News and notes XXXX: Mascot is in their place cuz its Anniversary season time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
And I believe that as a PTO with few options and coming off a season where he was largely in the press box in Carolina, Stepan will be a healthy extra quite a bit this season. I don't expect to see him on the ice a huge amount barring short-term injuries.

He's a good veteran to have in the press box in case of emergency. I certainly don't want to put a prospect in the press box most nights.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
And I believe that as a PTO with few options and coming off a season where he was largely in the press box in Carolina, Stepan will be a healthy extra quite a bit this season. I don't expect to see him on the ice a huge amount barring short-term injuries.

He's a good veteran to have in the press box in case of emergency. I certainly don't want to put a prospect in the press box most nights.
This. He came to accept that role last year. Sure he would like to play more but he won't be a distraction like some would.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Aho did an interview for a finnish website. Talks about how he hired a shooting coach to help improve his shot. Not a bad piece.

Did he hire a...... Finish coach? To help him with his...... Finish?

So what D starts in the press box?

Chatfield and?

I'm guessing we will have to endure the misery that is watching Bear skate around, and give the puck away or simply do nothing with it for 2m.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm holding out hope that they can get a Bear trade worked out and bring him up imminently. And while I like Stepan well enough, I don't think I would have brought him in over keeping Drury. Drury's the better player at this point, and I don't think it's particularly close.
This is now I feel. Drury would be doing more than Stepan imo. I guess the only real argument is that maybe Drury stagnates with limited fourth line minutes when he can be working on pro level offense as a top six or three guy in Chicago.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham

I ran out of forwards and put in the Smile.. Defensemen were like 5 I wanted then I filled 1 in and Ithat's the slot I expect the most variance..
Goalies there are only 2 correct answers for the 2 spots..

Edit: I choose the 5 D w/o having to think. The last one was I could make a case for 3. I don't dislike my choices but Forwards I had I think 8 w/o issue stretched to 11 and then Radical LaRose.. And no he doesn't really belong..

Last edited:
Reactions: AD Skinner

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
This is now I feel. Drury would be doing more than Stepan imo. I guess the only real argument is that maybe Drury stagnates with limited fourth line minutes when he can be working on pro level offense as a top six or three guy in Chicago.

Could be that the Borg is looking at the entire season and not just the immediate term. They might feel that over the course of the season they'll need both Drury and Stepan. Drury is waiver exempt, Stepan is not, so . . .

Or, I wonder if "politics" might have played a role? If they wanted to ink Stepan all along but couldn't due to cap issues, and he was willing to come in and get started with the team under a PTO and then sign for league minimum, maybe they felt they owed him more than exposing him to waivers?

All speculation on my part, of course.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Maybe its a coincidence... maybe not....

But its worth pointing out the Stadium Series is listed in Silver here and the Reverse Retro seems to be the darker red/maroon that was used on the sublimated flag pattern of the current whites/previous reds.

HomeSchedule.png

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Interesting! A silver Canes jersey would certainly work for the Stadium Series vibe, and black and red should pop far better on gray than the whalers scheme did.

Also, a reverse retro in that maroon- I may go from buying no jerseys since the OG generation to buying two or three in a year (new job with a decent salary hike helps there too).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So was reading the Hanna Yates article on the Canes website and saw this and though it was noteworthy.

"about six years ago, when I first graduated from college, I was visiting a family friend with my dad who had a connection. He was a part of the board here at PNC Arena and he knew that I wanted to get into hockey.

So he said, "Why don't we just reach out to the Canes organization and see if someone would be willing to speak with you and give you some insight on steps to take just to get your foot into the hockey world?" And so of course I was like, "Yeah, if someone's willing to do that I would love it."

Don Waddell volunteered to do it.

He gave me a tour of the arena, then we sat in the stands on our own after practice. He just kind of talked to me about like, my goals and dreams in the broadcast industry and then gave me some insight on hey, you know, here's the type of people you could talk to to break in, here's what you can do to build a reel, different things that we look for when we're hiring and stuff.

Fast-forward six years and now here we are. It's all very surreal.

I wasn't trying to get any specific job at the time, there wasn't an opening, but I just wanted to pick as many brains as I could and see if someone was willing to talk to me. He was super friendly and helped me a lot."

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So was reading the Hanna Yates article on the Canes website and saw this and though it was noteworthy.

"about six years ago, when I first graduated from college, I was visiting a family friend with my dad who had a connection. He was a part of the board here at PNC Arena and he knew that I wanted to get into hockey.

So he said, "Why don't we just reach out to the Canes organization and see if someone would be willing to speak with you and give you some insight on steps to take just to get your foot into the hockey world?" And so of course I was like, "Yeah, if someone's willing to do that I would love it."

He gave me a tour of the arena, then we sat in the stands on our own after practice. He just kind of talked to me about like, my goals and dreams in the broadcast industry and then gave me some insight on hey, you know, here's the type of people you could talk to to break in, here's what you can do to build a reel, different things that we look for when we're hiring and stuff.

I wasn't trying to get any specific job at the time, there wasn't an opening, but I just wanted to pick as many brains as I could and see if someone was willing to talk to me. He was super friendly and helped me a lot."
I don’t know how anyone could dislike Donny W.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City

Yeah. She told that on the 1 hour pregame of opening night. Pretty good of DW. Wonder who the board member was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad