News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2019-20 Pt. VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
That’s a helluva collection of top-end hockey talent. To rampage through the league like that, and without a perennial 40-goal/90-point centre (I know Stammer doesn’t have a glittering playoff resume) at their disposal, is impressive. No shame in our losing the ECF to Tampa.

Wonder if Stevie Y has any regrets?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Just read that Bogosian and Coburn are the first 2 ever Thrasher draft picks to win a cup. That’s insane. You would think someone somewhere would have got one.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
That’s a helluva collection of top-end hockey talent. To rampage through the league like that, and without a perennial 40-goal/90-point centre (I know Stammer doesn’t have a glittering playoff resume) at their disposal, is impressive. No shame in our losing the ECF to Tampa.

Most of the main pieces have his finger prints on them.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Congrats to Hedman. No.2 overall pick in his draft. Stayed with TB the entire time.

No.1 and No.3 made an impact on their original franchises, but left failing to meet expectations and put player ahead of team. Hence, the unlikely scenario they ever win the Cup.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Just read that Bogosian and Coburn are the first 2 ever Thrasher draft picks to win a cup. That’s insane. You would think someone somewhere would have got one.
Are you expecting Evander Kane to win a Cup? (I know what you mean though...)

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
Most of the main pieces have his finger prints on them.

Brian Burke just said as much on HNIC. Something to the effect of “he should not be overlooked tonight,” which is appropriate coming from the guy who won in ‘07 with a roster that was mostly Bryan Murray’s handiwork.

Damn, even Sergachev for Drouin is an Yzerman move.

Reactions: SI90

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL

He knows that he is largely responsible and nobody remembers who the GM was anyway. Got to give BriseBois credit too. Those were some ballsy trade deadline moves he made and arguably they were the difference makers, particularly Coleman and Goodrow on the PK. They were nothing short of brilliant in that role.

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
He knows that he is largely responsible and nobody remembers who the GM was anyway. Got to give BriseBois credit too. Those were some ballsy trade deadline moves he made and arguably they were the difference makers, particularly Coleman and Goodrow on the PK. They were nothing short of brilliant in that role.

Yup, yup. Went from “window could be closing” to “could win another” in one season’s worth of ace tweaking.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Tampa was sooooo good. Really always felt they were playing with an extra man. Fun to watch......super talented team.....and something to be envious of. No reason they could not repeat.

Reactions: buud

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
First off, congratulations to the NHL for putting this together and doing such a great job. The lack of fans did take away from the atmosphere, truth be told, some games felt 'bland,' as a result. I was just glad hockey returned and will be back soon.

As for the game, Tampa played a perfect game. The neutral and D zone coverage suffocated a tired Dallas team. Tampa now knows how to win, and they did just that. Far and away the best team in the NHL and that should remain for a few years; I could see them winning another 2. They have everything you need to win, Yzerman did a heck of a job building this roster, and Brisbois putting the final touches.

Dallas looks like they need another top-6 scorer. If they are going to score by committee, I think that's the best course. Seguin and Benn just aren't good enough to carry the offensive load. Gurianov went cold. Their depth was tested with the injuries. Pavelski and Khudobin were the Stars MVPs. Dallas is definitely in the elite of the west now IMHO.

Congrats to both teams.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That alone is reason to root for any team that beats us in the playoffs.

It's bitter to lose, but always better to say you were only stopped by the champs.

Looking at the final 4 of NYI, Vegas, Dallas & TB, I hoped Lehner would end up in the finals against the Isles. When that didn't happen, I didn't care which one of Dallas/TB won.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Tampa was sooooo good. Really always felt they were playing with an extra man. Fun to watch......super talented team.....and something to be envious of. No reason they could not repeat.

Check out their roster situation. They only have 15 players signed for next year, $5.3M in cap space, and only 3 players on defense signed (Hedman, McDonagh, Coburn). Sergachev, Cernak, Stephens, Cirelli, Verhaeghe are all RFA. Maroon, Rutta, Schenn, Shattenkirk, and Bogosian are all UFA. Those are some pretty big pieces they're going to lose. I understand none of those guys are the main pieces (aside from Sergachev) but it'll be impossible to keep them all. They also have 8 players with either a full NTC or NMC, then Killorn with a modified one. I'm not quite sure what team they're icing next year. Good thing they won it all this year.

I assume Killorn will have to be moved to help create space, he's the only one movable with a decent salary.

Reactions: Lek

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
contractual legalities are not my specialty, but i was wondering if this (in a creative sense), makes sense.

Trade Boychuk to Jersey for, let's say... a 6th. at the deadline, bring him back, for a 5th. i suppose that it would be wise to sign both contracts at the same 'sitting'.

- he doesn't have to move.
- Jersey uses him most of the season for cap reasons, and his experience/leadership for the youngsters.
- we get him back at trade deadline, for the cup run.

he has NYI blood in his veins. i can't seem to imagine trading him to some bottom feeder. would be a real slap in the face, IMO.

we don't owe him anything, but his loyalty, dedication, personality, scream that we do this proper.

what do you experts say? make sense?

I don't suppose there's anything preventing something like this, other than potential accusations of collusion to circumvent the cap, but thats a pretty week accusation. Its simply two trades, months apart, involving the same player and teams.

I guess there would be some sort of wink wink nod nod handshake agreement for the whole thing, and NJ could decide to not trade him back; there would be no obligation to do so.

Boychuk has a contract - NJ would take on that contract at the time of the first trade, then the Isles would take it back at the second trade. I'm trying to think of anything like this in the past, and drawing a blank.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Check out their roster situation. They only have 15 players signed for next year, $5.3M in cap space, and only 3 players on defense signed (Hedman, McDonagh, Coburn). Sergachev, Cernak, Stephens, Cirelli, Verhaeghe are all RFA. Maroon, Rutta, Schenn, Shattenkirk, and Bogosian are all UFA. Those are some pretty big pieces they're going to lose. I understand none of those guys are the main pieces (aside from Sergachev) but it'll be impossible to keep them all. They also have 8 players with either a full NTC or NMC, then Killorn with a modified one. I'm not quite sure what team they're icing next year. Good thing they won it all this year.

I assume Killorn will have to be moved to help create space, he's the only one movable with a decent salary.

Really something i do not spend time on because i really do not have it....that's why i have you all, lol....but with all the people who need to be moved from all these teams....not sure where they can go?....two more expansion teams?...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad