News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2016-17 Edition PART I

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Just saw the Handle signing...not yet confirmed by Fla but it's a done deal. A lot of term but had to figure he would get 7. All free agents do now...so much leverage. It's getting out of hand.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I knew the minute I saw that Yandle was traded to Florida, Dale Tallon was going to essentially hand him a blank check. The guy just loves to overpay for solid-but-unspectacular players like Dave Bolland, Brian Campbell, etc.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I knew the minute I saw that Yandle was traded to Florida, Dale Tallon was going to essentially hand him a blank check. The guy just loves to overpay for solid-but-unspectacular players like Dave Bolland, Brian Campbell, etc.

Dale Tallon's not the GM anymore.

Getting to watch Yandle more made me realize that he's a limited defenseman. He's damn good at running a power play, but you can't rely on him to play top pairing minutes.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Dale Tallon's not the GM anymore.

Getting to watch Yandle more made me realize that he's a limited defenseman. He's damn good at running a power play, but you can't rely on him to play top pairing minutes.

I know Tallon isn't the GM, they promoted him to an even HIGHER executive position and gave him more power. This was a Tallon-inspired move.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
FYI - brooks will block you on twitter if you give him too much honest feedback on his work

brooksie_zps3kecmh5k.jpg

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
What'd you say?

Did he introduce himself as John Tortorella?

On the serious side of things, how about Benning leaking that Montreal was shopping Subbon! I just heard about this. WOW, what a F.U. Benning is. Hello tampering charges!

And does this make him a prime suspect in the Hamonic leak?

Last edited:

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Andrew Shaw apparently got six years and almost $24 million. Yikes! A lot of GMs are going to paint themselves into a corner this year. If the economy and Canadian dollar don't recover, I smell another lockout and rollback on the way.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Andrew Shaw apparently got six years and almost $24 million. Yikes! A lot of GMs are going to paint themselves into a corner this year. If the economy and Canadian dollar don't recover, I smell another lockout and rollback on the way.

I think this is why it was important to get Cizikas' contract done before Shaw's. Cizikas' production was very comparable to Shaw's, despite getting notably less PP time and not playing a lot of minutes with Toews/Hossa. This contract was certainly not something you wanted existing as a comparable when trying to make a deal with Casey.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I think this is why it was important to get Cizikas' contract done before Shaw's. Cizikas' production was very comparable to Shaw's, despite getting notably less PP time and not playing a lot of minutes with Toews/Hossa. This contract was certainly not something you wanted existing as a comparable when trying to make a deal with Casey.

I completely agree and thought the Cizikas deal was very fair for both the player and team. He is a great 4C and should be a solid 3C, if needed. You can also kick him out to W if that is what is required to fill out the lines.

A bunch of dumb GMs will immediately raise the pay scale at the start of free agency and that in turn will help some of the RFAs a little as well (a rising tide lifts all boats). Look, the true stars deserve to get paid but the rank and file? Not so much. That is where you get into trouble, especially with term.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I completely agree and thought the Cizikas deal was very fair for both the player and team. He is a great 4C and should be a solid 3C, if needed. You can also kick him out to W if that is what is required to fill out the lines.

A bunch of dumb GMs will immediately raise the pay scale at the start of free agency and that in turn will help some of the RFAs a little as well (a rising tide lifts all boats). Look, the true stars deserve to get paid but the rank and file? Not so much. That is where you get into trouble, especially with term.

Yeah, I basically saw Cizikas' deal as fine. Not a great deal for the team, but fair enough, given his production last season and what the Islanders' management seems to project from him. A bit of a risk, likely will be a fair deal over its course, and with a chance of being a steal. I actually really like Shaw as a player, but I'm glad Cizikas wasn't able to point this contract out when negotiating, and especially glad he didn't have it out there at an arbitration hearing.

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
We can scratch Taylor Hall off the list of potential trade options, as he was just dealt to the Devils for Adam Larsson. No word on other players or draft picks being moved. I have this bad feeling that we lose KO, Frans and Martin and don't sign anyone good enough to replace them, as I sure hope I'm wrong.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Last edited by a moderator:

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY
Wow, what a day. To be fair, would you guys have given Pulock or Hamonic up for Hall? I'd consider it but I don't think I'd do it.

I'm also really shocked by the Subban trade.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
TB should absolutely rip through the pathetic Atlantic division. Between Boston and Montreal... I just don't know what to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad