News Around the League Part IV: Offseason chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I've seen Boulton play one time live. In Atlanta. When he had a hat trick. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was the worst game I've ever been to as a fan.

I think The Russian scored our only goal so that was fun.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Was there a worst player than Eric Boulton on our 11-12 team? Rod Pelley did play 7 games and Mark Fraser played 4 games for us that year, but Eric Boulton played FIFTY-ONE games that year! Not even Jam Canssen was as bad as Boulton that year. And I don't even think Barch or Peters were as bad in their respective seasons with us.

Boulton was the only player I hated on that 11-12 team, after Pelley and Fraser GTFO. Not that I liked Kurtis Foster or Tedenby much either. I didn't like Tallinder much either, but he was gone injured by January until game 4 of the SCF. As far as players on our roster for damn near or all of the entire season, Boulton was the only one that year.

What a **** player he was for us, an absolute disgrace. He was gross in ever sense of the word. The sad thing is that Boulton might actually be the second oldest active player in the league if Elias and Dan Boyle don't play this year.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Was there a worst player than Eric Boulton on our 11-12 team? Rod Pelley did play 7 games and Mark Fraser played 4 games for us that year, but Eric Boulton played FIFTY-ONE games that year! Not even Jam Canssen was as bad as Boulton that year. And I don't even think Barch or Peters were as bad in their respective seasons with us.

Boulton was the only player I hated on that 11-12 team, after Pelley and Fraser GTFO. Not that I liked Kurtis Foster or Tedenby much either. I didn't like Tallinder much either, but he was gone injured by January until game 4 of the SCF. As far as players on our roster for damn near or all of the entire season, Boulton was the only one that year.

What a **** player he was for us, an absolute disgrace. He was gross in ever sense of the word. The sad thing is that Boulton might actually be the second oldest active player in the league if Elias and Dan Boyle don't play this year. ��

At least Boulton played hard and we knew what he was. Ruutu is slow as molasses but it's not his fault. Lou traded for a bad contract in the hopes he would contribute in 2014. Michael Ryder on the other hand was a loser AND a baby. If he only had more ice time to mope around in the neutral zone, maybe he would get the perfect pass to fire a 90 footer at the top corner of the net.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Ryder was such a disappointment. His skating was putrid and he was only effective if he had the puck on his stick in a shooting spot. At least when Sykora was here the second time around he scored, his skating was terrible but he found a way to score a lot. Hard to believe just 2 years before Lou signed Ryder he had scored 35 goals. Oh well, NJ has finally purged the have beens and fillers for the most part.

Sinner

Stevens #4 Legend
Jun 30, 2016
Rags Suck Land
Ryder was such a disappointment. His skating was putrid and he was only effective if he had the puck on his stick in a shooting spot. At least when Sykora was here the second time around he scored, his skating was terrible but he found a way to score a lot. Hard to believe just 2 years before Lou signed Ryder he had scored 35 goals. Oh well, NJ has finally purged the have beens and fillers for the most part.

that ******* couldn't hit the net for ****

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
At least Boulton played hard and we knew what he was. Ruutu is slow as molasses but it's not his fault. Lou traded for a bad contract in the hopes he would contribute in 2014. Michael Ryder on the other hand was a loser AND a baby. If he only had more ice time to mope around in the neutral zone, maybe he would get the perfect pass to fire a 90 footer at the top corner of the net.
I definitely don't disagree with you on the other two, I'm just talking the 11-12 team, which those guys didn't play on. I wound up HATING Poni 2.0 after we got him back the next season, despite liking the second trade at first and loving having him back. I also loved the initial acquisition of him as well. Poni in 2012 was awesome, Poni in 2013 was a very terrible piece of space junk.

As far as Ruutu goes, I do maintain that he was stiffed by both staff's in the 14-15 season, when Zubrus was playing above him. He was better than Zubrus THEN. But then he fell off a cliff completely last offseason and wound up being the worst non-goon forward to play for this team possibly EVER. I'm sure we had a couple scrubs in the 80's that might have been an equivalent.
Ryder was good for the first half season, even though he was streaky. He would definitely have his droughts. But at some point in January of 2014, he completely hit the deck. I mean, I couldn't believe my eyes. He was on pace to score over 30 goals in 14-15 as of January of that year. And then he finished with like 2 for the last close to 40 games, and played every game (if I'm not mistaken) for the rest of the season. So it's not like he missed time and only scored 2. Maybe he scored 3? Whatever it was, it made Clarkson's 5 goals in the final 34 games of the the lockout year (After 10 goals in the first 14 games) look not as bad.

I thought Sykora 2.0 was probably the best retread acquisition we made, post Claude Lemieux 2.0 in 99-00. Clemmensen 2.0 wasn't bad in 08-09, but only because he managed to hit a hot streak at the right time and was only supposed to be Frazee's mentor in Albany that season. That's the only reason he was even signed in the first place that time. Gomez 2.0 wound up being awesome too. He might have been our best forward in 14-15, at least for the 4 months that he played. Maybe Cammalleri was a little bit better.

Gomez, Cammalleri, Larsson, Greene and Cory were far and away our best players that 14-15 season. And ironically enough, it was Gomez's best stretch probably either since he played for the Rangers or during his first season in Montreal. Which was 5 years before that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
that ******* couldn't hit the net for ****

He was so terrible in his last year and a half with us/last year and a half of his career, I don't even know how often he even had the puck to even get a chance to shoot it.

And one more thing on Boulton's 51 games as a Devil with no points/not even on the ice for one goal for all season long. The hilarious thing is I clearly remember Boulton assisting on a goal in what I believe was the first preseason game of that season. I wanna say it was on a goal by either Elias or Sykora, both were on the ice with him I believe. One scored it and the other got one of the assists and Boulton got the other.

I only remember that happening because I would bring it up whenever laughing about how Boulton went 51 games with no points/not even on the ice for a goal for. He didn't have one + rating all season long LOL.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Danny DeKeyser gets 6 yrs $30M with a NTC

What the hell is Ken Holland doing over there?

Thing is that's probably not even as bad as most of the signings Holland has made this off-season. Detroit might be even for some rough times unless Larkin and Mrazek can be absolutely amazing for them...

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Thing is that's probably not even as bad as most of the signings Holland has made this off-season. Detroit might be even for some rough times unless Larkin and Mrazek can be absolutely amazing for them...

Perennial powerhouse losing the majority of its cornerstone pieces over the past few years (and aging vets), struggles to come to terms with its downfall and attempts to scrape by with overpaid, aging UFAs. As oppose to coming to terms with reality and realizing a rebuild/retool is needed.

Sounds familiar.

Hellraiser

Jun 12, 2015
New Jersey
Perennial powerhouse losing the majority of its cornerstone pieces over the past few years (and aging vets), struggles to come to terms with its downfall and attempts to scrape by with overpaid, aging UFAs. As oppose to coming to terms with reality and realizing a rebuild/retool is needed.

Sounds familiar.

They will go on to make the SCF one of these years before the free fall begins :sarcasm:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Sounds familiar.

As Devils fans, we may have already gotten front row seats to see this movie before, yeah.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
As Devils fans, we may have already gotten front row seats to see this movie before, yeah.

I've made that comparison for a while but if anything Holland is getting far worse locking in stupid long long term deals for meh and older players. There is also that whole playoff streak dynamic, it's like KH is obsessed with never missing the postseason.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Danny DeKeyser gets 6 yrs $30M with a NTC

What the hell is Ken Holland doing over there?

Yeah, that contract is ridiculous. I have absolutely no idea what Holland is doing in Detroit. He should be fired.

I see no problem with giving Dekeyser a 6 year deal. He's a great player. Just not for 5 million a year. ~4 mil a year seems fair.

The Namestnikov contract is a good comp for Boucher's deal. A shade under 2 million.

I think a fair contract for Boucher would be 1-2 years at 1.65 per season.

That Mike Hoffman contract is a bit much in my opinion. 4.75 would seem fair to me.

devils55

Mar 9, 2012
Yeah, that contract is ridiculous. I have absolutely no idea what Holland is doing in Detroit. He should be fired.

I see no problem with giving Dekeyser a 6 year deal. He's a great player. Just not for 5 million a year. ~4 mil a year seems fair.

I think a fair contract for Boucher would be 1-2 years at 1.65 per season.

That Mike Hoffman contract is a bit much in my opinion. 4.75 would seem fair to me.

A top 3 GM in the last 10-15 years. You're Hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad