Status
Not open for further replies.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
From her profile:

Sara Civian is a fourth line appreciator who just moved back to Boston. Before WEEI.com, she covered the Penguins for DKPittsburghSports, but you might've seen her Bruins coverage on Boston.com, Bruins Daily and/or SB Nation. She's a member of Pittsburgh's PHWA chapter, and they let her stay for some reason. She was the managing editor of Onward State in her glory days at Penn State.
Great, another damn yankee :shakehead

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Yeah, I saw that comment as well. Almost exactly the same comment he made at the end of last year if my memory is correct. He seems to be going out of his way to not deny it without admitting it either. Having had alcoholics in the family, a slip off the wagon is not uncommon. So hopefully if it happened, it was a learning experience that he can use to build up a better and stronger foundation for his future.

Yes. Doesn’t Ferland have some prior issues as well? Hopefully he’ll be able to bond with and help Darling too if this was the case.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Another Athletic related piece on Darling's offseason:

Pretty good article from Burnside. What stood out to me was he lost 25-30 pounds and reduced his body fat by 7-8%. Hope all of that helps.

How Scott Darling Spent the Offseason
good for Scott. I hope his hard work pays off this season, not just because I like the local hockey team and want them to succeed, but I think seeing good results from that kind of work can really cement good habits going forward. and it's not like he is some entitled golden boy who's had everything handed to them. he's done it the hard way every step in his career.

I didn't really see a significant uptick in his play in the one (1) game of his I watched this preseason, but I'm definitely rooting for him. it might take him being a backup for the first part of the season to begin to stack good results. hope it all works out for him somehow.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
also if I knew Scott I'd tell him not to read too much into the camel groaning as he walked up. I rode a camel in Egypt (see my Actual Avatar) and they're generally just a whiny type of trotter. they don't have the best life of any animal in the planet but they do ok. especially around the pyramids where they get all the work they can handle, and are cared for by some of the most industrious, insanely pushy touts I've ever seen.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
From her profile:

Sara Civian is a fourth line appreciator who just moved back to Boston. Before WEEI.com, she covered the Penguins for DKPittsburghSports, but you might've seen her Bruins coverage on Boston.com, Bruins Daily and/or SB Nation. She's a member of Pittsburgh's PHWA chapter, and they let her stay for some reason. She was the managing editor of Onward State in her glory days at Penn State.

I hate her already.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The new Canes writer at The Athletic is Sara Civian.

Twitter history is a little too yeety for my taste.

Looks like "big social media following" was at the top of The Athletic's priority list. Reinforces my opinion that this hire is more for outside fans interested in reading a few Canes articles rather than a person dedicated to writing articles for Canes fans.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Boychuk follows everyone in hopes they’ll return the favour. He follows one of my friends who barely even uses twitter, isn’t a canes fan and lives in Ottawa. How he came across him I don’t know.
I'm aware of that. Just using him as a point that someone with 10k followers is nothing compared to how many Boychuk has. I just disagree with saying they hired someone with a big social media following.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Twitter history is a little too yeety for my taste.

Looks like "big social media following" was at the top of The Athletic's priority list. Reinforces my opinion that this hire is more for outside fans interested in reading a few Canes articles rather than a person dedicated to writing articles for Canes fans.

Which doesn't make much sense. I have to imagine it's better overall to have someone who knows the team, with the opportunity to grow an audience (like Cory, for example), than to have someone who has an established audience for a completely different market.

I doubt much of her Pittsburgh/Boston audience is going to follow her articles on the Canes.

It'd be like if I was hired to cover the Leafs. I could fake it for a while, and eventually, I'd know enough about the current team/organization to write decent articles. But they'd be better off hiring someone who actually follows the team from the get-go.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I doubt much of her Pittsburgh/Boston audience is going to follow her articles on the Canes.
Yes. Like Michelle McMahon...I thought she was worth following when she was connected to the Canes. When she moved on, I didn't unfollow immediately, but did once I became bored with the subject matter she had moved on to.

I'd imagine many of the people that follow her now will unfollow. EDIT: her = Sara Civian

Last edited:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I came here to be critical of The Athletic for their hire, but that wouldn't be fair to Sara Civian. I'm just going to say that I wish her well, and if she produces any content that we can't get already, I'm sure I'll subscribe.

Full disclosure: I contacted The Athletic, they requested clips, and I had a phone interview for the position. I knew it was a longshot since I've been out of the business for a long time, but I wanted to at least go on the record with my thoughts on what type of writer would connect best with our very unique market. They seemed very open to what I had to say and said in an email that they enjoyed our conversation and appreciated my perspective.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
309.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad