News from around the League Part L - Non trade news

Status
Not open for further replies.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Could be a good fit or a disaster. Depends how Pete approachs it. Larry had to vouch for him.

Deboer could be a good fit. Very good coach, despite what some think here. His puck possession system should work, in theory, with the Sharks roster.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not one thing has gone right for me since the middle of April.

Doug really should have been fired for even considering Dumbeor.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Not one thing has gone right for me since the middle of April.

Doug really should have been fired for even considering Dumbeor.

As one of the founding members of the Can Pete DeBoer movement, I'm going to be closely following the Sharks board and some of their games next year. It should provide some good laughs

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
We just have some very bitter people toward Deboer. He will do fine in SJ and the team will do well.

He was too well respected around the league not to get another job. He is thought very highly about doesnt matter what a bunch of people on a message board think. Ill take the words from the pros over board members every day of the week.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
You would hope that DeBoer can iron out the rough edges of his personality because he is a knowledgable guy. If he can adapt his philosophy, he will be fine. If he can't, then....

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
It's almost like people forget Deboer coached some talented players to the Stanley Cup Final.

I know. A lot of them say "that group wasn't talented enough" though. That's what they use as their argument for Deboer.

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
where is the 'he'll never coach in the nhl again' crowd? and where is the 'he's a good coach and will have a HC job in 2015-16' guy?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Pete is an excellent hockey mind...I'm not sure how times people needed to hear Top Brass around the league say the same thing to at least consider it to be true.

It'll be very interesting to see what Pete gets out of Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski and Couture next season.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It's almost like people forget Deboer coached some talented players to the Stanley Cup Final.

he also was very dangerously close to losing in the 1st round to one of the worst playoff teams in recent memory.

we made the Finals in 2012 in spite of him.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
he also was very dangerously close to losing in the 1st round to one of the worst playoff teams in recent memory.

Simply not true. The combination of his system and our players got us there. We perfectly matched up against the Flyers and had a favourable series against the Rags.

We got to the finals in spite of our penalty kill, and that's not on Deboer.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

This is just not true and where the anti-Pete argument goes off the rails.

As usual both extremes are off on this one - but at least now the argument will finally be settled once and for all, unless the Sharks decide to blow it up and completely rebuild tomorrow.

My only problem with the Pete defenders is not so much disagreeing with what Larry says (I don't), but the media at large and some fans give this guy more excuses than any other coach I've ever seen. Lots of coaches get fired because of bad teams. That's why I'm glad he went to the Sharks, now there aren't any more excuses...he's with a good team, let's see him get them over the hump if he's an elite coach. Right now I consider him an average coach with pluses and minuses that gets treated like a good coach without portfolio by many, and gets villified like a bad coach by others here when he's not. I'm not sure he's really any better than the guy he replaced though, maybe the whole different voice thing works for them.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
his system (sitting back with the lead) and stubbornness almost cost us the first round series against Florida.

Brodeur in the first six games and the suddenly horrific PK almost cost us the first round series against Florida. But this isn't the time or thread for that argument. And Pete arguably outcoached two Cup winning coaches in the next two rounds.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This has been the worst month I've had in 7 years easily. And this month feels like it's never gonna end.

I wish I could go to sleep until June 1st.

With the ****** luck I've been having, the Rangers WILL be beating Tampa and probably even winning the cup. The only good thing is the SCF doesn't start until June, maybe my luck will have changed with the new month.

At least I'm skinny and have my health. I'll live to be old and miserable. Miserable enough to have to watch another team I like, be coached by Pete DeBoer.:cry:

This all but confirmed hiring is pretty much par for the course for the month I'm having. It sums up this month quite well.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
This has been the worst month I've had in 7 years easily. And this month feels like it's never gonna end.

I wish I could go to sleep until June 1st.

With the ****** luck I've been having, the Rangers WILL be beating Tampa and probably even winning the cup. The only good thing is the SCF doesn't start until June, maybe my luck will have changed with the new month.

At least I'm skinny and have my health. I'll live to be old and miserable. Miserable enough to have to watch another team I like, be coached by Pete DeBoer.:cry:

This all but confirmed hiring is pretty much par for the course for the month I'm having. It sums up this month quite well.

this prob belongs in the OT thread, but dang man, other than hockey related things and your "pets heads falling off", what's wrong (not meaning to be nosey, but the helpful in me is coming out)

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
this prob belongs in the OT thread, but dang man, other than hockey related things and your "pets heads falling off", what's wrong (not meaning to be nosey, but the helpful in me is coming out)

Haha it's nothing too bad. To sum it all up very shortly, I started talking to a girl in late April that I've been interested in for quite some time. I was really stressed out and upset over the whole situation. She's quite a bit younger than me and it also appears she has quite the ego and plays more games than almost any girl that's 10 years younger than she is. She then told me she was pregnant (not from me because we were never together like that) and I'm skeptical if it was BS or not. It was hard to let her go because I had been interested for so long.

I'm going over to a friend's on Friday night to hang out. I'm kind of interested in her, but I see bad things happening because this godforsaken piece of **** calendar is still in May.:rant:

I also always get mildly depressed during the Devils offseason. These things are very easy to handle during hockey season. or Devils season in particular.

Nothing seems to have went right for me this month at all. I think June will be much better.

And then the Mets demise started this month too, not that I follow them much anymore. I think my ****** month has been a curse on them, though they always implode anyway lol.

I'm feeling much better the last 5 days or so. Then this DeBoer hiring to my second favorite team and the Rangers winning BS. That's just the kind of month it's been, I'll be happy when it's all over.

Last edited:

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008

Things weren't working out and I'm glad he's gone, but let's be fair. You're talking about what almost happened. I'm talking about what actually happened.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Deboer's coaching in the Philly series and Ranger series was outstanding in 2012. His line combos all seemed to work perfectly and made Torts look like a fool... I remember an article from one of the major NY papers about how badly the Rangers were being out-coached, he also did a masterful job with matchup and negating Philly's forecheck in that series.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not discounting anything DeBoer did in the 2012 playoffs.

But I do think that it might be a one trick pony situation. Think of the Flyers craptastic goaltending duo in the 2010 playoffs.

Leighton and Boucher were good that year. But before that, they were pretty much bums (except for Boucher's run as a rookie 10 years earlier). And after that, they never did anything again either.

Unless you count being one of the best regular season goaltenders in the KHL.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
where is the 'he'll never coach in the nhl again' crowd? and where is the 'he's a good coach and will have a HC job in 2015-16' guy?

Deboer isnt a bad coach with the right team.

There is a reason around the NHL he was well liked and talked up during his enitre time here. I said it after he was fired and i will say it now. He will be an NHL head coach this season.

I fully believed he would land a job this offseason. You could argue he landed the best "NOW" job that was out there. SJ is easily ready to compete for the playoffs right away.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
The two things that really annoyed me with Deboer was the handling of Larsson and the overplaying of Gionta. I think I'm preaching to the choir with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad