News and Notes Thread VIII: The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The year he earned the 2 year deal, Chad was a solid player. He was a lot of different things with the team over his career. Starting as pest, to forecheck/defense/pk/pest, to forecheck/defense/pest/PK/15g+, then 15g+/Defensive Liability. then just Defensive liability.

I'd guess it was aging/injury that slowed him down. I wonder sometimes, if taking a year off and getting your body right would be a good move for some in the NHL. Guess Chad will make an interesting test case on that front.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This is still predicated on him still "having it"

And if he "has it" and signs for cheap, there are worse (and more expensive) options out there.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Remember when Oskar Osala was penciled onto the third line by half this board? Good times.

As someone said earlier, line combinations are a wee bit out of the fan's jurisdiction.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Never even heard of this guy. Apparently he was a Cane?

If memory serves, the first time we traded Corvo, it was to Washington, for Brian Pothier, Oskar Osala, and maybe a pick. He played like two games, but had decent stats for the Checkers, and was like 6'5" so everybody penciled him into a bottom six role. Then he bolted to the KHL. Oh, and he was Finnish, and was acquired during the middle of the Joni/Jussi/Tom Screen bromance.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Yep, came over the first time we traded Corvo, I believe. Played a couple of games for us after the deadline and looked pretty good, a raw power-forward type. Definitely had it in him to make it to the 4th line the next year. Spent a year in Charlotte without dressing for the big club then went overseas.

I believe we still own his rights, correct? Did I hear somewhere that he's made some decent strides in his game? Could be a decent NHLer sometime down the road...

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Osala passed through at a time when we truly were the graveyard of young talent in terms of calling guys up for limited opportunities and then shuffling them unceremoniously back to Charlotte. In truth, we've never had a coach that really *liked* to incorporate young talent into our group. Maurice and Laviolette are both guys that want a certain type of player that's pretty specific and Kirk just had no idea what he wanted. I'm still convinced we've left some players on the board in not giving them a chance. Dadonov was another. Loktionov is looking like another. I even feel Dalpe had something more to give us. He got smushed in a Tortarella system last year but somehow stayed up for a big chunk of games.

At some point we have to give prospects who are showing well in Charlotte a chance to do it up here no matter if they're first round picks or not. We seem to *force* high picks into position to have success rather than let it happen homogeneously. If we showed half that level of commitment to guys who actually have NHL jump in their game then we might be better for it.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

If I recall correctly, he took a shift or two with Brind'Amour a few years back at the end of another failed season, and he held his own, only to never be heard from again...

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
4th line center, Nick Dodge.

To this day I still cannot be convinced that he wouldn't have gotten his chance had he not retired. I think he hung 'em up too soon, but these things happen. The hockey life isn't for everyone. A little small and a little slow, but everything else was there. I remember an interesting tidbit about him. Carolina was considering drafting Bob McKenzie's son in the 6th round in the 2006 NHL draft as basically a favor to Bob (confirming nepotism in our late round picks once again) and talked to Bob about how he felt about it. Bob said he didn't want us to draft Mike for anything but his hockey talent. Instead, they asked Bob who they should take with the pick and Bob gave the name of another spark plug kid out of Clarkson in Nick Dodge.

Mike would end up going undrafted and spent his entire 4 years at St. Lawrence. Eventually he signed a PTO with the Albany River Rats and played most of his professional career with the Florida Everblades. Now 28, Mike is an assistant coach for the Kitchener Rangers. Nick Dodge is in a graduate program for Mineral and Energy Economics and has seemingly dabbled in Portfolio management.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Oskar was kind of slow, and would never use his size.

Said his mom went to a game and was made at him for fighting, and he never did it again.

AhoLottaLove

Jun 30, 2010
Kind of surprised that Jamie McBain doesn't have a contract yet. I know he's charmin soft but I would have thought he'd at least get an NHL contract. It was only a few years ago that some people on here thought he could be a top pairing defenseman.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I was one of them... of course, that requires the guy to have a solid offseason work ethic, something we found out a couple years in that he apparently doesn't.

Has all the tools to be a solid NHLer, but honey badger don't care

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Kind of surprised that Jamie McBain doesn't have a contract yet. I know he's charming soft but I would have thought he'd at least get an NHL contract. It was only a few years ago that some people on here thought he could be a top pairing defenseman.

He should go to Europe and tear **** up like Kevin Dallman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad