Newly sharpened skates are an issue

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
You really should use an edge gauge. It is impossible to eyeball if a skate is completely level. If you can see that the edge is off, it is really off. It is a $100 investment to get a level from Blademaster and it will help to improve the quality of your edges. A dime or a credit card is not an accurate gauge.

Oh... we have one, I just don't find myself needing it too often. I've talked to NHL sharpeners before and they eyeball it most of the time as well. I do a good enough job without it but if someone wants me to use it I will.

I've never even thought about using a dime or credit card, but I've seen customers who don't know me doing it to my sharpenings sometimes haha.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
Way to take out of context

Just repeating what you said.

That simply is not the case. 1/4" is severely extreme for either a skater or a goalie.

Skater yes, goalie not so much.

5 or 6 passes? Seriously? No wonder you're whining about taking too much steel off, it takes 2 tops.

You cant get a blade completely flat in two passes on a cross grinder. At least not when just using light pressure as you should be. Running the blade lightly across the grinder and then checking after each pass to make sure you only grind till you're flat or have gotten and nick or deformity out of the blade that had you grinding to begin with.

We as in several people? Little bit easier when there is a team of staff doing it.

We as in our shop. I only have one person in the sharpening room at a time.

Sure thing bud. I'm not the one acting high and mighty here.

I'm not the one that has repeatedly said he works in the GTA, the largest hockey area in the world trying to make everyone else think that you must know what you're doing if you work there. Yet you still havent actually told us where you work, so you must not be too proud of it.

But I'm done now as nothing is going to change your mind from thinking you know it all.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Wellllllll....now that I've started World Wars 3 and 4, to get back on topic, I skated on a 5/8 last night, and it was a significant improvement. I had used a 9/16 for my prior recent sharpenings, and even though its only 1/16th of a change it seemed a huge difference.

I had a different person sharpen them last night than my usual guy, and since I have 2 pairs of G70s will have this new guy do my other pair of them as well, also to 5/8ths. I want to learn if it was perhaps my longtime sharpener who was more of an issue than the cut size.....will know this weekend as I have several skates coming up and can test both skates at 5/8ths.

wondeROY

Apr 19, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Wellllllll....now that I've started World Wars 3 and 4, to get back on topic, I skated on a 5/8 last night, and it was a significant improvement. I had used a 9/16 for my prior recent sharpenings, and even though its only 1/16th of a change it seemed a huge difference.

I had a different person sharpen them last night than my usual guy, and since I have 2 pairs of G70s will have this new guy do my other pair of them as well, also to 5/8ths. I want to learn if it was perhaps my longtime sharpener who was more of an issue than the cut size.....will know this weekend as I have several skates coming up and can test both skates at 5/8ths.

That no doubt will make a huge difference, even going from 1/2 to 5/8 I noticed a big difference. I've been on 5/8 the last year. If you like 5/8, you should try a 3/4 just for kicks sometime, you might really like it. I just don't like much edge at all and I've turned several of my friends onto 5/8 and 3/4 cuts and they love them.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
That no doubt will make a huge difference, even going from 1/2 to 5/8 I noticed a big difference. I've been on 5/8 the last year. If you like 5/8, you should try a 3/4 just for kicks sometime, you might really like it. I just don't like much edge at all and I've turned several of my friends onto 5/8 and 3/4 cuts and they love them.

You know of what you speak. 5/8ths is the solution I have searched for, and can say that after spending almost 3 years of trying different cuts - I had both pairs of my Grafs cut to 5/8ths to make certain it was suitable, can say that I have finally found the Holy Grail :handclap: :yo:

With 5/8 = 10/16, going 2 settings down to 12/16 would probably feel like wearing frying pans on my feet: no edge at all. Perhaps for the heck of it maybe I'll try that one day.

The interesting thing is that at 5/8, i can float and glide comfortably - but can also stop on a dime if need be even at maximum speed. While the process of elimination trying different cut sizes was long and a hassle, it was worth it in the end to find the absolute "right" cut.

Hopefully, with two pairs of Graf G70s in hand for purposes of lasting me for the next 20-25 years of hockey, this will never be an issue again during my playing "career."

Last edited:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Does the ice you play at have any bearing on what cut to get?

When I first started the pro shop guy told me to go 1/2 cuz during the summer the ice isn't as hard.

1/2 feels good for me, but I want to try other stuff.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Does the ice you play at have any bearing on what cut to get?

When I first started the pro shop guy told me to go 1/2 cuz during the summer the ice isn't as hard.

1/2 feels good for me, but I want to try other stuff.

Yes it does, some people get different cuts at different times of year due to ice conditions. I've always had my 100/50 at all times though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad