News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2016-17 Edition PART I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I'm actually a bit surprised he stuck around and didn't just head to the KHL. It might almost have been better if he'd gone to the KHL, maybe had a handful of productive years, then returned to the NHL after raising his stock like some of these KHL guys have done.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm actually a bit surprised he stuck around and didn't just head to the KHL. It might almost have been better if he'd gone to the KHL, maybe had a handful of productive years, then returned to the NHL after raising his stock like some of these KHL guys have done.
In a way I actually admire him because he clearly values playing at the highest level over rubles. I hope he turns it around.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I completely get the move for Colorado, I don't get it for Yakupov unless it was his only option.

This is what i was thinking. He may not have gotten calls from other teams, and if he did, maybe it was for league minimum.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I completely get the move for Colorado, I don't get it for Yakupov unless it was his only option.

I actually get it from a Yakupov perspective. Go to a team that you feel you will get a shot in key situations

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Was just coming to post this as well as I saw it. In my mind he gets lots of respect from me. He didn't turn tail and run at the first sign of adversity like Petrov. He is still trying to forge a career and still wants to do it in the states. I really admire his perseverance. On the flip side I think about it and he only gets my admiration because he's Russian and we don't usually see them acting that way. He's pretty much doing what every single North American kid does when they are trying to become an NHL regular.

Still, gotta give him props that he hasn't run away.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Yeah, Colorado is a mess, but Yakupov wasn't a 1st overall pick there.

He's not going to be held to battling for bottom six icetime like he was in St. Louis.

Hopefully he is able to become a solid 15-15 guy and can add speed to your lineup.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Colorado's RW situation isn't great either. He could end up playing with Jost or (eek) Duchene.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The Buffalo Sabres signed Ryan Jankowski to be their head of amateur scouting yesterday. I thought that was interesting since Jankowski is probably well versed on the Isles young players and most of the young players across the league in general.

I wonder if that will impact the relationship with Buffalo down the line? Especially given how many early draft picks the Isles have in next year's draft.

I still think Buffalo might be a fit for acquiring a center, since they have good center depth and their best prospects tend to be RWs, while they desperately need better LWs right now. I could see them wanting to add a proven LW (especially with Kane's history and impending UFA status) and also accumulate picks for ammunition in next year's draft. That way they would potentially be able to target and move up for a certain player or trade some picks to another team for a defenseman they covet.

It will be interesting to watch how Botterill, Housley and Jankowski work to mold their young players, approach the draft and maybe move out some roster players to help other areas of need. I like the Sabers high-end talent but think they probably need to make a trade or two in order to maximize their roster and take the next step. They have to determine who they are willing to pay and who is trade bait.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Wanted to start this as a new thread but for reasons I cannot mention I can't. So instead i'll just put it here and let the mods decide if they want to break it into its own thread.

Interesting read on Art Staple. Guy asked some really good questions and the most important one he dodged best he could, lol. Worth a read!

https://swedishislander.wordpress.com/2017/07/12/state-of-the-art-the-man-behind-the-pen/

i read that one last night, wanted to post it but didn't know where to put it. Turns out Art is a Ranger fan. I think he might be a plant. A covert operative trying to dig up information for the enemy.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
i read that one last night, wanted to post it but didn't know where to put it. Turns out Art is a Ranger fan. I think he might be a plant. A covert operative trying to dig up information for the enemy.

But Art being Art he was very careful to use past tense when he brought up being a Ranger fan lol. The guy may secretly be a politician, but probably not a plant. He dodges questions like the most seasoned congressman!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's pretty well known that he was a Rangers fan growing up. He has said he's given fandom up though to do his job.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Wanted to start this as a new thread but for reasons I cannot mention I can't. So instead i'll just put it here and let the mods decide if they want to break it into its own thread.

Interesting read on Art Staple. Guy asked some really good questions and the most important one he dodged best he could, lol. Worth a read!

https://swedishislander.wordpress.com/2017/07/12/state-of-the-art-the-man-behind-the-pen/

Why would it matter who he roots for? The guy has a right to an opinion or taste. It doesn't mean he can't do his job anyways. Maybe if we were all 5 years old it might matter...

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Why would it matter who he roots for? The guy has a right to an opinion or taste. It doesn't mean he can't do his job anyways. Maybe if we were all 5 years old it might matter...

I don't know why you quoted my post and why you are asking me that question. I certainly don't care who he roots for. Why did you quote me? I just thought it was interesting learning more about the man behind the laptop

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
This kid really grew up, eh? :sarcasm:

But seriously, out of all the Garth Snow 4th/5th overall picks, Nino is by far and away the best of that crop. I'd say it was the most off the board pick at the time as well, no?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
But seriously, out of all the Garth Snow 4th/5th overall picks, Nino is by far and away the best of that crop. I'd say it was the most off the board pick at the time as well, no?

I don't believe he was. I think he was rated in that 5-8 range, and was a late season climber due to an outstanding WJC.

If I recall, there was Taylor/Tyler, then there was the 3 defensemen (Fowler, Gormley, Gudbranson), and then a group of forwards including Johansen, Niederreiter, Skinner, Granlund, and Connolly. Tarasenko was a wildcard because of the Russian factor at the time. He likely would have been in the conversation with Taylor/Tyler if it weren't for that.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I don't believe he was. I think he was rated in that 5-8 range, and was a late season climber due to an outstanding WJC.

If I recall, there was Taylor/Tyler, then there was the 3 defensemen (Fowler, Gormley, Gudbranson), and then a group of forwards including Johansen, Niederreiter, Skinner, Granlund, and Connolly. Tarasenko was a wildcard because of the Russian factor at the time. He likely would have been in the conversation with Taylor/Tyler if it weren't for that.

Just to expand, I think Johansen was an even later riser than Nino. I recall mentioning him as a possibility at #5 not that far in advance of the draft and some basically mocked the idea for the usual reason (they hadn't seen his name all year in the "expert" rankings).

The idea that Fowler would drop to #5 (let alone #12) was not even on the radar. That turned out to be a weakish draft, and St Loo did incredibly well getting 2 of the best players in the draft (Schwartz and Tarasenko) at #14 and #16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad