News From Around the League Part XLVII - FREE AGENT FRENZY Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
We can't trade the #30 spot per se, but what's to say we can't offer to draft and trade a player that another team wants?

Lou should hire me as Director of Double-Secret CBA Circumvention

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
We can't trade the #30 spot per se, but what's to say we can't offer to draft and trade a player that another team wants?

Lou should hire me as Director of Double-Secret CBA Circumvention

My guess there is a 1 year limit before the drafted player can be traded.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
My guess there is a 1 year limit before the drafted player can be traded.

Ah well then...
chris-morris-jumps-out-window-o.gif

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hiller being a free agent really narrows the landing spots for Marty. Ryan Miller being a free agent as well. If Miller did go to San Jose, Niemi is still a good enough starting goalie to be packaged somewhere too.

Who has an open spot right now? Vancouver, St Louis possibly, though they seem content to ride it out with Elliott and Allen. Maybe Winnipeg if they're giving up on Pavelec.

I would say Winnipeg might be a sleeper to add a new goalie. They didn't re sign Montoya who had a decent season for them last year. Maybe they're looking to add one of Hiller or Brodeur? I doubt Miller would wanna sign there.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I wonder if hiller is the real deal...hard to tell since Anaheim is so good. if so...it makes our ginger expendable. I wonder how many starts hiller is demanding :sarcasm:

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
No one is signing Brodeur. Hiller has been a below average goalie for 3 years.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No one is signing Brodeur. Hiller has been a below average goalie for 3 years.

Brodeur likely has no trouble finding a backup job. Hiller has been an average goalie I would say. He's not that bad.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Another team with a goalie vacancy that I was just reminded of by talking about them in the other thread, Buffalo. Though they might be content to ride it out with Enroth, Neuvirth, and one of the slew of guys they were playing down the stretch. Like that fat basturd we lost to in April.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I don't think Marty could win 10 games playing all 82 for BUF next season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Marty'd go on IR by Game 20 in Buffalo facing 45 shots a night. I'm actually surprised he didn't go on IR this year playing 40+. For someone with his mileage he's only really had two serious injuries - 2009 and the mysterious wrist injury in the lockout season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sorry guys. I only brought Marty up in regards to possible landing spots for him and destinations for Hiller after Anaheim announced they were not offering him a new contract. Never wanted to get into that stupid played debate again. :shakehead

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Marty'd go on IR after Game 20 in Buffalo. I'm actually surprised he didn't go on IR this year playing 40+. For someone with his mileage he's only really had two serious injuries - 2009 and the mysterious wrist injury in the lockout season.

I didn't think the 2013 one was really serious. Kept him out for about a month I believe. He had two different ones that kept him out for like two weeks each in 10-11. There was one in 11-12 one period into his second game into the season. That was like 3 weeks I think.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think it's still off topic, but, stats are EVERYTHING to some fans.

Question, is the Islanders 1st round pick to Buffalo for next season lottery protected at all?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Carolina Hurricanes ‏@NHLCanes 11m

BREAKING: Bill Peters named #Canes head coach.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I could bother to look up his profile...but I'll just go with my initial reaction:

Who the **** is that?!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I could bother to look up his profile...but I'll just go with my initial reaction:

Who the **** is that?!

Looks like he was an assistant for the Red Wings this season. He has a decent resume and a Memorial Cup in recent memory.

Peters is entering his second season as an assistant coach with the Red Wings. In his first season in the Motor City, Peters worked primarily with the team’s defensemen and penalty kill units. He joined the coaching staff following three seasons behind the bench of the Rockford IceHogs, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks. During his three-year tenure in Rockford, Peters compiled a 122-97-7-14 record and led the IceHogs to back-to-back 40-win seasons and consecutive Calder Cup playoff appearances in 2008-09 and 2009-10. Peters directed the second-youngest team in the AHL to a 38-33-4-5 record in 2010-11. During his time in Rockford, he helped 28 players ascend to the NHL ranks, including three members of the 2010 Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks – goalie Antti Niemi, and defensemen Niklas Hjalmarsson and Jordan Hendry.

Prior to his tenure with the IceHogs, Peters enjoyed tremendous success as a head coach at the junior level. He led the Spokane Chiefs of the Western Hockey League to a franchise record 50 wins and 107 points in 2008, and guided the Chiefs to the 2008 Memorial Cup title as champions of the Canadian Hockey League. The Chiefs defeated the Kitchener Rangers 4-1 in the championship game. In three seasons as the head coach in Spokane, Peters compiled a 111-82-10-23 record. He also served as an assistant with the Chiefs twice under current Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock, first as a midseason replacement in 1996-97 and then returning to the same position in 1999-00. Babcock and Peters led the Spokane franchise to a 47-win/100-point campaign that season, along with the WHL’s Western Conference championship.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah the hurricanes will suck yet again. Especially if they have to play the skeleton of Ward for a certain amount of games.

Speaking of Wardo's skeleton, there is another goalie who could be available to some team. He appears to be completely finished but since he's only 30, someone might take a gamble on him. After his current contract expires. No one will pick up that contract. Wonder if they'll buy him out? Likely not cause Carolina has little finances it seems.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah the hurricanes will suck yet again. Especially if they have to play the skeleton of Ward for a certain amount of games.

Speaking of Wardo's skeleton, there is another goalie who could be available to some team. He appears to be completely finished but since he's only 30, someone might take a gamble on him. After his current contract expires. No one will pick up that contract. Wonder if they'll buy him out? Likely not cause Carolina has little finances it seems.

Did a quick search and it seems the canes are still looking to trade wardo or so says the rumors. Mckenzie said wardo would waive his ntc in certain instances.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It'll probably wind up like the Luongo/Cory situation where they try forever to trade Ward but finally throw up their hands and trade Khudobin instead.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
It'll probably wind up like the Luongo/Cory situation where they try forever to trade Ward but finally throw up their hands and trade Khudobin instead.

Ward is untradable or playable if he puts up another sub 90% SV%. If I was the CAR GM (and could spend to the cap) I would just buy him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad