Jersey Shore
Continue!

2279837_1325201523270.29res_400_388.jpg

Last edited:

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Question about offer sheets. Is the amount that you offer sheet a player for the aav that you pay over the entire contract or over 5 years. Because Oilers are a little tight against the cap, so could we offer sheet Draistatl 14M for one year with a handshake agreement of a 9x8 in the next offseason and only have to give up like a 2nd round pick to get Draistatl if it 2.8x5. I remember hearing something about the compensation being over 5 years, but I am not sure if I am remembering this roght

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Question about offer sheets. Is the amount that you offer sheet a player for the aav that you pay over the entire contract or over 5 years. Because Oilers are a little tight against the cap, so could we offer sheet Draistatl 14M for one year with a handshake agreement of a 9x8 in the next offseason and only have to give up like a 2nd round pick to get Draistatl if it 2.8x5. I remember hearing something about the compensation being over 5 years, but I am not sure if I am remembering this roght

I think that's illegal. Sounds like collusion. Or perhaps that's not the right word to describe this. Plus, no matter whether you sign him for 1 year or 8, the team would be coughing up FOUR 1st round picks.

RememberTheName

Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I think that's illegal. Sounds like collusion. Or perhaps that's not the right word to describe this. Plus, no matter whether you sign him for 1 year or 8, the team would be coughing up FOUR 1st round picks.

No my question is, no matter what the term of the contract, does the AAV focus on the actual length of the contract or the AAV over 5 years

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
No my question is, no matter what the term of the contract, does the AAV focus on the actual length of the contract or the AAV over 5 years

The AAV focuses on the length of the contract up to five years. If it's over 5 years, it is divided by 5 instead of X number of years.

So a contract of Of 2 years, $14M total would have an AAV of $7M. A contract of 5 years, $35M, $7M AAV.

A contract of 7 years, $50M total, would have an AAV of $10M, because you're dividing the total by 5 instead of seven. The cap hit would still be whatever 50 divided by 7 is.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
For offer sheets equal to or under 5 years it's strictly the AAV of the contract.

For offer sheets over 5 years, it's the total owed money divided by 5.

RememberTheName

Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
The AAV focuses on the length of the contract up to five years. If it's over 5 years, it is divided by 5 instead of X number of years.

So a contract of Of 2 years, $14M total would have an AAV of $7M. A contract of 5 years, $35M, $7M AAV.

A contract of 7 years, $50M total, would have an AAV of $10M, because you're dividing the total by 5 instead of seven. The cap hit would still be whatever 50 divided by 7 is.

Ahh i see. Thanks for the help!

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
July 1st for the Sharks looks like it's gonna be sort of a throwback to July 1st of 2012 for us.

The Sharks are most likely a non-playoff team if both of Marleau and Thornton are gone. They can probably still get in with just one of them.

Who is gonna make up all the points you lose from them last year, even though Marleau isn't really more than a 50 point player anymore and Thornton had a down year compared to prior seasons? That **** head Boedker isn't gonna score 50 points to help ease the burden.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I wish offer sheets were more common. Would spice up things.

I agree, but maintaining a good relationship with other GMs is very important as well. However, I wish rival teams would offer sheet each others players more often. Like Devils offer sheeting Rangers and Flyers and Islanders.

The problem with that, is if the GM from those teams gets fired and goes elsewhere, that bad reputation is still maintained, rather than a clean slate.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can already see Marleau on the Rangers.

It annoyed me enough to have to see Dan Boyle play his final 2 years there, and I didn't even like Boyle nearly as much as Marleau.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
man 13 for mcdavid and prob close to 9 for drai 22 mil wrapped up in two players

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
That would be...what, 30 percent of the cap locked up?

even if Drai doesnt get 9 i would venture to say at least 20 mil is being split between those two. Chicago has Kane and Toews at 10.5 mil a piece. It might not catch up with EDM now but it will in the future. Just look at the hawks, they are struggling for depth at both forward and defense.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
even if Drai doesnt get 9 i would venture to say at least 20 mil is being split between those two. Chicago has Kane and Toews at 10.5 mil a piece. It might not catch up with EDM now but it will in the future. Just look at the hawks, they are struggling for depth at both forward and defense.

The Hawks at least won Cups before they handed out those massive deals.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I wish offer sheets were more common. Would spice up things.

Remember when Brian Burke and Kevin Lowe were going to have a fist fight in an abandoned barn for offer sheeting Dustin Penner?

At one point, Burke’s wife also overheard Burke on the phone, this time talking to Glen Sather of the Rangers, where Burke asked Sather to act as an intermediary to set up a fist fight between him and Lowe.

“It got a point where Kevin challenged me to a fight on a radio interview,†Burke told Jurksztowicz. “I’m like that’s not really how you challenge a guy to a fight. If you want to challenge a guy to a fight, you pick a place and a time and you show up. So I called Glen Sather and I said, ‘Look, this guy went on the radio and challenged me to a fight.’ I said, ‘I’m going to be at Lake Placid at the U.S. junior camp.†I gave him three dates. I told him I’d rent a barn and I’d pick the address and the time and I’d fight Kevin Lowe.

And you were serious, Jurksztowicz asked?

“Dead serious. It got to the point where Gary Bettman called me an and said, ‘I hear you guys are thinking about having a fight and if you do I’m going to suspend you both indefinitely.’ That’s how crazy it got between me and Kevin. He’s as stubborn as I am. And there’s no doubt in my mind if we had bumped into each other right about then, we would have fought. No question. He’s not afraid of me. We would have fought for sure. Anyway, my wife overhears this, I think I’m in the privacy of my backyard in California and my wife says, ‘You idiot. You’re going to fight this guy? Are you crazy? You’re a general manager. So it never ame to anything, never came close to it.â€Â

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...n-lowe-in-a-barn-but-bettman-put-an-end-to-it

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio

Chicago got away with it with a few years of excellent drafting, shrewd trades, and cap manipulation. The only thing Edmonton has going for it in this case is their players are younger, so you can rely on McDavid and Draisaitl more than you can on Toews and Kane currently.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I agree, but maintaining a good relationship with other GMs is very important as well. However, I wish rival teams would offer sheet each others players more often. Like Devils offer sheeting Rangers and Flyers and Islanders.

The problem with that, is if the GM from those teams gets fired and goes elsewhere, that bad reputation is still maintained, rather than a clean slate.

The player has to accept the offer sheet as well. Brian Gionta mentioned he turned down overtures while we were dealing with cap issues in 2006. A player and/or his agent could use a potential offer sheet as leverage as well.

I'm not even worried about retaliation offer sheets or having a bad reputation. I'd be much more worried about raising the expectations within the locker room. Last offseason, I remember arguing with a Sabres fan who suggested they offer sheet Hampus Lindholm but remained incredulous that it would have any effect on Buffalo's negotiations with its own RFA Rasmus Ristolainen. Ie, he suggested giving Lindholm 7 million, but would expect Ristolainen to sign for 5 and not suddenly expect more.

Most GMs admit that offer sheets are fair game. But as the rules are written (you have to have your own draft choices), it's really difficult to find a case where it's worth the effort. Most teams would rather just work out a straight trade. San Jose probably could have gotten Martin Jones cheaper from the Bruins via offer sheet, but a trade kept everybody happy (and removed the possibility of Boston matching). But that was one scenario where I thought an offer sheet made sense. San Jose had previously tried the offer sheet route with Niklas Hjalmarsson.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Bettman's no fun :P

I think the Sharks sheeting Hjalmarsson had a hidden benefit as the Hawks had to walk away from Niemi who the Sharks scooped up. They probably would rather have had Hjalmarsson but they probably figured in the back of their mind they might be able to maneuver the Hawks out of Niemi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad