Newsday: Fourth Line Article

aisle18

Jul 5, 2009
Can anyone name a situation where you think the Filp line exceeds over the Zeek line? Nothing against our "third" line but the way this roster is structured is that all of our lines play like either a traditional second or third line.

We don't have a a high end first that drags the team through wins or a garbage fourth that acts like an anchor and needs to have minutes sheltered. It's why they've been so good on those back-to-backs. No one gets overplayed because we can comfortably roll 4 lines.

I think come playoff time, this structure might really pay dividends with the exhaustion factor. We might even see it play a role in the second half of the season with our record.

Reactions: dood and PWJunior

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think Flip and Leo do a slightly better job on the PK than Zeek and Clutter, and they have also done a really good job of working with their rotating third member.

I know neither is exactly what you mean.

Yes, I've been very impressed with Zeek's play (in particular), and I've been saying for a while that we basically have two third lines.

Reactions: MJF

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Until you have a better cheaper bottom line or can substitute MM & C. Clutterbuck with young players who has proven that they can play that role well consistently you keep them (remember that players can always be waived or traded once stop performing). It will cost the team some money but it can be done. However not all young prospects can come in to this league can play well consistently when not playing with talented stars. Given that Isles in the past did not drafted many players based on their 200 ft plays but only how well they do in the O zone, they need to trade for or draft more players like that in order to have cheap bottom lines. If you go out and acquire these kinds of players in free agency you may need to overpay as teams do not get of rid of good cheap bottom line players. The only exceptions are teams which have recently won or being favourable to win the cup or teams located in a low tax state with a preferable climate. NY Rangers and LA teams always can attract players because a lot of these players are married to models/actresses who would prefer to be closer to cities where they can advance their careers.

The Isles rink issues had slowed down their chances of signing good UFA players who are willing to take discount or a reasonable pay to play for the team. Once the shovels are in the Belmont soil this team will start a new chapter & be able to lure more UFA here for reasonable prices. Other than that, then they have to find these players through drafting. Winning will attract players and financial/location stability (arena wise) certainly will not hurt.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad