seem to be several people guilty of it, strangly enough mainly poster who hype the prospects a lot.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Loose term around here.

Everyone does this. Players look good before they get to the pros. Big whoop.

Until Brisebois, Gaudette and Lockwood perform in professional hockey they aren't awesome picks.

Also, by saying Forsling is an awesome pick you show that Benning is a **** trader.

Plus Benning ****ed up the Virtanen and Juolevi picks so I wouldn't say he's an amazing drafter. If we had Tkachuk and Nylander on our team right now then I'd give him that.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Then you have a short memory. People were just as excited for Kevin Connauton, Cole Cassels, Jordan Schroeder, and even Alex Friesen for awhile as they are now for Lockwood, Gaudette, and Brisebois.

This is exactly the case. We just rinse and repeat and treat the recently (last 2-3 years) drafted players as great shining pillars of hope.

Hell people were excited for Yann Sauve because there was once a Sauve vs Doughty thread that was like 45 pages long on the Prospects Forum. Cassels was the next Canucks' 2nd line center after winning the Memorial Cup and shutting down McDavid.

This is the same blind optimism and self-justification to make the situation fell less hopeless than it actually is.

Him blowing 2 Top 6 picks FAR FAR FAR outweights him making some good "on paper" selections who are still early in their development and aren't even playing professional hockey.

Commending him for making 1 good trade (Dahlen) and 1 mediocre one (Goldobin) and totally excusing his massive list of just astoundingly bad trades that have seriously set this franchise back is just idiotic at this point.

How posters can defend Benning is completely beyond me. It's like they've never managed a bad employee before.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Loose term around here.

Give me a break, Gillis built a team that was one win away from the cup.

Benning built a team that is, and will likely remain, the laughing stock of the league.

Besides, what if anything have these players done in NHL aside from BB?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Give me a break, Gillis built a team that was one win away from the cup.

Benning built a team that is, and will likely remain, the laughing stock of the league.

Besides, what if anything have these players done in NHL aside from BB?

Not to throw shade on bashing Jimbo but out of the three GMs that were responsible for our 2011 SC run, Gillis had arguably the least amount of influence but mainly due to bad luck (Sammy's abductor tendon and sports hernia surgery and Manny's horrific eye injury).

[fieldset=2011 Canucks Team]
[collapse=1]
gu03GGn.png

[/collapse]
[/fieldset]

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
Not to throw shade on bashing Jimbo but out of the three GMs that were responsible for our 2011 SC run, Gillis had arguably the least amount of influence but mainly due to bad luck (Sammy's abductor tendon and sports hernia surgery and Manny's horrific eye injury).
I think that's too simplified a way of looking at it. For one thing, that's the same for every team - GMs select which players to keep and which to jettison from a previous regime. And anyway, there's more to it than just drafting good players. Burke may have drafted the Sedins, but who instilled a professional atmosphere in the organisation, found the right supporting players to create a winning team, etc?

Gillis deserves the majority of the credit for the 2011 team, imo.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

[fieldset=2011 Canucks Team]
[collapse=1]
gu03GGn.png

[/collapse]
[/fieldset]

I'm not saying Gillis is the Jesus of GM's, I'm just sick of people saying how much better Benning has done compare with Gillis.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I think that's too simplified a way of looking at it. For one thing, that's the same for every team - GMs select which players to keep and which to jettison from a previous regime. And anyway, there's more to it than just drafting good players. Burke may have drafted the Sedins, but who instilled a professional atmosphere in the organisation, found the right supporting players to create a winning team, etc?

Gillis deserves the majority of the credit for the 2011 team, imo.

For me it's about decision making and impact.

Burkie didn't just get us "good" players, he got us elite players. Three of em in fact.

Professional atmosphere, the right supporting players... that's the easy stuff once you got those elite players to build around.

Since Burkie, how many elite players has this team acquired?

One. Nonis got us Luo in '06.

One out of countless numbers of draft picks, trades and signings.

IMO, Burkie gets the most credit for our 2011 team AINEC.

And besides if not for the Aquilinis, Burkie would probably STILL be the GM of this team.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
For me it's about decision making and impact.

Burkie didn't just get us "good" players, he got us elite players. Three of em in fact.

Professional atmosphere, the right supporting players... that's the easy stuff once you got those elite players to build around.

Since Burkie, how many elite players has this team acquired?

One. Nonis got us Luo in '06.

One out of countless numbers of draft picks, trades and signings.

IMO, Burkie gets the most credit for our 2011 team AINEC.

And besides if not for the Aquilinis, Burkie would probably STILL be the GM of this team.
With Cloutier still as the starting goalie of the team.:sarcasm::naughty:

He inherited the starting goalie in his Cup winning tenure as a GM of the Ducks. It's been his achilles heel everywhere.

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
No. He got us good players. They only developed into 'elite' players later in their careers, well after he was no longer running the team. It is not a guarantee that the Sedins turn into trophy-winning superstars if Burke and/or Nonis are still in charge. They would have ran this team differently, and that would have affected the Sedins' development and output.

Burke gets credit for his wheeling and dealing to land them, but let's not forget the Sedins were considered disappointments for about half their career. It was only under Gillis they turned a corner.

So sucking enough to get high draft picks is the 'hard' part, but changing the organisation's culture, and finding the right complementary players to create the perfect team chemistry (whilst staying under the still-at-the-time-quite-new cap) is the 'easy' part?

It's pretty much the exact opposite of that.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
With Cloutier still as the starting goalie of the team.:sarcasm::naughty:

He inherited the starting goalie in his Cup winning tenure as a GM of the Ducks. It's been his achilles heel everywhere.

Mebbe... mebbe not...

Nonuts was Burkie's AGM remember?

I'm sure Burkie could have smooth talked Iron Mike into doing the deal...

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
A huge part of it is development. That credit goes to Gillis, credit also goes to Gillis for assembling the best TEAM around them. The support players of that team were excellent. Also as you mentioned a few of those huge contributors were also hurt.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
No. He got us good players. They only developed into 'elite' players later in their careers, well after he was no longer running the team. It is not a guarantee that the Sedins turn into trophy-winning superstars if Burke and/or Nonis are still in charge. They would have ran this team differently, and that would have affected the Sedins' development and output.

Burke gets credit for his wheeling and dealing to land them, but let's not forget the Sedins were considered disappointments for about half their career. It was only under Gillis they turned a corner.

So sucking enough to get high draft picks is the 'hard' part, but changing the organisation's culture, and finding the right complementary players to create the perfect team chemistry (whilst staying under the still-at-the-time-quite-new cap) is the 'easy' part?

It's pretty much the exact opposite of that.

What kinda crazy logic are you going on about?

Elite players develop into elite players INDEPENDENT OF THEIR ENVIRONMENT (see John Tavares, see Nate McKinnon, see Eric Lindros).

That's why they're called elite players.
[fieldset=Hank's career]
[collapse=6]
POQribK.png

[/collapse]
[/fieldset]
This is Hank's career. Hank turned a corner in 05-06 after the lock out year.

And then he turned another corner in 09-10 when AV put him with Nonis-acquisition ball hockey all-star, #14 in your program and #1 in your heart, the one and only dragon slayer, AAAAAAAllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeex Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooows.

IE. Gillis had nothing to do with the Sedin's development.

I'm a big Gillis fan because Mike was a thinker and he had a very good money man in Gilman. But to give him the majority of the credit for the 2011 run?

:shakehead

Yeah... I don't see it.

Did the Nonis-era Canucks have a broken culture? I wouldn't classify it as a broken, more like a MEH culture. And who really knows how much power Nonis actually had considering the court battle being fought between FA and Gaglardi/Beedie over ownership of the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad