News Article: News and Notes XXV: Higher than the Highest Boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Death Star hot taek

JStaalo sets NHL records for goals, assists, shots, hits, points, penalty minutes and Corsi and is so dominant the Oilers fans might be convinced to give up a 2nd and Mark Letestu for him

Edm fans would say while setting points records Staal did not set a +- record or get a selke and is a defensive liability. Therefore they would offer Lucic and a 3rd for Staal and a 2nd while repeatedly saying Nurse >>>>Faulk, irrelevantly.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I wonder of Saku Maenalanen (24). There's an article in the Finnpress about Juuso Riikola (24) breaking into the Penguins roster, and he comments that AHL can't be the target for a player of his age. He's there starting in the 1st pair with Letang and hobnobbing with Crosby and Malkin now, while Maenalanen is going to Charlotte.

They guys had a disturbingly similar situation coming to NA, with both having signed a one year NHL contract after several years in SM-Liiga. (The one-year ELC obviously directly comes from the CBA stipulations for a player of that age). Gotta wonder if Maenalanen is looking back to SML (or KHL) if it doesn't look like he's going to break into the NHL latest in the spring.

Juuso Riikola at eliteprospects.com
Saku Mäenalanen at eliteprospects.com

Juuso Riikola - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Saku Maenalanen - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Next year at 25 with a year gone from his signing he won't be waiver-exempt either. If they offer him a contract (one-way or two-way) and if he signs one, he'll be up for grabs for other teams if he doesn't make the Canes roster. Asking for an European Assignment clause in case for if he clear the waivers and could be set down to Charlotte might become tempting for him, but giving one not so for the Canes.

I see a likelihood of a trade in the spring if there's a team that has more pressing need for him.

Though there is obviously the

"Saku is a big, strong winger who can really skate," said Waddell. "Our scouting staff has been tracking this player for a long time. He had options when it came to where he would start his NHL career, and we're pleased he has chosen Carolina."

Joni being hellbent on a guy is not a bad thing I guess.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Scoring 45 points while playing center and matching up against top lines every night is probably only worth 2 million dollars per.

You have to understand the southern market to hockey market exchange rate when it comes to player evaluation. This roughly translates to one line or pairing tier subtracted as well as the liability the hockey market team assumes via the player's negative traits.

For example if Jordan Staal is a 2C in Carolina then he is a 3C in Edmonton who, since he is a black hole offensively, must be offset by roughly $3 million in player salary allocated to the third line to make up for his lost offense. If Faulk is a #2 or #3 D in Carolina, then he is a #4 or #5 in Edmonton, with the obvious adjusted salary liablity of needing to allocate an additional $3 million to his defensive pairing to make up for his lack of defensive aptitude, which is clearly amongst the worst the game has ever seen

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So I was reading some of the "Ask Away" segments on WRAL. This quote by Dundon kind of caught my eye.

"I think the hardest thing is I had one job pretty much my whole life. I worked with the same people and grew up with folks that started in their young 20s. Everyone knew how things needed to be done and how they were going to be done, and it wasn't a debate," Dundon said. "You get here, and people are questioning, whether to your face or behind your back, if you know what you're talking about. So that was hard for me."

"Did you (know what you're talking about)?" Gold asked.

"I don't know," Dundon said. "But I know if I mess it up, I'll fix it. I'm not going to say I'll do it right the first time every time. That was hard for me. I wasn't used to so many, such a hard time having to explain myself versus people maybe giving me a little bit of a benefit of the doubt, which is fine. It's life. I hadn't earned it to them."

I wonder if he was talking about the hockey world in general, or people within the Canes organization with the "behind your back" comment? Maybe both?

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
"I think the hardest thing is I had one job pretty much my whole life.

Maybe I have been watching the Kavanaugh hearings too much. But TD's statement directly contradicts the answer he gave when he said he had the option to relinquish his ownership stake after 3 years. I don't remember the exact quote, but it was something like "I have that option in all my businesses." So is it one job or multiple businesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad