News Article: News and Notes XXIV - ZOMG The Athletic Carolinas Incoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Wow, took me a while to catch up...1st on the Whalers thing:

#ForgiveAndForget - as in, I'm not salty at all about New Englanders that are upset about the whole Hartford move thing. I feel bad for them because I know how I felt when the "Canes out of Carolina" rumors were rampant. So I can understand and forgive that anger and pissiness. In fact, I think we should let bygones by bygones in that regard.

The Forget part I don't want to do is forget that this franchise was, indeed, once the Whalers. I appreciate those of you who have that history and respect it. I especially think this whole thing would be cool if we honored those Whalers's players that actually made the trek down to Carolina, you know, sort of "...loaded up the truck and left for Beverly, er, uh, Raleigh (or Greensboro)...". That would be a neat thing to do in my mind.

And I'm also of similar mind to BBA....I think it's kind of interesting, kind of nice....like the logo and stuff, but it's mostly for the folks for which it matters. I'm a Hurricanes fan and that's what got me back into hockey. The rest is all just background music....oh, and my dick comes with its own bag. So why would I need to order another...

Yeah if a deal were to happen it would be Pesce +.

I spoke to this on a main board thread....you've got the add on the wrong side. Not because Pesce is more valuable...I'd even say that Nylander is a bit more of a skilled player. But Pesce plays the more valuable position and is signed for an absolute gem of a contract...a contract that would go a long way to solving some of Toronto's pending cap woes. Plus, Nylander isn't signed so you'd be trading for either an unsigned Nylander or a Nylander that you're likely paying $7 million a year. Advantage Carolina.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Yeah, your hotwife.

giphy.gif

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I spoke to this on a main board thread....you've got the add on the wrong side. Not because Pesce is more valuable...I'd even say that Nylander is a bit more of a skilled player. But Pesce plays the more valuable position and is signed for an absolute gem of a contract...a contract that would go a long way to solving some of Toronto's pending cap woes. Plus, Nylander isn't signed so you'd be trading for either an unsigned Nylander or a Nylander that you're likely paying $7 million a year. Advantage Carolina.

I'm not sure I agree with this @NotOpie. I do agree the contract comes into play, but it depends on where you see Nylander slotted. I know he's not proven, but has a lot more experience in the past playing C than Aho does, and if that's how you view him, Pesce doesn't play a more valuable position.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I'm not sure I agree with this @NotOpie. I do agree the contract comes into play, but it depends on where you see Nylander slotted. I know he's not proven, but has a lot more experience in the past playing C than Aho does, and if that's how you view him, Pesce doesn't play a more valuable position.
I take your point, buy Nylander has little to no NHL experience at C. He's almost exclusively been used at RW....or at least he's been much more successful there. In the end, this is contrasting Pesce's value with Nylander's. Aho's experience doesn't really come into play...unless you want to point out that in another, high level professional league he had significant success. But I think all of that muddies the argument.

So I'd still say, Pesce plays the more valuable position, has the much better contract (unless you believe WN will live up to a $7 million+ contract), and has already played Top pairing minutes. I think the difference isn't big, but I still feel pretty strongly that Toronto adds a noticeable piece if Pesce is going the other way.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Someone has to carry the banner.

And I of course never mean any disrespect to the actual Mrs. BBA, I am sure she is a very lovely, very attractive lady. :)

Oh, no worries. Mrs. BBA is well aware of the forum 26 hotwife joke. She laughs at my expense as much as you guys do

(I know that's a hanging curve right there).

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
As far as people saying the canes own the logo....do they?

Hartford got the rights for 20 years, which expired. Does that make it fair game to anyone? For some reason I thought maybe the league got it the rights, but that’s a thought from 20 years ago.

And I kinda agree with cptjeff. I would’ve been more than satisfied with them selling the jerseys in the store, wearing them in two regular season games is a little strong. Though I’m still ok with it, I get where Jeff is coming from.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
We still have other parts of Hartford left on the team. Is anybody offended by our goal horn or John?

Both the goal horn and John have been with the Canes 15 years longer than they were with the Whalers. It’s a little different.

The horn was 5 years before the move, John was with the team in PR but only became the play by play guy in the last couple of years.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Personnel who stay with the team and team equipment that gets move is a great deal different than the branding and locally based identity. When a team moves, you get a team and a bunch of team related stuff with it, including players and broadcasters, but it's exceptionally rare to keep anything resembling the same brand. I don't have a problem with Forslund the same way I don't have a problem with Glen Wesley. But there ain't never been Whalers in North Carolina. Leave that dead and buried, at least as far as the active play of the team is concerned.

On the note of ownership, if you look up the trademarks on the USPTO website, they all seem to be dead. So anyone can sell any Hartford Whalers gear they want, I guess.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Personnel who stay with the team and team equipment that gets move is a great deal different than the branding and locally based identity. When a team moves, you get a team and a bunch of team related stuff with it, including players and broadcasters, but it's exceptionally rare to keep anything resembling the same brand. I don't have a problem with Forslund the same way I don't have a problem with Glen Wesley. But there ain't never been Whalers in North Carolina. Leave that dead and buried, at least as far as the active play of the team is concerned.

On the note of ownership, if you look up the trademarks on the USPTO website, they all seem to be dead. So anyone can sell any Hartford Whalers gear they want, I guess.

Wasn't there that legal case brewing just over that? I vaguely remember doing a gdt.

edit: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/whalers-trademark-lawsuit-law-order-sound.2442553/

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...-nhl-vs-jay-kennette-media-group-llc.2442565/

As of April 6th, 2018 looks like Jay Kennette abandoned their attempted registration oof the trademark as the result of Carolina Hurricanes opposition to it:

Trademark Status & Document Retrieval

"Abandoned after an inter partes decision by the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. For further information, see TTABVUE on the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board web page"

USPTO TTABVUE. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Inquiry System

I don't think just anyone can sell HW merch, Hurricanes has a legit claim to the IP the very least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad