Newsday: Fourth Line Article

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Isles' fourth line getting the job done

"They make the right decisions with line changes, puck management, and they give us a physical element,” Trotz said. “I wish sometimes our other lines would learn from that. Our other lines need to get a little more of that to make them effective. They’re a great illustration that strength is in the group, not with the individual.”

Love those words from BT. I'd love to see more physicality from the MDC (although he has stepped that up but I want more), Filp, Bailey, Pulock, Toews, Leddy, Eberle (doubt that ever happens, guy's as soft as carvel ice cream) and even barzal.

Boychuck, the 4th line, komarov, Mayfield, I think have done a great job all year from the physical stand point. Everyone else can step it up.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
They’re a great illustration that strength is in the group, not with the individual.”

upload_2019-1-15_12-18-2.png

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Ya gotta love having the Marts back and the 4th line and team taking a run ...on another note TO Johnny was a minus 4 last night vs the Blues.

Reactions: Quicklime

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Ya gotta love having the Marts back and the 4th line and team taking a run ...on another note TO Johnny was a minus 4 last night vs the Blues.
I never wanted Matt Martin back from Toronto since we already had Ross Johnston, but MM is a different player on the Islanders and our 4th line. The results speak for themselves.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I never wanted Matt Martin back from Toronto since we already had Ross Johnston, but MM is a different player on the Islanders and our 4th line. The results speak for themselves.
I think we were all a bit mixed in that we all have a lot of respect and nostalgia for Matty but didn't quite see his role here going forward. As it turns out, he's been a god send this year.

It must feel great for him to be contributing after being scratched for half the season last year. I'm really happy for him. Happy for us too.....

Reactions: stranger34 and MJF

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
I think we were all a bit mixed in that we all have a lot of respect and nostalgia for Matty but didn't quite see his role here going forward. As it turns out, he's been a god send this year.

It must feel great for him to be contributing after being scratched for half the season last year. I'm really happy for him. Happy for us too.....

He wasn't scratched in Toronto(due to play)..he stood up to Softcock when he was dissing Marner..after that he was on the outs with EGOCOCK. Not playing Marts in the playoffs vs Boston eliminated any chance of winning...That said more problems are coming in TO.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He wasn't scratched in Toronto(due to play)..he stood up to Softcock when he was dissing Marner..after that he was on the outs with EGOCOCK. Not playing Marts in the playoffs vs Boston eliminated any chance of winning...That said more problems are coming in TO.

Is that confirmed anywhere? First I'm hearing of it and would love to read about it.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Isles' fourth line getting the job done

"They make the right decisions with line changes, puck management, and they give us a physical element,” Trotz said. “I wish sometimes our other lines would learn from that. Our other lines need to get a little more of that to make them effective. They’re a great illustration that strength is in the group, not with the individual.”

Love those words from BT. I'd love to see more physicality from the MDC
MDC in the first post about the 4th line. Are you a Leaf fan?
Back on topic, we used to think Martin was the least effective of the MC2 line. Not anymore.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
MDC in the first post about the 4th line. Are you a Leaf fan?
Back on topic, we used to think Martin was the least effective of the MC2 line. Not anymore.

True, we now know clutter is the weak link. Eventually komorav is replacing one of the those wingers.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Funny, no comments on how the fourth line is overpaid. Maybe they are earning what they are, the best fourth line in the NHL

I think they're still overpaid, but they're playing well right now. We have the cap room and they're not preventing us from making other moves. They're great for a team that lacks talent, but once you get more talent, you need them less and less...or at least you should.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I think they're still overpaid, but they're playing well right now. We have the cap room and they're not preventing us from making other moves. They're great for a team that lacks talent, but once you get more talent, you need them less and less...or at least you should.

still digging in your heels? Learn to love the 4th line...

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I mean, you could make the argument that Clutter is signed for too long but for what they bring/are bringing, they're getting paid just fine. Martin's deal for one more year is perfect - we can decide after next year what we want to do and Casey's deal looks pretty damn reasonable right now.

You'd like to see Cal scoring more for what he's getting paid...he'd like to see that as well. He has the ability and we've actually seen him pass and set up some nice goals this year, instead of just shooting the puck at the goalie's chest.

Overall, they're a net positive for a team that's on the cusp of first place in their division. That's a credit to them.

Reactions: stranger34

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I'd agree on Martin and Clutterbuck, but disagree on Cizikas. He scores well for a bottom 6 player (is in the top 180 among all forwards in the league over the past 3.5 seasons for 5 on 5 points), kills penalties well, and can play regularly against opposing teams top lines. That's a very good third line center in my book and worth the 3.5m.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
still digging in your heels? Learn to love the 4th line...

I do like them. Their game is meat and potatoes and that's exactly the type of hockey I like. The type of hockey they play is different from their contract situation is though.

I mean, you could make the argument that Clutter is signed for too long but for what they bring/are bringing, they're getting paid just fine. Martin's deal for one more year is perfect - we can decide after next year what we want to do and Casey's deal looks pretty damn reasonable right now.

You'd like to see Cal scoring more for what he's getting paid...he'd like to see that as well. He has the ability and we've actually seen him pass and set up some nice goals this year, instead of just shooting the puck at the goalie's chest.

Overall, they're a net positive for a team that's on the cusp of first place in their division. That's a credit to them.

Clutterbuck's deal is the worst of the bunch, definitely. Martin's deal was bad when he received it from Toronto, and that's why he was moved. Since there's only a year left on it and we're unlikely to need that cap space, it's not bad for this team right now. Would you extend him with the same term and cap hit he received from Toronto if he has another year like this next season?

I'd agree on Martin and Clutterbuck, but disagree on Cizikas. He scores well for a bottom 6 player (is in the top 180 among all forwards in the league over the past 3.5 seasons for 5 on 5 points), kills penalties well, and can play regularly against opposing teams top lines. That's a very good third line center in my book and worth the 3.5m.

I mind that our fourth line is costing $10 million as a whole, which is a very expensive fourth line. Trotz has transformed that line with his system too, so I love that. The previous version of this line would just hit people and keep dumping the puck in so they can hit some more. This version pins the opposition in their own end and clogs the neutral zone so well.

Reactions: stranger34

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Mayfield is right up there with the biggest surprises of the year. And as an added bonus, he seems to want to score more than most of our offensive players

I remember having to defend him last year. Half this board wanted to launch him into orbit. I feel like one of the few voices of reason among the 'Quick, everyone panic!'.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I mind that our fourth line is costing $10 million as a whole, which is a very expensive fourth line. Trotz has transformed that line with his system too, so I love that. The previous version of this line would just hit people and keep dumping the puck in so they can hit some more. This version pins the opposition in their own end and clogs the neutral zone so well.
I agree that the line as a whole is overpaid for a 4th line, but seeing that the coach doesn't seem them as a 4th line, nor are they used as a 4th line (what true 4th line regularly matches up against opposing teams top lines?), that doesn't bother me too much. But I was more referring to you calling them players you get rid of as you get better. I agree with that on Martin and Clutter, but I could see Cizikas being a part of a contending team, even at his salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad