Newly sharpened skates are an issue

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Right... so sharpeners are supposed to individually check every blade with a leveler for every skate that comes into their store in order to save a minimal amount of steel? Just doesn't make sense.... like I said the benefits do not outweigh the negatives. You're taking far more time in order to save a bit more steel that will more than likely be useless when the boot falls apart before the blade is anywhere near done.

If I took my skates into your shop, and found you were wasting MY steel because you're too impatient to check...

I'd be p****d off with you...

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
He didn't say what level. He could just be meaning juniors in general i.e teenagers. They could be junior A or junior C or even house players.

I meant Junior C, B, and A which is what we have at my rink... but I didn't mean to limit it to that. We have goalies getting a 1/4" cut anywhere from Bantams up to Jr. A/Men's League/High Schoolers. This goes for players as well.

My proshop is inside an ice rink so maybe that's why I see more varied approaches to skate hollows that TieClark does?

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
I should add that I'm, not arguing you can't skip cross grinding... I'm stating that I don't believe you should skip it because the benefits do not outweigh the negatives imo

I skip cross-grinding unless the skates are either new, extremely rusty, severely nicked up, or the edges are so uneven that it would be quicker and more efficient to just cross-grind them first... otherwise I'm just going with the regular grinding stone from the start. FWIW I've been doing this for 10 years (And I'm only 23 now lol) so I've kind of got the way I do it down to a science.

You definitely don't have to cross-grind every skate you get and it's not really needed unless the blades are severely screwed. With the amount of skates that we do here, cross-grinding each pair would hold the line up.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I meant Junior C, B, and A which is what we have at my rink... but I didn't mean to limit it to that. We have goalies getting a 1/4" cut anywhere from Bantams up to Jr. A/Men's League/High Schoolers. This goes for players as well.

My proshop is inside an ice rink so maybe that's why I see more varied approaches to skate hollows that TieClark does?
No I'm in the rink as well... That level is play isn't the normal level though. Mostly beer leaguers and young kids with a few practices for high level kids

If I took my skates into your shop, and found you were wasting MY steel because you're too impatient to check...

I'd be p****d off with you...
You'd be pissed off with nearly every skate sharpening store in the GTA then. Fwiw I'm the most experienced sharpener at my rink with people who come in only when I'm there so it's not as if I'm new to this.

I skip cross-grinding unless the skates are either new, extremely rusty, severely nicked up, or the edges are so uneven that it would be quicker and more efficient to just cross-grind them first... otherwise I'm just going with the regular grinding stone from the start. FWIW I've been doing this for 10 years (And I'm only 23 now lol) so I've kind of got the way I do it down to a science.

You definitely don't have to cross-grind every skate you get and it's not really needed unless the blades are severely screwed. With the amount of skates that we do here, cross-grinding each pair would hold the line up.
No you don't have to cross grind every skate. My point was the opposite of your last sentence. IMO it drastically saves time to simply cross grind and start fresh on every skate. In order to get through the amount of sharpens that come into a busy establishment you have to be quick while also providing quality sharpens and cross grinding allows for that.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Where are you working that you're doing 100 sharpenings in such a "limited time?"

Look, we're obviously not going to change your mind since you work in the largest hockey area in the world and obviously know better than anyone else, however, you dont even want to think about the idea you could be wrong when you're the only one on here stating what you're stating and there are a bunch of other knowledgeable people here stating otherwise? Even when I "know" I'm right, when I start to face 3 or 4 others saying I'm not, I will start to consider the possibility I might be wrong.:sarcasm:

I work at a rink in the GTA. When you have 4 rinks full from 8am to 11 pm you can imagine the sharpens that come in.

You also have people on here trying to state that a 1/4" cut is normal for a goalie. I think people are looking at this from a standpoint of doing their own skates are home or in a small mom and pop shop compared to a business that is full constantly. Ideally you'd like to be able to take your time, level the blade before and after sharpening, ensure all the rivets and what not and secured etc. but that isn't realistic when there are a dozen skates waiting to be sharpened.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I have the opposite issue. I can't seem to find a place that does them sharp enough. I get them done, they feel "ok" for a couple minutes then it goes away. I love a nice deep bite into the ice when I push.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I have the opposite issue. I can't seem to find a place that does them sharp enough. I get them done, they feel "ok" for a couple minutes then it goes away. I love a nice deep bite into the ice when I push.
You could try a smaller radius.... Do you know what you get now?

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
No I'm in the rink as well... That level is play isn't the normal level though. Mostly beer leaguers and young kids with a few practices for high level kids

You'd be pissed off with nearly every skate sharpening store in the GTA then. Fwiw I'm the most experienced sharpener at my rink with people who come in only when I'm there so it's not as if I'm new to this.

No you don't have to cross grind every skate. My point was the opposite of your last sentence. IMO it drastically saves time to simply cross grind and start fresh on every skate. In order to get through the amount of sharpens that come into a busy establishment you have to be quick while also providing quality sharpens and cross grinding allows for that.

or you learn to sharpen without cross grinding, as most sharpeners do. no need to strip the whole car of paint to fix a rock chip

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
I work at a rink in the GTA. When you have 4 rinks full from 8am to 11 pm you can imagine the sharpens that come in.

You also have people on here trying to state that a 1/4" cut is normal for a goalie. I think people are looking at this from a standpoint of doing their own skates are home or in a small mom and pop shop compared to a business that is full constantly. Ideally you'd like to be able to take your time, level the blade before and after sharpening, ensure all the rivets and what not and secured etc. but that isn't realistic when there are a dozen skates waiting to be sharpened.

if you read carefully you will see that people are suggesting that normal for modern goalies are between 1/2 and 1/4

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
or you learn to sharpen without cross grinding, as most sharpeners do. no need to strip the whole car of paint to fix a rock chip
There is no learning to do anything, it's the same thing. You're just completely ignorant to the sheer amount of business that goes through these businesses which renders a consistently good sharpen close to impossible without cross grinding

if you read carefully you will see that people are suggesting that normal for modern goalies are between 1/2 and 1/4
Which also isn't true

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
There is no learning to do anything, it's the same thing. You're just completely ignorant to the sheer amount of business that goes through these businesses which renders a consistently good sharpen close to impossible without cross grinding

Which also isn't true

i have been in busy shops, extremely busy shops and they still dont cross grind every pair of skates. your also making an excuse to take an easy way out of the job. a quality sharpening can easily be done without crossgrinding skates

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I <3 my sharp skates, I'm not even that good of a skater but I just feel I have more control when it's really sharp.

If you need to dull them though, what I typically do is go to the doors on the bench and just slide it across the plastic floorboard at the bench doors once or twice in each direction to dull them down. Always does the trick for me.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York

LOL nowadays, a normal goalie cut is anywhere from 1/4" - 1/2". I see these hollows for goalies way more than I see 5/8" or more shallow. 10 years ago I saw less goalies getting deep hollows, but even then, they were.

We get tons of sharpenings in our 3 surface rink so I know all about volume. I, personally, take my time leveling each and every skate and I still get it done faster than I would if I cross-grinded every single one. If you're good, you can level the skate off pretty quickly WITHOUT cross-grinding it or using silly gauges. I think it's hilarious when customers ask me if they can see our gauge on their skates lol.

Aucoin11*

LOL nowadays, a normal goalie cut is anywhere from 1/4" - 1/2". I see these hollows for goalies way more than I see 5/8" or more shallow. 10 years ago I saw less goalies getting deep hollows, but even then, they were.

We get tons of sharpenings in our 3 surface rink so I know all about volume. I, personally, take my time leveling each and every skate and I still get it done faster than I would if I cross-grinded every single one. If you're good, you can level the skate off pretty quickly WITHOUT cross-grinding it or using silly gauges. I think it's hilarious when customers ask me if they can see our gauge on their skates lol.

Don't bother with the brick wall. He sharpens for the GTA baby!

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa

Not true at all. I can get a skate level with an existing hollow faster than it takes to actually cross grind the skate. With the 5 or 6 passes it will take on the cross grinder, I can already be level.

Completely false. We handle plenty of tournaments where entire teams want a sharpening before their game in an hour and we dont cross grind and we make sure all the skates are perfect. As a matter of fact, there are days where we're changing steel or doing rivets for these teams at the same time.

Its entirely possible if you have people that know what they're doing.

But Aucoin is right. No sense continuing to argue as we all know that if its a 4 sheet rink in the GTA which is the world center of hockey, and he's the most experienced, then we are all just pawns in his world that dont know what we're talking about.

forbs02

Blergh
Jun 17, 2008

You really should use an edge gauge. It is impossible to eyeball if a skate is completely level. If you can see that the edge is off, it is really off. It is a $100 investment to get a level from Blademaster and it will help to improve the quality of your edges. A dime or a credit card is not an accurate gauge.

clayman

Apr 22, 2012
Tigard, Oregon
That was another part of it. With regular sharpenings, even at the same shop it was somewhat inconsistent depending on who did it. With FBV, it seems much more consistent. I've only had two "bad" sharpenings with FBV the last few years. Many more than that with regular sharpenings.

What does FBV stand for? What exactly is it?

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Or you could just put more passes on them for him.:shakehead
Way to take out of context

That simply is not the case. 1/4" is severely extreme for either a skater or a goalie.

Cross grinding takes 2 seconds to do so I seriously doubt that. If it's slow and you have the time the check the level and see if there's any nicks or anything than sure. But when there are 10 skates lined up it's far quicker to just run it through the cross grinder.

Not true at all. I can get a skate level with an existing hollow faster than it takes to actually cross grind the skate. With the 5 or 6 passes it will take on the cross grinder, I can already be level.
5 or 6 passes? Seriously? No wonder you're whining about taking too much steel off, it takes 2 tops.

Completely false. We handle plenty of tournaments where entire teams want a sharpening before their game in an hour and we dont cross grind and we make sure all the skates are perfect. As a matter of fact, there are days where we're changing steel or doing rivets for these teams at the same time.

Its entirely possible if you have people that know what they're doing.
We as in several people? Little bit easier when there is a team of staff doing it.

But Aucoin is right. No sense continuing to argue as we all know that if its a 4 sheet rink in the GTA which is the world center of hockey, and he's the most experienced, then we are all just pawns in his world that dont know what we're talking about.
Sure thing bud. I'm not the one acting high and mighty here.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
just keep making excuses to take the easy way out. what ever would you do without a flat stone

Aucoin11*

Sure thing bud. I'm not the one acting high and mighty here.

Actually,

5 or 6 passes? Seriously? No wonder you're whining about taking too much steel off, it takes 2 tops.

We as in several people? Little bit easier when there is a team of staff doing it.

Yeah, and thats from only one page of this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad