News Around the League Part IV: Offseason chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
To continue the World Cup talk, I think it's yet again a case of the US overthinking it. That roster looks more like one you would assemble for the NHL playoffs than an international tournament. Did Kessel beg off this tournament? And Callahan over Palmieri, who just scored 30 goals? Apparently the US is trying to grind it out this tournament, which is a recipe for failure IMO.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And Callahan over Palmieri, who just scored 30 goals? Apparently the US is trying to grind it out this tournament, which is a recipe for failure IMO.

Poile.

That's the Poile trademark right there. For much of the first 15 years of Nashville's time in the league, there were a ******** of grinders all over the place. You could make a tool shed out of the place.

Only recently in the last couple of years has he moved away from the grinders.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Abdelkader is another suspect choice.

And why does Jack Johnson always make these tournaments? I understand Greene getting snubbed, but USA's woody with Jack Johnson is hilarious.

No need for two of Backes and Callahan. Pick one or the other.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I am glad Greene and Palms are not playing in this haha. Obviously they deserve to play but I want them healthy and rested.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Abdelkader is another suspect choice.

And why does Jack Johnson always make these tournaments? I understand Greene getting snubbed, but USA's woody with Jack Johnson is hilarious.

No need for two of Backes and Callahan. Pick one or the other.

Johnson is always willing to represent the US, so they always put him on international teams.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Lombardi is GM of team, Holmgren/Burke were top advisors. At least Lombardi didn't force Dustin Brown onto the squad.

ChicoEatsNachos

Jan 14, 2016
Little Ferry NJ
The USA roster is a joke and Tortorella is an idiot dinosaur. He is the embodiment of every thing wrong with hockey. I hope this horrendously composed and coached roster doesn't win a single game. There should be no rewards for this level of stupidity.

At least we don't have to worry about Palmeiri getting injured in a meaningless tournament. I am going to be rooting for Team Young People or Team Random Europeans to win the whole thing.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The good thing is Cory should be well protected with all the shot blocking in front of him. Although if Lombardi is in charge they'll probably start Quick instead.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
No Kovy on team Russia? Prob means he wants back in the NHL right?(has anyone used this joke yet?)

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Hopefully Cory is 3rd string. Happy Andy and Kyle aren't going. Don't want to risk any injuries so close to the season in this joke novelty of a tournament

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Leaving Tyler Johnson, Kessel, Shattenkirk, etc off the team in favor of the Johnsons on D, Dubinsky, etc makes no sense to me. I guess Tort and Co are banking on the goalies shutting out every game because they sure as hell don't have the horses for more than two goals a game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lombardi is GM of team, Holmgren/Burke were top advisors. At least Lombardi didn't force Dustin Brown onto the squad.
Oh my god, I was just thinking while I was driving around tonight. There's a few American born team captains on this team. Backes, Pacioretty (isn't he the Habs captain?) Parise and Callahan are former captains of NHL teams. Not that I think Parise and Pacioretty shouldn't be here, but no need for both of Backes and Callahan. Pick one or the other. Dustin Brown was stripped of the captaincy just hours before this roster comes out, or at least it was announced just hours before this roster was released. Coincidence?:laugh:
Well, Tortarella did put team U.S.A. together, so that explains Callahan, Dubinsky, and Jack Johnson
Ahh Torts, another lover of the grinders.
Hopefully Cory is 3rd string. Happy Andy and Kyle aren't going. Don't want to risk any injuries so close to the season in this joke novelty of a tournament

My only desire to see Cory as more than the third string is so he gets recognition as arguably the best American born goalie in the game right now.

Other than that, let him sit and stay fresh and healthy for the NHL season.

I've already discussed too many times why I hate this tournament not starting in late August and starting in mid September instead. Injuries to start players is another reason this tournament shouldn't be starting as late as it is. It used to start in late August when it was played many years ago, why the hell change it now? And push the NHL season start back a week.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Hard to root for Team USA when the roster is so poorly selected.

It's not even just that it's poorly selected it's so...outdated and myopic. Ignoring the fact Andy Greene's still blackballed atm (while Jack Johnson can stink and still have immunity cause they love him) and they didn't want to select Palmieri based on one good year - how on earth do you not take Kessel either?! It was one thing when he was putting up numbers on a bad team, but now he's contributing to a good team. And he's always had good playoff numbers too so it's not like you can't count on him in a big game. It's not like team USA's so talented they can concern themselves with the handedness of wingers or having two-way guys.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
It's not even just that it's poorly selected it's so...outdated and myopic. Ignoring the fact Andy Greene's still blackballed atm (while Jack Johnson can stink and still have immunity cause they love him) and they didn't want to select Palmieri based on one good year - how on earth do you not take Kessel either?! It was one thing when he was putting up numbers on a bad team, but now he's contributing to a good team. And he's always had good playoff numbers too so it's not like you can't count on him in a big game. It's not like team USA's so talented they can concern themselves with the handedness of wingers or having two-way guys.

I agree with you. I don't see why Team USA insists on bringing players like Abedelkader (might have misspelled that, ha ha) over Kessel. I just feel like they are making the same bad decisions they made when they picked the Sochi team only worse, so instead of learning from mistakes, they are blithely repeating them at a larger level. I don't know if I'm going to be able to cheer for a team that is nowhere close to being the best talent the USA could assemble for such a tournament. It would be one thing if this roster of grinders truly was the best team USA could assemble, but it isn't so it's just an embarrassment overall. :shakehead

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I agree with you. I don't see why Team USA insists on bringing players like Abedelkader (might have misspelled that, ha ha) over Kessel. I just feel like they are making the same bad decisions they made when they picked the Sochi team only worse, so instead of learning from mistakes, they are blithely repeating them at a larger level. I don't know if I'm going to be able to cheer for a team that is nowhere close to being the best talent the USA could assemble for such a tournament. It would be one thing if this roster of grinders truly was the best team USA could assemble, but it isn't so it's just an embarrassment overall. :shakehead

I actually thought Dean would be better at this and not make the Poile-type mistakes, but then again he did give Dustin Brown a zillion-year contract, and having Tort as a coach doesn't help.

But yeah it's like they think well Canada can get cute and take another LHD for the sake of it and have a checking line, why can't we? They just don't get that you can't fight fire with fire when you're not as good as the other team to begin with. Or approach it like the NHL playoffs as opposed to an All-Star tournament.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I actually thought Dean would be better at this and not make the Poile-type mistakes, but then again he did give Dustin Brown a zillion-year contract, and having Tort as a coach doesn't help.

But yeah it's like they think well Canada can get cute and take another LHD for the sake of it and have a checking line, why can't we? They just don't get that you can't fight fire with fire when you're not as good as the other team to begin with. Or approach it like the NHL playoffs as opposed to an All-Star tournament.

Yeah, I would've hoped for better decisions. I almost have the impression that instead of trying to pick the best players, Team USA brass overthink things and decide that a bunch of grinders is what we need to shut other teams down. We don't want to build a particularly skilled team ourselves, just hope to shut down teams that brought skilled players. Very underwhelming strategy for a best on best tournament. Shame we once again don't get to see anything close to a team of USA's best.

ChicoEatsNachos

Jan 14, 2016
Little Ferry NJ
Yeah, I would've hoped for better decisions. I almost have the impression that instead of trying to pick the best players, Team USA brass overthink things and decide that a bunch of grinders is what we need to shut other teams down. We don't want to build a particularly skilled team ourselves, just hope to shut down teams that brought skilled players. Very underwhelming strategy for a best on best tournament. Shame we once again don't get to see anything close to a team of USA's best.

I hate the part of hockey culture that denigrates actually having skill as soft and weak and unnecessary to success because games and tournaments are won through grit and guts and intangibles. The team USA roster was constructed with that kind of ass backward thinking. We don't need Phil Kessel's silly goals and game breaking offensive talent, we need Ryan Callahan's heart of a champion. Vomit.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I hate the part of hockey culture that denigrates actually having skill as soft and weak and unnecessary to success because games and tournaments are won through grit and guts and intangibles. The team USA roster was constructed with that kind of ass backward thinking. We don't need Phil Kessel's silly goals and game breaking offensive talent, we need Ryan Callahan's heart of a champion. Vomit.
THIS. A million times this. It's the type of thinking where Steve Ott gets more playoff ice time than Tarasenko and it's insane.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
It's fun to see NJ players play but any injury that would happen would be devastating. It's disappointing but at the same time I'm glad we don't have a lot of guys there. *It's also all political so who cares.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

I laughed because this is so true, and then I cried because it is so true. It's like a comedy and tragedy in one that many of America's best NHLers are left home so we can watch the grinderss try to grit their way to victory. Should be great entertainment. :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad