News and Notes XVI: RF's Vision Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
"Finland’s Sebastian Aho, center, and Canada’s Morgan Rilles"

lol

Note the photographer is Russian. Photographers generally can't spell worth a crap anyway, involve translations and you're gonna see a lot of goofy stuff.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Think we'll sign Wesley? :sarcasm:

What's his outlook anyway? 6th/7th guy? If he's anything like his old man seems like he'd at least be a guy you could call up and know he won't get you killed back there. Assuming that Jordan is gone, mainly because I can't conceive of any reason they would want to keep him.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
What's his outlook anyway? 6th/7th guy? If he's anything like his old man seems like he'd at least be a guy you could call up and know he won't get you killed back there. Assuming that Jordan is gone, mainly because I can't conceive of any reason they would want to keep him.

From what I can gather he's a 6/7....in Charlotte.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Play for the hurricanes - get a job for life.

Every other team in the league does the exact same thing. It's not illogical, either. If you play in the NHL for a decade or so, you tend to get a bit of an idea of what to watch for in hockey players. And if you know a team's management well, as players do, you know how they think and what traits they're looking for in building a team.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If Pitkanen really did sell the Canes on Aho (As suggested on the MB) then I would offer him a job ASAP too. Aho is vying for the Canes' best steal in recent history which is saying a lot when you have Faulk, Slavin, Rask, and Pesce in the mix.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
If I remember correctly John and Tripp frequently spoke about how Joni was a student of the game and watched a ton of games.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If Pitkanen really did sell the Canes on Aho (As suggested on the MB) then I would offer him a job ASAP too. Aho is vying for the Canes' best steal in recent history which is saying a lot when you have Faulk, Slavin, Rask, and Pesce in the mix.

Difference between recognizing talent and helping develop talent though. As good as Pitkanen was, he never struck me as the type that was technically sound and depended a lot on his size and skating to get around more than fundamentals. The guys on the staff now (Brindy, Wesley, Stillman) were all players that thrived on fundamentals and had a solid base to fall back on when things didn't go right. I always thought that was why Pitkanen was kind of up-and-down as a player, when he was going good things were great, but when he was going bad he was just a total disaster and didn't even look like he was playing the same game as everybody else.

I admit I could be completely off-base with this, it's just always the impression I had of him that he leaned mostly on natural ability.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Difference between recognizing talent and helping develop talent though. As good as Pitkanen was, he never struck me as the type that was technically sound and depended a lot on his size and skating to get around more than fundamentals. The guys on the staff now (Brindy, Wesley, Stillman) were all players that thrived on fundamentals and had a solid base to fall back on when things didn't go right. I always thought that was why Pitkanen was kind of up-and-down as a player, when he was going good things were great, but when he was going bad he was just a total disaster and didn't even look like he was playing the same game as everybody else.

I admit I could be completely off-base with this, it's just always the impression I had of him that he leaned mostly on natural ability.

Well he's a scout so he just has to recognize talent. Seems like a good fit.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Need to get him locked up long-term.

The most recent comparable I can find is Toffoli, he got 2 years, 6.5 million as an RFA last summer after a 23-goal, 49-point season. Would be nice to lock up Rask for 4-5 years, if possible, 3.25m/avg. seems like a steal to me.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I'd like a 6 year deal for Rask, though we are going to be getting hit hard in a few years with all of our young talent needing contracts

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Agreed i rather avoid a bridge contact for a guy like Rask that way at the end of 2-3 years were going to have to give him a significant pay bump(Depending on performance of course), and on top of that having to lock up our group of young d-men around the same time. Could turn into a clusterEff.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I for one am glad to hear that. Getting more dmen opens up more possibilities. Getting a guy like that while giving up nothing would have been nice. Nice to see after nabbing Ryan last year and coming close on Nakladal last year that we are in on these types of guys.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Need to get him locked up long-term.

The most recent comparable I can find is Toffoli, he got 2 years, 6.5 million as an RFA last summer after a 23-goal, 49-point season. Would be nice to lock up Rask for 4-5 years, if possible, 3.25m/avg. seems like a steal to me.

A 4 year extension takes Rask to unrestricted free agency, I believe. A 5 year extension, thus, only buys out a year of unrestricted free agency. If a long-term extension is the direction the talks go in, I think GMRF would be wise to go for more in the way of team control (6-7 years.)

Thinking of a long-term 2nd contract, a comparable Middle 6 center is Nick Bjugstad.

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/882

Adam Henrique works as well.

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1251

I wouldn't be upset with 6 years, $24-$25 mil for Rask.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
A 4 year extension takes Rask to unrestricted free agency, I believe. A 5 year extension, thus, only buys out a year of unrestricted free agency. If a long-term extension is the direction the talks go in, I think GMRF would be wise to go for more in the way of team control (6-7 years.)

Thinking of a long-term 2nd contract, a comparable Middle 6 center is Nick Bjugstad.

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/882

Adam Henrique works as well.

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1251

I wouldn't be upset with 6 years, $24-$25 mil for Rask.

To me, the perfect deal for both parties is 5 years at $22 million. It gets us cost certainty for a while and slots the contract renegotiation a couple of years after Faulk's. 4 years would work too. If I'm Victor I want to hit UFA status (or renewal with the Canes) when I'm 28 and still have some prime years left. If he proves to be a consistent mid 50 point guy, his next contract would easily get him $6 million per.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad