News Article: News and Notes XXV: Higher than the Highest Boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Can't complain. He's not going to blow the doors off and steal the starting job or anything, but he's a guy we can trust that will not completely crap the bed if called upon.

Let's be honest our "starters" aren't going to either. At least we have an NHL backup. I don't know much about him, but Ned isn't ready. That could be a disaster if he had to start any significant number of games.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That doesn't make sense. McElhinney or Pickard are both better options at the NHL level than Ned right now. Every point counts, and I don't want to ride Mrazek too hard or have Ned lose us winnable games.

I don't disagree with you, but the other side of things is maybe there's something that Rod and Bales saw and really liked out of Ned in the pre-season. Personally I see McBackup as a no-harm/no-foul waiver claim where if he clears in 2 weeks when Darling's back we're fine, and if he doesn't we're fine. Dansk had already cleared this preseason and Lyon's injured so we were prettymuch out of options beside McBackup/Picard.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
McElhinney might actually have a chance to come in here and play an increased workload if mrazek falters out of the gate. this is a chance you rarely get at 35. with the uncertainty surrounding our goaltending, it'll be incredibly nice to have a luxury like this. plus, his salary is so relatively insignificant that the idea of carrying 3 goalies for a time isn't impossible if we end up in a situation where we'd need to do it.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I just like the fact that I can now use a trove of Always Sunny gifs and memes before Darls comes back

tumblr_o3hguxtg0c1qiohboo7_r1_400.gif

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I don't disagree with you, but the other side of things is maybe there's something that Rod and Bales saw and really liked out of Ned in the pre-season. Personally I see McBackup as a no-harm/no-foul waiver claim where if he clears in 2 weeks when Darling's back we're fine, and if he doesn't we're fine. Dansk had already cleared this preseason and Lyon's injured so we were prettymuch out of options beside McBackup/Picard.

Also, if they decide to hang onto the waiver claim for a bit as a healthy extra when Darling first comes back, it will probably go over better with the 35 year old McBackup.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I mostly love this move because Toronto fans are in full-blown panic mode after losing all their organizational goaltending depth.

Having said that, the fact these guys were chosen by PHI and CAR -- two organizations with a combined *zero* ability to evaluate goaltending talent -- probably means they both suck.

Yet somehow, I feel better about our goaltending than I did last week. Ooof.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Can’t say I’ve ever paid attention to McElhinney. Maybe BBA can give us a rundown.

Not really. Only watched a handful of games he played in and never really paid much attention to him. Nothing stood out in a bad way and he seemed to be a capable back-up.

Seems like a good insurance policy for when Darling is hurt. If Mrazek struggles, he's a vet that should provide some stability (I hope).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I mostly love this move because Toronto fans are in full-blown panic mode after losing all their organizational goaltending depth.

Having said that, the fact these guys were chosen by PHI and CAR -- two organizations with a combined *zero* ability to evaluate goaltending talent -- probably means they both suck.

Yet somehow, I feel better about our goaltending than I did last week. Ooof.

Toronto will probably have the chance to claim one or both of them back in a couple of weeks.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Sounds like today’s lines are:

Ferland - Aho - TT
Foegele - Staal - Williams
McGinn - Necas - Zykov
Martinook - Wallmark - Svech

If you put aside the fact that Svech is on the 4th line, the top 9 is pleasant from a line construction perspective.

Y'know. I think Roddy is still tossing stuff together. He knows as well as anyone that all 13 forwards and all 7 d-men are going to have to play in every possible combination between now and Game 82. There will be injuries, major/misconduct penalties, call-ups, etc., and changes will be made out of necessity. It will be a good thing for him to know who has looked good together and who hasn't. Over the course of the season, everyone's going to line up with everyone, so why not give every combo a look in preseason.

If, in fact, Svech starts on the fourth line, it'll be because that's where he belongs based on his play in preseason. He won't be slotted higher based on where we drafted him. Isn't this what we've been hoping for all along? Merit-based lineups? Well, it works both ways. Svech will still get PP time and he'll probably earn a bump up after a few weeks, but I don't get the fuss.

My only issue with the top 9 above is Zykov playing his off-wing. I'd probably switch him and Ferland, but honestly, I think any of our LWs (Foegele, Ferland, Zykov, McGinn) can be successful playing with Aho-TT. It'll be Roddy's challenge to figure out which one makes that line the best it can be.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I really don't think this team is going to have a "fourth line" as we are used to seeing. We don't have a mcclement or malhotra or Kruger type player to anchor one. I think other than whoever is flanking Staal getting most of the defensive shifts the other three lines will be used pretty equally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad