News and Notes XXI: The Dog Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Here's the link to the article mentioned above if anyone's interested: https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9696349

AMco4oQ.png

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, I didn't see him much, but it was widely reported McKeown struggled in his first year down there. I don't look at it as a bad thing though because that's what the AHL is for. To work on your game in a less stringent environment. Will be interesting to see how he does this season.

Re-enforces what we saw from / heard about Fleury though.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yeah, I didn't see him much, but it was widely reported McKeown struggled in his first year down there. I don't look at it as a bad thing though because that's what the AHL is for. To work on your game in a less stringent environment. Will be interesting to see how he does this season.

Re-enforces what we saw from / heard about Fleury though.

....and from all reports, McKeown rounded into form later into the season. Ulf mixed and matched his lines and linemates quite a bit apparently. Sometimes to good effect and other times, not so much. From my viewings of Fleury, he looked steady, unperturbed, in charge of most situations that he faced. While he is an impressive skater, that wrist shot of his is pretty darn dangerous. He seemed to gain control of it in the last quarter of the season.

Reactions: Unsustainable

2 12 oz Drinks

Or Less
Nov 1, 2011
United States
Is there something going on behind the scenes? I find it strange the Penguins want to be rid of Kessel.

Apparently he and Tocchet were tight. IIRC he hasn't exactly been incredible but not sure who you'd replace him with. I feel like its probably worth taking with a grain of salt, as most trade rumors are

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Apparently he and Tocchet were tight. IIRC he hasn't exactly been incredible but not sure who you'd replace him with. I feel like its probably worth taking with a grain of salt, as most trade rumors are

It's not. The site that it originated from, Insidepittsburghsports, is utterly and totally unreliable and isn't considered a legitimate source on the Trade board.

2 12 oz Drinks

Or Less
Nov 1, 2011
United States
The amount of salt you'd need to take with that rumor would have to be measured in metric tons. I should have said it's a rumor not worth putting any credence to given that the soruce is less reliable than Eklund.

Ah well that settles that. I only saw it once it was on the NBC sports page

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
JR seems quite proud of the Kessel trade and probably could give a flying fornication about whether or not Malkin is fussy about his linemates. Nothing to see here.

Here's what Rutherford said today.

“Phil Kessel is an important part of the Penguins,†continued Rutherford. “I mean, he gets a lot of points, he scores big goals, he sets up big goals. The more impact players that you have like we have, the better chance you have of winning. It may not be on a regular basis, but it may come at a certain time in a series or whatnot just like it did against Ottawa. Kessel come up and got a big goal in the 1-0 game.

“He’s an important part. I don’t want to sit here and say that a certain player is not going to get traded at some point in his career – I mean, Phil already did. But that’s not something I foresee happening right now.â€

He also said they have allotted about $2M for the 3C they are looking for.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
So, apropos of nothing (it's the offseason), but somehow I wound up on the HHoF page with Stanley Cup mistakes earlier today, and I found an odd stat: We have had three different players play for us whose names were misspelled on the Stanley Cup (even though all were corrected): Eric Staaal, Manny Lagase, and Kris Vertseeg. Only 4 players have been misspelled since the 70s, and of the four, only Adam Deadmarch hasn't played for the Canes.

No other team outside the original 6 that I can find can match that: The Habs had four, with Plante, Gainey, Pete Palangio, and Gaye Stewart. The Leafs have had three, with Stewart, Plante, and Versteeg. The Wings had Delvecchio, Stewart, and Palangio. The Hawks had Versteeg, Stewart, and Palangio.

Just thought I'd share.

Reactions: Unsustainable
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad