News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2016-17 Edition PART I

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'd say it was the most off the board pick at the time as well, no?

TSN had him rated 7th with Gormley 4th, Fowler 5th and Johansen 6th. Rumor was Islanders were all set to take Johansen before Columbus took him before us.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
This kid really grew up, eh? :sarcasm:

But seriously, out of all the Garth Snow 4th/5th overall picks, Nino is by far and away the best of that crop. I'd say it was the most off the board pick at the time as well, no?

He had climbed fast late in the year.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Duchene clearly wants to stay in Colorado.

It will be an interesting story to follow. How patient will Duchene and his agent be if this drags into the regular season? If the Avs struggle again, will fans blame the Avs front office or Duchene?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
You are all clearly reading between the lines.
Duchene said he is trying to be the best he can be.
So much inference drawing. Sakic knows what is best for them and the owners clearly have his back. All is fine in Colorado and I laugh at any other opinions.

Oh, and one other thing, if you can't see what I did there, then :sarcasm: ;)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
20% off orders $50 or over today on the NHL Shop, if you're into that.

Only today.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Leon Draisaitl resigns with the Oilers. 8 years at $8.5M AAV.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I just saw that Sam Bennett signed for $2m AAV. Is that all the guy is worth? Maybe I haven't followed him closely but I thought he was due for a lot more than that.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I just saw that Sam Bennett signed for $2m AAV. Is that all the guy is worth? Maybe I haven't followed him closely but I thought he was due for a lot more than that.

He hasn't done anything in the NHL. 36 points in his first season and 26 last season, so he got a 2 year ~$2 million per. He'll still be an RFA on his next contract but will be arbitration eligible, so if he puts up better numbers he'll have a much better chance of getting paid.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I'd say so. He hasn't really proven anything.

Bennett is actually a good example why people shouldn't have high expectations this season from Anthony Beauvillier. Similar players with similar numbers as 19 year olds, and Bennett didn't follow it up with anything noteworthy.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Bennett is actually a good example why people shouldn't have high expectations this season from Anthony Beauvillier. Similar players with similar numbers as 19 year olds, and Bennett didn't follow it up with anything noteworthy.

Beauvillier's game isn't all about points in my mind though, and he wasn't touted that way either. I don't think we'll have see any big point totals from him, but he's going to be a pest and someone to pay attention to on the ice. I ain't going to fret it if he equals his numbers or even drops down to 26. It's more important he continues to develop defensively and becomes a shut down kind of center. That's the future I see for him anyway.

Don't know that much about Bennett but sounds like the Flames wanted more from him than that.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island

One is a former top five pick, the other is a late first rounder. In theory one should absolutely be out performing the other, and in turn shouldn't hold any baring on Beauvillier's out put .

Meaning it would be more understandable for one to not meet such a lofty expectation.

That being said, I don't think anyone was projecting Beau' to be what Bennett was projected to be.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
One is a former top five pick, the other is a late first rounder. In theory one should absolutely be out performing the other, and in turn shouldn't hold any baring on Beauvillier's out put .

Meaning it would be more understandable for one to not meet such a lofty expectation.

That being said, I don't think anyone was projecting Beau' to be what Bennett was projected to be.

If Beauvillier played in the OHL and was two inches taller, I think he'd had been a lot more touted coming into his draft year. His draft season was basically on par with Bennett's and he should be treated as a prospect who has top six upside, and developed accordingly in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad