News Article: News and Note XXX: Now is the Summer of our Don Waddell Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t really care if he stays or goes, but I do think this is an unnecessary distraction in general. Should be nothing but happiness from the season and some of the moves we made, not a daily update on the guy generally credited for all those moves (deserved or not) leaving the team with the owner outwardly saying he’s totes cool with that because he doesn’t believe in contracts or gm’s really as a concept.

I know Minny set this all off by firing Fenton at an interesting time, but I’d rather have this be the beginning of the off season.

Reactions: DaveG

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I hate that this stuff is happening in August most of all. Dundon let Bill Peters wander off the pasture when he had a contract option, and I think it's safe to say that was the right move. So I'm willing to consider that this is the right move as well. just rotten timing, and it will necessitate a corresponding move once Waddell leaves, I would assume.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
What's so bad about the timing? Most of the heavy lifting is done. Yzerman stepped aside right before camp last year I think, and it didn't seem to have much negative effect unless you blame him for the playoff loss 6 months later.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'm only worried about losing Waddell as GM because we saw last season that Dundon had trouble finding someone who would act as the point of contact for the committee. Certainly can't have multiple members taking calls from opposing GMs. Will Dundon go back to trying to poach an assistant GM? Will he try to bring an unemployed GM into this figurehead spot (Hextall or Chiarelli with Borg guardrails)?

All that said, there will also be a need for a new team president. And I think Waddell has done well in that job, as concerned as many of us were at the time he was hired. He did well in that role for Karmanos before Dundon came in. Has Dundon taken over most of that team president role now? I don't think Dundon is doing a lot of day-to-day management of the team operations, but I could be mistaken.

At a minimum, pay Waddell like he's filling two roles in the franchise. Because he is.
Yes, but what does the president actually do? GMBC makes the hockey decisions. If the president is in charge of other areas like sales/marketing/PR/facilities, I'm not sure a hockey person is actually the right person for that job anyway. TD might as well pick a young exec from Top Golf who has energy and ideas about the entertainment business.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I hope it's not one-for-one for Fenton. Let's not play double or quits on the Nino-Rask trade.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Chiarelli has proved multiple times how incompetent he is. I want him no where near this team that finally after all these years has good players.

Could've said the same thing about Waddell last summer.

We’re talking about hockey news in August. That’s a positive, right?

Isn't that what Dundon said he was gonna do?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Dundon is gonna do this weird **** until he fails. It’s the price you pay for having an owner who wants to go against the grain.

Yep. But it's important to consider that while not everything he's touched has turned to gold, he's got a pretty good batting average so far.

Also important to consider that if Waddell does leave, we won't know whether Dundon was right or not right then and there. We'll know he is right if/when the front office takes a downturn.

Dundon's hypothesis is that way more than 32 people in the world can do this job at a high level. We seemingly have one right now. But who's to say whoever comes in behind him won't also be great?

It's easy for us to say "why tempt fate and mess with a good thing?", because it's not our money and it doesn't affect the cap in any real way. Pay him $500,000, $3 million, $5 million, what's it to us? Most of us probably don't even know where to find GM salaries anyway, they're immaterial to even the average die hard fan, so who cares Tom, pay up! But if Tom is right, and there are many others that could do this job at an equal level and a below-average salary, and that salary savings helps us spend to the cap year over year? Then all of the sudden he's on to something.

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
NOT ideal

Tulsky is at the top of their list

Mandrycky is already their director of hockey administration. Unless they're preparing to offer Tulsky a VP position I doubt it happens. Tulsky seems to have more pull in this front office than almost any other analytics expert. Him and Dellow are the only two that are officially VPs.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
NOT ideal

Tulsky is at the top of their list

Same logic applies to Tulksy. If he can go get more money or a better opportunity with Seattle then have at it. There is a reason the Canes have been hiring an analytics team rather than relying on Tulsky alone.

Maybe Rod is an exception to overpay to keep when his contract runs out. Maybe not.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I don’t really care if he stays or goes, but I do think this is an unnecessary distraction in general. Should be nothing but happiness from the season and some of the moves we made, not a daily update on the guy generally credited for all those moves (deserved or not) leaving the team with the owner outwardly saying he’s totes cool with that because he doesn’t believe in contracts or gm’s really as a concept.

I know Minny set this all off by firing Fenton at an interesting time, but I’d rather have this be the beginning of the off season.

"Nothing but happiness" is not how life works.

And the reason we're getting daily updates is because it's summer and there's nothing else to talk about, and this is literally the best time for such moves to happen.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yep. But it's important to consider that while not everything he's touched has turned to gold, he's got a pretty good batting average so far.

Also important to consider that if Waddell does leave, we won't know whether Dundon was right or not right then and there. We'll know if/when he is right if the front office takes a downturn.

Dundon's hypothesis is that way more than 32 people in the world can do this job at a high level. We seemingly have one right now. But who's to say whoever comes in behind him won't also be great?

It's easy for us to say "why tempt fate and mess with a good thing?", because it's not our money and it doesn't affect the cap in any real way. Pay him $500,000, $3 million, $5 million, what's it to us? Most of us probably don't even know where to find GM salaries anyway, they're immaterial to even the average die hard fan so who cares Tom, pay up! But if Tom is right, and there's many others that could do this job at an equal level and a lower-than-average salary, and that salary savings helps us spend to the cap year over year? Then all of the sudden he's on to something.
Very very well put. I think he's probably right in his hypothesis. The only issue becomes is even if people that are young and/or hungry and might like this opportunity have the same feeling that those pushing back against this have. If they think that you have to be paid at a certain level and have to have a contract, even being a nobody that hasn't been in this high level position before, we could run into an issue. I'm still very interested to watch it all play out.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Same logic applies to Tulksy. If he can go get more money or a better opportunity with Seattle then have at it. There is a reason the Canes have been hiring an analytics team rather than relying on Tulsky alone.

Maybe Rod is an exception to overpay to keep when his contract runs out. Maybe not.

Speculation suggests Rod is one of the lower if not the lowest paid HC in the league. He doesn't have a reported salary on CapFriendly but I think that was widely discussed through the rumor mill when he was hired ("Dundon wants to underpay everyone", etc.)

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
"Nothing but happiness" is not how life works.

And the reason we're getting daily updates is because it's summer and there's nothing else to talk about, and this is literally the best time for such moves to happen.
We're also hearing about it a ton because once again it's outside of established and accepted norms. It's going to make noise for the fact that many want to see if fail and that many find it an interesting experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad