News From Around The League - Part XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You can make a substantive contribution to more than one franchise, it's rare but possible. Patrick Roy's number should absolutely be retired in Montreal AND Colorado, for another example.

As far as Nieds, if he wants to do it let him. I never really considered him the hockey lifer that would want to coach after his career was over, and it sounds like this isn't going to be a full-time job (yet at least). It's not like we have a shortage of HOF defensemen on our staff anyway.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
You can make a substantive contribution to more than one franchise, it's rare but possible. Patrick Roy's number should absolutely be retired in Montreal AND Colorado, for another example.

Never understood how Bourque had his number retired in Colorado after playing 1 1/6 of a season for them.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Not at all although I can see why it would irritate some Edmonton fans (his distancing himself from the franchise, not the jersey number retirement)
He retired as a member of another franchise. Niedermayer retired as a member of another franchise. The "distance" was already there.

You retire a player for what he did while wearing your jersey, not what he did while out of it.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
My prediction:

1. Boston
2. Pittsburgh
3. Washington
4. Tampa Bay
5. Rangers
6. Flyers
7. Devils
8. Hurricanes
9. Sabres
10. Panthers
11. Leafs
12. Ottawa
13. Montreal
14. Islanders
15. Winnipeg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
if the leafs get luongo they will make the playoffs.

I'm not so sure of that. Like I said a lot of good goalies played on bad teams last year, and posted really good numbers like Price, Ward, Miller, Kipper, etc. Even Nabby with the Isles. Canadiens finished dead last with Carey Price posting a 916 save percentage.

Well any predictions now are subject to change based on what happens the next week, but I'm not sold on the Canes. All they did for this year was upgrade Brandon Sutter to Jordan Staal (who never stays healthy anyway), and add a much moodier Russian than Kovy ever was. Do they even have a real backup behind Ward? I'm not sure they can run him out 45-48 games this year. Tampa could surprise 'again' if Lindback pans out, their goaltending wasn't just bad last year - it was AHL-backup caliber.
Tampa Bay's defense was terrible last year trust me. They spent most games they played pinned in their zone getting forechecked into oblivion. They may have been a little better if Dwayne Roloson didn't play, and if career backup Matheiu Garon was not forced to be their starter. For all this talk about Guy Boucher being a defensive genious his team sure didn't play like it last year. I expect them to score a lot because they got a nice set of forwards. I expect them to also give up a lot of goals too, but maybe not as much as last year.

apice3*

1. Nyr
2. Ott
3. Wsh
4. Pit
5. Bos
6. Njd
7. Phi
8. Wpg
9. Buf
10. Fla
11. Car
12. Tb
13. Mtl
14. Nyi
15. Tor

apice3*

He retired as a member of another franchise. Niedermayer retired as a member of another franchise. The "distance" was already there.

You retire a player for what he did while wearing your jersey, not what he did while out of it.

Spittin a lot of truth lately, and I love it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think he just means cause Gratton and Turgeon wore #77 in their career, but since #77 was retired in Colorado they had to get different numbers. It is ironic, since you don't think of #77 as a popular number that the Avs would get 'two' more guys who wore it after.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We NEED to retire ALMO's number!:sarcasm: Come on guys he won his only Cup with us, and was only here for the same amount of time Bourque was in Colorado! (Maybe a little more though with his second stint after last lockout)

It's not like anybody is ever gonna wear #89 again for us anyway!:laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Tampa Bay's defense was terrible last year trust me. They spent most games they played pinned in their zone getting forechecked into oblivion. They may have been a little better if Dwayne Roloson didn't play, and if career backup Matheiu Garon was not forced to be their starter. For all this talk about Guy Boucher being a defensive genious his team sure didn't play like it last year. I expect them to score a lot because they got a nice set of forwards. I expect them to also give up a lot of goals too, but maybe not as much as last year.

My opinion of the Tampa goaltending is slightly colored by the fact I was saddled with Roloson in 'both' my fantasy leagues. I somehow won the HF league despite hideous goaltending for much of the year (other than Tim Thomas's first half). The other league I wasn't so fortunate, but I had a mostly autodrafted team from **** there.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
We NEED to retire ALMO's number!:sarcasm: Come on guys he won his only Cup with us, and was only here for the same amount of time Bourque was in Colorado! (Maybe a little more though with his second stint after last lockout)

It's not like anybody is ever gonna wear #89 again for us anyway!:laugh:

so ridiculous.

bourque is ********.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My opinion of the Tampa goaltending is slightly colored by the fact I was saddled with Roloson in 'both' my fantasy leagues. I somehow won the HF league despite hideous goaltending for much of the year (other than Tim Thomas's first half). The other league I wasn't so fortunate, but I had a mostly autodrafted team from **** there.

Yeah Roloson was terrible last year, but Garon wasn't so good either. Though he was just a backup that had to take over, and become a starter cause of how bad Roloson was struggling. The team was a joke defensively, and that 1-3-1 was a joke. I really believe they will be in the top 10 in the league for most goals against again. Maybe even top 5. They gave Matt Carle that stupid contract too. Have fun with that!

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Tampa got Lindback from Nashville so their goaltending should be better this year. Carolina added Jordan Staal and Semin so they should also be better..we added Krys Barch - watch out Atlantic Division!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tampa got Lindback from Nashville so their goaltending should be better this year. Carolina added Jordan Staal and Semin so they should also be better..we added Krys Barch - watch out Atlantic Division!

Lindback hasn't proven squat yet. Tampa Bay could find out that they overpaid for a very average oaf when working as a starting goaltender. We'll probably be an easy victory for him though. In the regular season we can't score against big goalies other than the monster five hole Gustavsson! Too bad Detroit picked him up!:laugh:

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day

Wasn't the goaltenders problem last year, I mean obviously at 43 Rolo wasn't as good as he once was but the D was complete and utter ****.

They traded KUbina which left them with Brewer and Hedman really. They had guys like Gervais and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad